Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6.5 Grendel

usmc1974

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may not be perfect combo but I like the AR15 platform and think the round does well, at least in my rifle.

20" Krieger 1:9 barrel

Maxim bolt

Mega receivers

photo_zps0f29212c.jpg

I have been doing testing on the factory Hornady 123gr SST. 2540fps av.

I took these videos through my spotting scope. I shot first at 500. Hit steel on th first shot. Then I shot two rounds at the clay, first off the right edge, 2nd shot dead on. Second video I go from 500 to 750, listen to the scope dial for proof of first round hit. Then first round on a 12" plate. I then tried to shoot the little tennis ball to the right of the steel. I couldn't quite get the wind figured out, but I have the elevation figured out on that particular round.

I have had a lot of fun with it so far. I will be putting some 123gr AMAX loads together soon to test. I understand them to have a better BC than the SST even though Hornady lists them as the same.

ETA: for a little more info.

Edited by bigbear_98

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My AA Overwatch has a 24" barrel. Super accurate. Took a friend out to the range last week. It was his first time shooting rifles at any distance. Within three rounds, he was hitting steel plates at 500 yards.

Saw an awesome Grendel at SCOTG on Monday. Had a straight jacket barrel system on it. It was pretty cool. If you are wondering about this cartridge, Bo showed me a picture of a full size ipsc target at 1k with three nice dings right in the middle of the head. Head shots at 1k? That's getting it done.

Don't remember the length. It was a little long, but not too long if you know what I'm saying. Nice rifle. I know that you are giving up some velocity over big cartridges, but, using a small frame ar is a big plus if you like them, which I do. I'm going to build another ar, but right now I'm one step away from the doghouse in a big way and need to let things cool off around here a little.

• 1 month later...

Finally got a little trigger time behind a Grendel! My brothers long awaited JP arrived last Saturday and we got it out to my backyard on Sunday. Range was limited to sight in at 100yds mostly because of some heavy rain causing visibility problems and time/ammo expenditure was limited to 50 rounds by numb trigger fingers and an impatient pregnant sister-in-law....

First the bad news: we had some difficulty getting the gas tuned for reliability. I kept opening it up till it stopped short stroking then it started having bolt over case misfeeds while also only locking back on the carrier rather than the bolt. I eventually ended up with the GB wide open and the problem seemed to be diminishing from about 30% failure to around 10% by the time our session got cut short. The only other problem was user error: I assumed the Burris PEPR mount that was on the rifle when my brother brought it over was properly tightened. It was not, and I spent the first box of ammo being disappointed in either my group shooting abilities or the rifle. Glad to discover the problem before there was any permanent damage to my ego.

The good news: once the mount was tightened up it started shooting 3 shot groups at or slightly under .5 using factory 123gr Amax loads and my Vortex HS-LR 4-16x scope. Once my confidence returned I started shooting 5 shot groups, with the average hovering at 1", almost all of them with 4 shots touching and a fifth flyer that was my fault. I think the rifle could be a laser beam with someone who enjoys hole punching behind it. The really weird thing is that his 18" rifle length gas 6.5 Grendel JP with the LMOS system seems to shoot softer than my quarter pound heavier, 16" mid length 223 frankenrifle with a JP LMOS carrier, gutted buffer, TTI spring, Gas Hog comp and adjustable gas. Juries still out on that one though, I've only shot the JP from prone with winter gear on so it may feel differently when shooting offhand.

I'll have to update when we get a few more rounds downrange and stretch it's legs out a bit more, but I'll say I'm impressed with the cartridge thus far and I'm sure I'll be pleased with the rifle once we get the reliability issues ironed out.

Edited by TonytheTiger