Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Leupold MK4 Scopes

GBTX01

Reticle_SPR_2x.gif

SPR_subtensions.gif

There's the new reticle...and here's the juicy new specs. Looks like there is an illuminated and non-illuminated version.

Product Highlights

The latest addition to the Precision Rifle line-up, the Mark 4 1.5-5x20mm PR offers magnification optimized for close-range engagements and is designed to be especially useful in police/tactical applications.

Product Specifications

Actual Magnification: 1.5(1.5x) 4.5(5x)

Length (in): 9.3

Eyepiece Length (in): 3.1

Objective Length (in): N/A

Objective Diameter (in): 1.0

Eyepiece Diameter (in): 1.6

Tube Diameter: 1.0in

Weight: 9.7 oz. / 275 grams

Eye Relief (in): 4.4(1.5x) 3.6(5x)

Eye Relief (mm): 113(1.5x) 93(5x)

Obj. Lens Diameter: .8in / 20mm

Max. Adjustment @ 100 yds (in): 120

FOV @ 100 yds (ft): 65.7(1.5x) 23.9(5x)

FOV @ 100 m (m): 21.9(1.5x) 7.9(5x)

I wish they came up with a 1x-4x with a true 1x. I have a Leup. VXIII 1.5x-5x and find it too slow on close stuff compared to a dot or a true 1x.

Do you think the presence of the ring in the reticle might help with that?

I wish they came up with a 1x-4x with a true 1x.  I have a Leup. VXIII 1.5x-5x and find it too slow on close stuff compared to a dot or a true 1x.

Do you think the presence of the ring in the reticle might help with that?

Maybe, but I think the magnification slows things down.

I'm sad to report I was totally underwhelmed with this scope at the SHOT SHOW. The reticle is not very distinct. It is not a 1 or 1.1X. Exposed turrets which will allow self-adjusting during a match. Now the Nightforce 1-4X, that was interesting but clearly none of these manufacturers talk to people that shoot a lot. The Nightforce had some dumb reticles as well.

The Horus Vision Talon was also disapointing to look at. The glass was not clear or sharp and had a yellowish tint. The center dot is 4 moa which is probably too big for 8-10 plates at 300 yds.

And why would they put their grid system on a scope reticle thats made for short to mid range distances? Why would someone need that much hold over at mid range distances?

It is also way over priced at around $1000.

If your shooting 8 to 10 in. plates at 300 yds. you would be below the dot into the grid the real problem is in the 150 to 250 yd. area on 6 in. plates. It can be done with a little practice but would be simple with a 2 min. dot. On close stuff it rocks. I've shot out to 700 yds. on IPSC sized targets with great results. I have also contacted Horus Vision with the suggestion of a smaller center dot. We'll see if they are interested in shooter input.

I was dissapointed with the scopes at the Shot Show too. The only scope that absolutely ROCKED was the new 5-25 Schmidt & Bender and it won't be available until June - check our website then for pricing :D Way nicer than any other scope I have seen to date. All I can say is "wow."

IOR Valdada has a true 1x variable, as did Nightforce. I didn't see the Horus 1x - but I was in their booth looking for a new LR scope.

Personally, I hate shelling out almost $1,000 for a 1x variable. That is too much for my blood! Maybe OK if you are a government agency with specific needs - but for 3-gun, ouch!

For now, the setup I'm using is an old variable with an extra scope ring holding a chunk of weaver rail mounted upside down holding a Docter red dot. Works pretty slick - if you need magnification there is usually time to get your head down into a good cheekweld - if the targets are so close to be able to use a dot, you lose the strong cheekweld but it doesn't really matter as there isn't much parallax issue at those ranges and you can just hose.

• 2 weeks later...

I was decided on getting the scope pictured above when available, but after reading what you guys saw at the SHOT Show, I am again lost in the dark. Any comments on the Mark 4 CQ/T for 3-gun or should I go with an ACOG? Thanks.

or should I go with an ACOG?

I think the ACOG with a set of handguard mounted iron sights (made by JP) for Tactical division, or a red dot secondary sight on the handguard for Open division is the hot shjt way to go for 3 gun. No adjustments needed, just twist the rifle and you get a different sight. No remembering that it is still on 1x while looking for the 300 yard plate etc. No brain fade, two fixed sights, pick one and shoot. JMO anyway.

--

Regards,

Or you can be like Mike Voigt and just shoot an ACOG. He does pretty well.

There is NO winning scope. I have seen major 3 gun matches won with a Leupold 3-9X, ACOG TA11, US Optics SN4, a Leupold 1.5-5X, an IOR 1.1-4X, a Trij 1.25-4X, a Holosight and even Bennie Hill's 1.5-5X Simmons.

Or you can be like Mike Voigt and just shoot an ACOG.

That truly is keeping it simple ;-)

Kelly speaks truth about the best setup being what works for a specific shooter and that all the different setups can win if they have the right rider aboard. Heck, I’ve only tried three, or four different things to get to what I am happy with at the moment. Now for a better rider :-)

--

Regards,

Has anyone tried the new Leupold 1.5-5x Mk4 scopes with the SPR reticle ? I had the opportunity to see the scope at the Shot Show but have not had the chance to "shoot" it. I am interested in some feedback regarding the reticle's use for 3 gun.

Moderator Edit: This post was a new topic created by WJL. I merged it with this older topic.

Edited by Erik Warren