Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Side chargers

georgebarnes754

I have a rather unique problem with my new rifle build and had to raise my cheekpiece, and now can't charge the rifle as the riser is in the way. I'm going to cut my DPMS slick side upper into a side charger, easiest solution I can come up with (and my form is fine, somebody suggested I change that but I'm shooting quite well so I'm not willing to change). Does anybody know a good gunsmith to cut a DPMS lo pro flat top upper and JP lo mass bolt carrier and add a handle?

I've got an LAR side charge and really like it. Unfortunately, since Remington bought LAR they probably won't be available again. Crosshill - sold by JoeBob's - seems to be the same thing. All you need is a slot on the left and a threaded hole in the bolt carrier to accomplish this. MOA could probably do it as they are doing that operation on the Stoeger 3000s.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Crosshill_Technologies_XSR_15_Side_Charge_Upper_A_p/cht-xsr-15-ambi.htm

http://moaprecision.com/contact/

You would need to call Tom @ MOA and ask about that.

Slotting the receiver and drilling the carrier is difficult with the JP low mass, as the plated ones are harder than woodpecker lips. I ran a right hand sidecharger on mine before I went to the low mass. My left-handed sponsored shooter had me put a left-side charger on his which came out really nice. Here is what his looked like- we plugged the CH slot at the rear. It can be done, but the JP carrier MUST be cut with carbide.

Edit- Believe it or not, that WAS a DPMS lo-pro upper before it went on a diet :) The walls are easily twice as thick as necessary, and a noticeable amount of weight was trimmed off while we had it in the mill

post-48876-0-17058500-1413470244_thumb.j

Edited by openclassterror

Openclassterror, do you have any pics of the right side charger? I'm lefthanded, and I've always wanted an AR with a charging handle like on my Saiga, Benelli, M1 Carbine, M1A, etc. What does it take to do this? Anyone make such a beast?

I've got an LAR side charge and really like it. Unfortunately, since Remington bought LAR they probably won't be available again. Crosshill - sold by JoeBob's - seems to be the same thing. All you need is a slot on the left and a threaded hole in the bolt carrier to accomplish this. MOA could probably do it as they are doing that operation on the Stoeger 3000s.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Crosshill_Technologies_XSR_15_Side_Charge_Upper_A_p/cht-xsr-15-ambi.htm

http://moaprecision.com/contact/

You would need to call Tom @ MOA and ask about that.

This is correct. LAR was sold and Remington didn't want to continue building the side charging upper. I'm not sure if Crosshill bought the patent, or how that worked, but they are producing the same product that LAR was!

That being said, I have a Crosshill upper and absolutely LOVE it! I wish they would get their lowers done to match up, but when I asked, they said they're a little ways out.

Here is one in progress prior to polishing and blending to the buffer tube area of the lower. Handle is knurled aluminum, held by SS Allen-head threaded into carrier. This style is typical of High-power side chargers. Most any top-notch High-Power gunsmith could do one similar. It is not necessary to slab-side the receiver, it is done purely to reduce unnecessary weight.

post-48876-0-03402400-1413480984_thumb.j

Edited by openclassterror

Slotting the receiver and drilling the carrier is difficult with the JP low mass, as the plated ones are harder than woodpecker lips. I ran a right hand sidecharger on mine before I went to the low mass. My left-handed sponsored shooter had me put a left-side charger on his which came out really nice. Here is what his looked like- we plugged the CH slot at the rear. It can be done, but the JP carrier MUST be cut with carbide.

Edit- Believe it or not, that WAS a DPMS lo-pro upper before it went on a diet :) The walls are easily twice as thick as necessary, and a noticeable amount of weight was trimmed off while we had it in the mill

that is awesome!

John at White Oak Armament was charging 125.00 and George at EGW done some. I have 2 of the WOA and I do like the side charger over a standard system. One thing to remember if you stack your mags together, make sure you have room for your mag change. I learned that the hard way and it cost me a match win. Rookie mistake !!! If Tom is doing the conversion at MOA, I can speak for his work and it is world class. Plus he is a stand up guy to work with. He done my Stoeger and it is awesome.

Tommy Roupe THR Technologies/Roupe Grips

I got a gibbz arms side charge upper that I am using

Not sure why, but I started looking into side charging uppers and am struck by the fact that some are on the left, some on the right, and a couple on both. Makes me wonder which would work better and why.

With the Gibbz, it looks like there is a cover that extends back when the charger is pulled. Is that correct? How far back? Looks like perhaps 6"?

Also, Gibbz claims you can pull it back and lock it with one hand. Can't see how that's possible. Anyone try it?