Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sighting in STI Eagle question

shotgunone

I recently bought a new STI Eagle in 9mm from Dawson Precisions. Had the CRP package with a Hard Chrome refinish done. I like the gun, shoots great, only have about 400 rds. down range so far. And not a single FTF or FTE problem. Matter of fact this thing fed empty cases from day one. I've never had a gun do that.

My problem seems to be the sights. It seems like I had to crank a lot of right windage in to get it to center on the target. Not saying it couldn't be me, since it was off to the left. But even off a sand bag rest at about 20 yards they were about 3 or 3 1/2 inches to the left. after adjusting the rear sight for center the blade was flush on the left side and overhanging the rest on the right side. When I picked up spent brass I noticed the primer wasn't center struck but I don't know which way it is off. And I don't know how to check it to see if the barrel alignment is part of the problem.

I may just need to put some more ammo thru it. It is my first 2011 (I have shot lots of glocks and 1911's.) so maybe getting familiar is the answer. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Tony

Front sight is pretty well centered best I can tell. It looks centered and I put the slide on a granite precision stone and the sight height from each side of the slide and it was less than .005 difference. Yea I probably need to get some other shooters opinions. That's a good idea.

Thanks

If you can zero the gun I wouldn't about the sights. As far as primer strike index the case in the chamber either by marking the back of the case with a marker or using the headstamp. Shoot it and check the primer in relation to how you had the case oriented in the chamber. Most primer strikes if not centered are usually a little high or low depending on how the barrel is fitted. No big deal as long as the gun goes bang.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Don't think I have big hands but that may be something to check out on the grip and trigger finger control.

GSonnen how do you go about checking the barrel crown and dove tail cuts? Is that a gunsmith job? Visually they look perpendicular to the sides of the slides. I may see if the local gunshop has a bore laser.

I have the gun zeroed now it is the sight notch is more to the right of center of the back of the slide.

Again I appreciate the idea's.

Tony

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

GSonnen how do you go about checking the barrel crown and dove tail cuts? Is that a gunsmith job? Visually they look perpendicular to the sides of the slides. I may see if the local gunshop has a bore laser.

Tony

Crown: pull the barrel out and stand it vertically on a level surface. If the crown is not cut square, the barrel will lean or fall to one side.

Dove tails: get some precision calipers. Measure the left and right leading edges of each dove tail against the muzzle edge of the slide. If they measure differently, you've got an irregular dove tail.

(I'm certain these are very rare problems with STI's, as they are known for very high quality machine work. You do see bad lathe cuts one some of the cheapy import 1911's)

So it's grouping nicely 3-3.5 inches to the left? Are you shooting reloads or factory ammo? BTW, if it will feed empty cases, assuming you have not resized them, it sounds like you have a fairly loose chamber.

Having a friend shoot it is a good idea too.

Let us know what you figure out...

Well so far I checked the dovetail's on the front and back sights and they are within about .002 to .003 of each other.

Rear sight is tight in the dovetail and measuring from the side of the sight to side of the slide it is about .005 left of center. I don't really think that would make that much difference on the sight blade being to the right as much as it looks.

Stood the barrel muzzle down on a precision granite stone and it looks pretty well straight up and down. I put some precision machinist blocks up against it for a 90 degree and there looks to be a good even crown. Unless somehow the barrel is drilled off center and it sure don't look like it at least at the muzzle end.

Trace - I was shooting mostly Freedom Munitions 124gr New RN and about 90 rds of Federal 115 gr RN (the red box from Walmart). Group wasn't that good with the 124 gr probably about 3 1/2 to 4 inches, with the 115 it was about 2" @ about 20 to 25 yards off a makeshift rest. About feeding empty cases, no they weren't resized. So how would a loose chamber affect the gun accuracy wise?

I've got a few other factory loads I'm going to try, mostly cheaper stuff. I'm taking the blame for lots of the group size being a new gun, first time shooting it, excitement, etc. Still looking for a laser bore sight to check that out. Thinking that may be my best chance to eliminate the gun, and leave me and my shooting ability to be the blame.

Again thanks for the help.

Edited by shotgunone

Well, a match grade barrel and chamber are much tighter than, say a production grade barrel and chamber. I've done drills at work where an issued Sig did feed brass we picked up off the ground. That would never happen with one of my Infinity barrels. A loose chamber on a 1911/2011 "could" effect the accuracy.

Guess I will learn to read the fine print. I thought the Eagle came with a match grade barrel but after checking the STI web site it sure don't say that. I have a Trojan in 9mm also but in reading the page on it I noticed it says "match grade bushing" not barrel. In all actuality the gun will probably shoot better than I can holding it. I just need to get it to shoot where I think I'm pointing it!

Thanks again.

Tony H.

Rear sights on STI's can only be fitted in one precise place as the elevation screw goes throught the sight and into a thread in the slide.

How do you feed empty cases into a 1911? I guess you must have barrel droped them otherwise they would have jambed against the ramp? I would be surprised if they would drop into the barrel much more than half way?

Phone Dawsons.

Edited by Chris1911

Chris while I haven't check this rear sight it appears the same as my Trojan and the elevation screw on it didn't go thru the sight into the slide. Rear sight is held on by dovetail friction somewhat and 2 allen head set screws. Elevation screw didn't hold the sight on.

As for feeding empty brass, I picked them up off the ground, wipe them off, load them in the magazine, and hand cycle them thru the gun. This 2011 cycles them just fine. I will admit that out of about 7 or 8 empties in a magazine I will usually get 1 or 2 that will catch on the chamber but most will just cycle thru.

yeah get a buddy or two to shoot it and see where they hit. I was at a range last year and a guy was hitting consistently low left. I shot his gun and was hitting dead center. worked with him on his trigger control and he started hitting center also.

If no one is around to shoot it for you that can SHOOT!!! LOL

try resting it on a stable bench and shooting it Left handed / weak hand. With the stable rest you should be able to shoot groups almost as small as your strong hand because of the rest

BUT usually it will group on the other side of the bullseye

If that is the case you need to work on your SH grip alignment and your WH placement and squeeze.

Lots of us use much different trigger lengths in a STI/SVI gun vs a SS 1911 so be willing to try different trigger lengths.

That's were the SVI trigger bow comes in with the replaceable inserts

Good fortune figuring it out