Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6.5 Grendel

usmc1974

Oh boy we seem to have made the leap to angry faces here. My posts often come off with more than a hint of sarcasm or snarkiness. That's not usually how they're intended. So let's start over fresh Usmc. To answer your question honestly, I do not know, I don't have the good fortune to shoot that far very often and do not yet own a Grendel. But my brain wants to theorize that a 6.5 bullet launched at a similar speed with a similar BC as a 30 cal bullet would do similar things at that range. So... I guess whatever length you would need for a 308. The twist rates I see commonly are 1-7.5" and 1-8". That seems to do the trick for the Grendel.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shoot that 178 load out of my bolt gun. I was lucky that it was sub MOA out of my gas gun as well. I carry the bolt as a back up at the DM matches, so two different types of ammo would be just be something else to keep up with. As for the 110 VMax, the BC sucks. It a good light recoiling 3 gun load which is what that article is referring to, but you won't find anyone running it at a precision match. IF you ever see a 3 gun target that far it's at least a full sized IPSC. We're shooting 1-2 MOA targets. With a little wind won't be hitting a 12" target at 600 with any kind of consistency. Shade half of it with a no shoot and you're screwed.

As for the Grendle, it will hang with the 308 all day long out to about 800. Farther than that there are much better choices than either. It is the best choice for extended range shooting out of the AR 15 platform. Add in the fact that you can pick up great match ammo off the shelf and it's a no brainier.

Edited by LSnSC

Concerning price…. Alexander Arms makes a really usable complete upper in 6.5 Grendel for around $800. For me, that was a fairly affordable way to get into a longer range cartridge that didn't necessitate a new lower or separate rifle. The glass you put on it is another matter :)

^This^

800 is not a bad price to get into Precision rifle, pair it with a good lower that you already have. Factory ammo is crazy accurate, or handloads with 107s- 123grain bullets and go to town. Berger, Hornady, Sierra, Nosler all make great variety of 6.5's in hunting and match/target bullets. It also doubles as a great hunting round for medium game.

Now for the glass....buy once cry once!

Edited by NateTSU

Made it to the range yesterday and came away with a big smile. Now to the story - over the past week I've been thinking about conversation here and the homework I've been putting in on the 6.5G. Having little time to spare Friday because of kids, candy, and spookyness I invited a buddy to go with and witness (call shots) for an hour or so. We get there, pull up the current weather, and get it programmed into strelok. Get settled in and dial dopes for a 646yd 10" plate, pew/dong 3x. Smile from ear to ear. Danced with steel out to 900 for 7 more shots with 2 misses. First time I've been able to do this.

Made it to the range yesterday and came away with a big smile. Now to the story - over the past week I've been thinking about conversation here and the homework I've been putting in on the 6.5G. Having little time to spare Friday because of kids, candy, and spookyness I invited a buddy to go with and witness (call shots) for an hour or so. We get there, pull up the current weather, and get it programmed into strelok. Get settled in and dial dopes for a 646yd 10" plate, pew/dong 3x. Smile from ear to ear. Danced with steel out to 900 for 7 more shots with 2 misses. First time I've been able to do this.

Now this guy is bonafided. been down in the chit(not just numbers on a paper), know for a fact what he is talking about,and came out a winner.

123 Amax over 8208. All the guys I know shooting Grendels at extended ranges are running that

load or Hornady factory ammo. My teammate uses that load out of his 22" Grendle and was hammering the 1 MOA target at 600 while we were getting ready for Woodys match. That bullet has a .510 BC and feeds reliably.

Well Sterling, while playing amateur armchair ballistician, it would seem to me that any 120 or heavier grain bullet would have a significantly higher BC that would make your 900yd shots much easier with any kind of wind. Again, these are observations made from the comfort of my living room, not based on any experience with the loads. So I'm not calling your 100 Amax load bad, just maybe not the best tool for those ranges.

Hello Tony,

Yes, the range has a piece of steel - appx 16x16 at 900. The loads are very consistent and not showing signs of pressure. Thanks. What would you consider the finest recipe?

Sterling would you take this load out to 1300 on a 16x18 steel then 1400 on say a 36x24 steel.

Hello Tony,

Yes, the range has a piece of steel - appx 16x16 at 900. The loads are very consistent and not showing signs of pressure. Thanks. What would you consider the finest recipe?

Sterling would you take this load out to 1300 on a 16x18 steel then 1400 on say a 36x24 steel.

Run the numbers. That load goes subsonic somewhere around 1000 (If Hornady's published G1 BC is correct) and it's only going 840fps at 1400. You could take that load out there, but it may not make it. It would depend entirely on how stable that bullet remains when going subsonic. A 6.5 Creedmoor has about 140 inches LESS of drift in 10mph wind at that distance and is still above 1500fps.

I know 6.5 Creemoor to Grendel isnt Apples to Apples. But if you just want to shoot a Grendel at 1400 yards, possibly get a hit and then thump your chest saying you did it, then good. The Grendel is perfect for that.

Hello Tony,

Run the numbers. That load goes subsonic somewhere around 1000 (If Hornady's published G1 BC is correct) and it's only going 840fps at 1400. You could take that load out there, but it may not make it. It would depend entirely on how stable that bullet remains when going subsonic. A 6.5 Creedmoor has about 140 inches LESS of drift in 10mph wind at that distance and is still above 1500fps.

I know 6.5 Creemoor to Grendel isnt Apples to Apples. But if you just want to shoot a Grendel at 1400 yards, possibly get a hit and then thump your chest saying you did it, then good. The Grendel is perfect for that.

I have only hit the big guy a few time but I did it with my winchester model 70 with 26 inch barrel and a 175hpbt m going 2800 fps. I you can believe I did thump my chest as you put it. Even did the pee pee dance. You know OH yea baby I ment to do that ...lol

I am sick of folks just" running the numbers" I can do tha all day. Sterling sent rounds down range .All I have at the topeka range is 300. spearpoint goes out to 1400 and at a match you only get two shots at the big guy per match.

Edited by usmc1974

Honestly, I've never really considered going beyond 900 because that is all we have at the range and the long range targets at the Ironman 3g competition are within that distance. You've given me something to think about with the 123's.

PP dance :roflol: Anytime you get a hit over 1200 its worth celebrating in my books! :cheers: