Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 19 open pistol anyone?

mach1soldier

Before I get flamed too bad.. I am trying to build my wife a pistol to shoot. I already have glock 19 gen 4.

Thinking I will put a trijicon RMR on it with a magwell and get the biggest mags I can and still be open class. That and a compensated barrel. Sticking with 9mm Minor since she just wants low recoil. Being competitive is not a big deal. She just wants to shoot and have fun.

Thoughts?

I am trying to build my wife a pistol. I have a Glock 19 gen 4.

Thinking I will put a trijicon RMR on it with a magwell and get the biggest mags and a compensated barrel in 9mm Minor

She just wants to shoot and have fun.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a GREAT idea, to me. :bow:

Nice way to get into the sport, enjoy yourself and have a little fun.

If she gets really good and feels the gun is holding her back, that

would be the time to get a TruBor 9mm major.

How experienced is she, and what has she been shooting? :cheers:

They make excellent slide conversions to take a 19 frame with a 17 or a 34 slide on it. I like it. I have smaller hands and have a h*ll of a time getting around the full size guns. I plan on making one like this here is the link to Lone Wolf they are the ones who make it.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=255

This way you can just swap the slides and switch between classes if you want to shoot multiple ones. I want to use my 19 for production and ssp and switch over to the conversion for open. Save some money I would think.

Wonder if I would have to work up 2 different loads for these

Edited by wamcei

Don't bother with the ported barrel :sight: they don't do squat!

Plus you have to drill the slide to match the holes on a 19.

Too much hassle for a little gun. Just dot it and shoot minor.

Wouldn't have to drill holes, on the short guns the ports are past the end of the slide. But it still probably isn't worth it, though maybe with really light bullets (like 95s) you could make an almost steel challenge load that would be able to run a little flatter?

Or leave it be and call it a day.

I had an M&P pro set up just like that, and it was a ton of fun! I didn't make major, but didn't care. The Mrs liked it, too, since she could shoot without worrying about much. Sold it this year with everything though... Not sure I'll build another right now, I found myself having trouble with iron sights after that.

I shoot an Open 19. It fits my small hands better. Recently added a magwell and grip tape (no current pics).

With the right load that porting works great. With a red dot, sight radius isn't an issue. I don't see any real disadvantage to the smaller gun, its actually lighter and more maneuverable (by a tiny margin, mind you).

Edited by jrizzo

One of my friends runs a Glock 19C with an RMR on it in Open. He did the same with the mags, using the 170mm mags to get capacity. He also shoot 9 minor with it. It's the gun he had and he didn't do a thing to it for USPSA other than get the longer magazines. He's not really competitive with those of us running full open rigs, but he likes it and has fun, so he doesn't care.