Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6.5 Grendel

usmc1974

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooh I love me some graphs! I wasn't aware hornady had a 100gr 6.5 A max. Learn something everyday. Now a wind drift chart would really complete my day, though I think the 123gr A max is the only way the 6.5 can hang with a heavy .30 in the wind. And are you using the same barrel length for this comparison? I ask because it would seem the 175gr SMK load was coming out of a shorter tube.

You are correct, I guess I was just thinking hornady products. Probably because they're factory ammo is a lot cheaper than the AA Scenar loads. I think I recently saw a 130gr factory match load somewhere too, don't remember the details though.

Muzzle velocities were based on 10 shots to calculate an average. One of my goals has been to set up 2 systems that shoot about the same for 3g competitions, ie., 556/762. And another goal has been to rock the long-range targets at Ironman with the Grendel. This goal has been a challenge and has not been met. For various reasons I haven't been able to put that one together.

You are correct, I guess I was just thinking hornady products. Probably because they're factory ammo is a lot cheaper than the AA Scenar loads. I think I recently saw a 130gr factory match load somewhere too, don't remember the details though.

I haven't got my rifle setup yet so I've got no load data to compare. On paper, the Lapua 123gr beats the Hornady 123gr but I'm not sure that it beats it enough to make up for the cost differential. Distance and wind are going to be more important than drop.

I've had a 6.5 Grendel for the past year or so. AA Overwatch Upper with 24" barrel & AR15 lower. The Grendel mags I have are made by AR Stoner and came from Midway.

I've shot some of the Precision Firearms 123 grain Scenar as well as Hornady 123 grain SST. Both grouped sub-moa from my rifle, and I'm just an average long range shooter. It's an excellent round and let's AR15 owners experiment with 6.5mm without investing in a whole new rifle.

Sterling, any chance you could elaborate some more on your Grendel for 3g troubles? Reason I ask is my brother has a 6.5G on the way from JP and I'm hoping I ccan convince him to dabble in 3g or more likely PRS type matches so his high dollar rifle actually sees some use.

I haven't got my rifle setup yet so I've got no load data to compare. On paper, the Lapua 123gr beats the Hornady 123gr but I'm not sure that it beats it enough to make up for the cost differential. Distance and wind are going to be more important than drop.

.1 - .2 mils better to me isn't worth the 60% or so increase in cost. The factory Hornady Amax is a real gem, good accuracy, good velocity and a great value you can find them on sale which makes them cheaper than you could make yourself if using new brass.

Edited by BrianATL

Would like to preface this by saying that I reload and rarely purchase factory. Been like that since I was 12 in my grandpa's shop.

In prep for the Ironman 2011 I got the items needed for reloading the 6.5G - bullets, dies, etc... In short order was at the range testing it and the first issue that I had to solve was magazine problems. The problem wasn't the actual magazine but the OAL of the rounds. I had followed recommendation that I had read from others and the rounds were a frogs hair too long and dragging in the mag so I shortened them. Next issue was some brass worked and some didn't. This gremlin liked to have driven me knutz. So I went back to the books, read up on case dimensions, and found that some of the cases had an OAL that was out of spec. I purchased a trimmer that sized off of the neck and solved another issue - now all cases were sized, trimmed, and with a little inside chamfering ready for reloading. Finally after several months of frustration and problem solving I worked through the issues and focussed on reloading.

I loaded 108's and 123's for a short period of time however didn't have my dopes properly mapped when I got to Parma. The weather, altitude, and conditions were a lot different - I wasn't ready and hit 50% of long-range. So I go home and forget about the rifle and it sits. Before long its time to get ready for the Ironman and I didn't put the time in so being behind the 8-ball I worked on loading and practicing three maybe four times before 2012 match. This time I managed to rock 80% of the lr targets but timed out on the stage - not a good thing. It wasn't the guns fault or that of reloading errors as I had blundered earlier on some sg slugs that put me behind.

It was somewhere in 2013 that I switched to 100 AMAX's. Opted for a little more speed instead of BC.

This past year and again this year at Ironman the winds were terrible when it was my time to go on the stage. Not feeling confident calling wind I decided to go with my stage time and not try to create a greater overall time by engaging long-range targets. A roll of the dice.

The lessons learned so far with the 6.5G include:

you need to spend some time in good shell prep and trimming

manage the OAL for magazines so they function

test loads with a chrono

enter the data into a good on-the-fly ballistic calculator like strelok pro

keep notes about conditions, etc... when you do practice

and put in some quality practice time at long distances (400 - 1000 yds) A 100-300 range isn't going to cut it when it calls on hitting a target at 650+/-

Hats off to the PRS guys/gals. It's a fraternity all to their own.

Edited by Sterling White

That's quite the tale of woe. Hopefully anyone attempting the same thing took notes. Anyone see that AA had the long awaited Wolf ammo? I'm sure it's not accurate enough for what most Grendel people intend to do but it could really help the cartridge catch on. Ammo cost is what I theorize is keeping the average gun guys away from things like the Grendel or 6.8.

Sterling hit the mark on one very important point. Wind resistance is one of the most important factors. You have to know your ballistics. Don't get hung up on velocity and drop but ignore wind - it'll get you every time. Use a good ballistics program (JBM online is a good start) and study different loads. Then find what's best for the shooting you will be doing.