Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Specific 9mm Major w/holes info

Noximus03

I done tons of wading through the search funtion and havent found the answers/info I'm after. Mostly, the only info that comes back is for 38 SC, and that doesnt do me any good.

Heres the deal. I just got a CK Arms 2011 open gun delivered last week, and although I'm out of the country, I'm trying to compile as much info as I can reagrding how I will proceed with a load developement on this gun.

Here is what I'll have to work with

115 gr bullets (will begin testing MG's, Zero's, Horandy HAP, and a buddy of mine suggested Rainiers)

VV 3N37 (preferred), AC, and even 7625 (I've been told and read that it can be a good major powder and I have tons of it)

Fed SRP match, and SPP match

And all of that will run out of the following

5.4" KKM barrel with 3 holes

2 port Cheely comp

CK frame

STI slide with lightening cut outs

9# spring & SS FLGR

I've never shot a gun with holes in it, and this is my first 2011 open gun experience after toying around with a Glock 4.25" shorty for a couple of years. Any insight into this type of barrel with any of the above powders is greatly appreciated. I know that AC is very popular and I'll get a lot of "Use AC" answers, but I'm looking for the why's out of a gun with holes. I have experience with 3n37 as that was my choice powder when I ran the Glock. I have zero info with 7625 out of a gun with holes.

Thanks just the same, but I'm only looking for info with the above components out of a similar gun as I have described. Answers for HS-6, or Silohouette etc wont help me as I dont have that on hand, nor can I get any. Thanks again.

Not familiar with that comp maker but mine is tight and I use MG bullets. Softer jackets will often nick the comp anr keyhole. At the higher pressure needed to push a 115gr you mau find the same thing. If the through holes in the cop are bigger that will be less of an issue, but that also means less comping.

Basically, all of the powders you listed are potential candidates. Don't get too hung up on the barrel having holes. Obviously that is a factor, but either you are going to be able to make major safely in your gun with a given powder/bullet, or not. If not then you need to move on to a different powder or a different bullet/weight.

The real answer is you need to work loads up with a chrono and test each to see what works for you and what you like best.

Personally, for 9major I'd add 124 grain bullets to the mix. But, YMMV.

If you decide to sell the SR7625 let me know.

Welcome to open!

It isn't any easier, but is sure as heck is a lot of fun!

:cheers:

See, i got to 173pf safely in my old Carver Glock with 115's and 3n37. I did try 124's and found them to be more flippy, BUT this was out of a 4.25" Glock. I'm interested to see how it all works out once I get home. I'll be doing a ton of chrono work and taking note for future reference, but I'm biased towards 3n37. I've never really has a serious run with AC, but when I have shot it I felt it to be less effective for me.

I'm not going to sell the 7625.......but, I might be tempted to trade some.......

I am shooting the exact same gun. Love the KKM barrel with 3 holes. I can actually use less powder in this gun than I do with my other two 9major open gun with no holes!

My load is 7.1 grains of AutoComp loaded to 1.170 under a 124 Montana Gold bullet. This gets me 173 power factor. The first time i shot it I literally thought I had grabbed some on my minor loads by mistake.

I also use the same load with a 124 Frontier plated bullet for practice. I get 176 power factor out of it. I just dont get the accuracy I get with the MG bullets. I have a few thousand of them so just use them for practice.

I don't have any 115's to try, but am pretty happy where I am with the 124's.

See, I've been told that the barrels out of these guns are pretty quick! I've got a really good buddy (whom I trust) who swears by Rainers. Says he hasnt experienced an issue from his 38 SC gun up to 1600 fps, so those are going through the ringer as well. Its been toughest to have my wife send me pics of the gun and I cant touch it for at least another week.

See, I've been told that the barrels out of these guns are pretty quick! I've got a really good buddy (whom I trust) who swears by Rainers. Says he hasnt experienced an issue from his 38 SC gun up to 1600 fps, so those are going through the ringer as well. Its been toughest to have my wife send me pics of the gun and I cant touch it for at least another week.

Yes Sir, they are quick. I am averaging about 15-25 fps faster out of the KKM than any of my other guns. When I said above the Frontiers are not as accurate, they are only grouping 1-2 inches wider than MG's at 35 yards. Not really enough to matter except for the random small popper at 25-35 yards.

I have been VERY happy with this gun so far.

I have a similar 5.4" open build from FGW with 2 barrel holes. 8.7gr of 3n37 at 1.165 with a zero 115 jhpc or MG 115 jhp gave me a 173-175pf with fed sr match primers and ran just as flat as my normal hs6 load. It is a very full case, luckily that isn't a problem loading on a Hornady lnl.

I find that Matts comps like to run close to 175. I load 9.7 grains of hs6 (i have some f the slow batch)

mg 115s and tula sr primers. My gun has two barrel holes and a Cheely comp. My PF is 175.

• 2 weeks later...

I have gone back and refined my load a little. Now using 7.46 grains of AC to work the comp better and it is SWEET! The dot does not leave the glass.

124g Montana Gold OAL 1.165-1.170

7.46g AutoComp

String 1 1473 1466 1476 1444 1435 AVE 1464.75 PF 181.629 String 2 1449 1471 1449 1430 1443 AVE 1449.75 PF 179.769 String 3 1446 1494 1458 1458 1474 AVE 1464 PF 181.536

Nice numbers, bro. Thanks for the data! I'm running 115's, so I'm gonna have to run a bit hotter to get me where I need to be. I'm still in the break in phase for the gun, so I haven't really ran a true chrono test yet for my ac and 3n37 loads. I'll update the data next week.

See, i got to 173pf safely in my old Carver Glock with 115's and 3n37. I did try 124's and found them to be more flippy, BUT this was out of a 4.25" Glock. I'm interested to see how it all works out once I get home. I'll be doing a ton of chrono work and taking note for future reference, but I'm biased towards 3n37. I've never really has a serious run with AC, but when I have shot it I felt it to be less effective for me.

I'm not going to sell the 7625.......but, I might be tempted to trade some.......

I also have the same gun in-bound from Don, and like you I have a bunch of IMR7625, and like you I'm learning and plan to do some testing with what I can, powder being very limited and some unavailable.

I may have some VVn350 coming my way too. But I will let you know what I find out with the 7625 as well as anything else I can get a hold of and test.

Keep in touch...

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

Update- thought my testing, I've come to some clear conclusions with my differences/perceptions between AC and 3n37 out of my gun. I've run some preliminary chrono testing, but I'm not ready to post up a full run down of the data yet.

AC- running 8.4gr at 1.165. Got a 10 round PF of 179. Soft, but a little flippy/snappy for my liking.

37- I've worked up to 8.5gr at 1.165. 10 round PF of 181. It's definitely flatter, but you feel every single grain in your hand. No doubt about that.

I going to the range tomorrow to work up a full chrono and I'll update those results tomorrow.

Noximus03 ^^^^^^^^^^ 115's, right? ^^^^^^^^^

Is that a compressed load?

Hey Chris, yes. 115 Rainier JHP's. It's compressed, but not too bad. Brass and primers look really good, but the performance is great.

I know guys do it, but it scares me a little. I have never used compressed loads.

Thanks for the info.

I get that. I ran a G17 open gun before this, and I was seriously nervous getting compressed with that as the chamber is not as well supported. The brass looks so much better out of a 2011. I would say work your way up and give it a shot.

Surprising results with the 3n37. It took me 8.7gr to get a 175pf out of my full size gun with 2 holes. All loads 115 mg jhp at 1.165 with a fed sr primer. I do recommend trying aa#7. 10.6 under a 115 makes for a VERY flat shooting gun.