Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flat shooting Vs Soft shooting

anilson

I have done 121's for a few years now but recently tried 115's. Much more violent with the extra half grain of powder. Actually not much fun for plinking! lol But, I have noticed my follow up shots are much tighter. I have had a slew of near perfect doubles since switching! Now if I run some of my old loads they feel really soft.

Current setup is 5" STI no holes w Cheely comp. MG 115 JHP 7.8 Autocomp @ 1.165. 175 PF

When I build my next open gun my first priority will be a swift sight return. I want it to cycle and give me a usable dot again as soon as possible. Second would be light, neutral handling.

That will likely not be soft, and may or may not be flat. As long as the muzzle rise or harshness doesn't keep me from my points per second I can deal with them.

Hello: I prefer a flat shooting gun. I have played around a little with different setups and for me, flat is faster on the timer. I also shoot a very light weight open pistol so it reacts very quickly. You can have a softer shooting pistol by using different powders and bullet weights. I am a 115grain guy and yes I shoot 9mm. Thanks, Eric

I just want to dot to return to the same point of aim in a nice straight trackable line. that is usually easier with a soft gun compared to an flat gun. The gun I shoot now is neither soft not flat, but it returns to POA nicely

Edited by Supermoto

A good question. I have 2 open guns.

The first is an older gun from the 175 PF days. I ran about 182 to 185 PF back then. The muzzle blast and recoil was nasty but the gun recoiled straight back with very little dot movement. After a match I could feel some soreness in my strong hand.

The second is a shorty set up for the lower PF. It shoots very soft but much more dot movement. Most of the movement is most likely due to me not figuring out how to deal with the vertical movement of the barrel (recoil). It is a very fun gun to shoot. Maybe someday I will learn how to shoot it.

The first gun and high PF ammo is my favorite. It is so easy on follow up shots and easy to turn the speed up.

Aics,

what is the comp setup on the older high PF gun? Do you have any barrel ports?

The gun is a Caspian slide and frame. The barrel is a Hybi-Comp with 4 big holes in the barrel. The comp has 3 vertical slots and 1 horizontal slot on each side of the end of the comp.

It is a heavy gun ( have not weighed it ) with full mag of 28 and 1. I'm slow out of the holster with it but once on target it is fast. A lot faster than I'll ever be.