Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fancy Restaurants with Crappy Food

EricW

I hate going to a shiny-new restaurant only to be served glorified dreck. Every time I go to one, I remember why I hate eating in them.

All hail the greasy-spoon and home cooking! (The last two places in America where a good meal can be had.)

We have a so-called "nice" restaurant here in Eugene that LOOKS like it should be a decent place, but having eaten there all of three times, I was GROSSLY disappointed on all three occasions!! I couldn't believe it. The only thing they DO serve that's good is their cheesecake. And I suspect they order out for it. :ph34r:<_<

Dear budding restauranteur, who stakes his claim next to the Hilton:

Thai Chicken Pizza...

- Uses fresh pizza dough

- Uses spicy Thai peanut sauce as the base

- Has fresh, thinly sliced chicken on top of that. The chicken is oriented radially from the center of the pizza. Please note that freeze dried chicken-like lumps are not part of the recipe.

- Has fresh slices of real Mozzarella cheese artfully arranged with the chicken. (Real mozzarella cheese is not hard and does not come pre-shredded in a bag. I don't care WHAT you think.)

- Has thinly sliced onions among the chicken and cheese.

- May also have green onions sliced lengthwise and some spicy herbs as garnish.

- DOES NOT HAVE SALAD GREENS SPRINKLED ANYWHERE ON TOP OF THE FINISHED PIZZA.

- Is finished by drizzingling Mae Ploy sweet hot chili sauce over the slices of baked pizza.

The result is crisp and delightfully delicious and bears no resemblence to the inedible piece of horsepucky you served me.

Dear budding restauranteur, who stakes his claim next to the Hilton:

Thai Chicken Pizza...

- Uses fresh pizza dough

- Uses spicy Thai peanut sauce as the base

- Has fresh, thinly sliced chicken on top of that. The chicken is oriented radially from the center of the pizza. Please note that freeze dried chicken-like lumps are not part of the recipe.

- Has fresh slices of real Mozzarella cheese artfully arranged with the chicken. (Real mozzarella cheese is not hard and does not come pre-shredded in a bag. I don't care WHAT you think.)

- Has thinly sliced onions among the chicken and cheese.

- May also have green onions sliced lengthwise and some spicy herbs as garnish.

- DOES NOT HAVE SALAD GREENS SPRINKLED ANYWHERE ON TOP OF THE FINISHED PIZZA.

- Is finished by drizzingling Mae Ploy sweet hot chili sauce over the slices of baked pizza.

The result is crisp and delightfully delicious and bears no resemblence to the inedible piece of horsepucky you served me.

Eric,

Here's your problem, man. You are not eating pizza, for starters. Pizza, should really only consist of the following:

1) crust

2) tomato sauce (olive oil, tomato, basil, salt, pepper)

3) mozzarella (preferably fresh from buffalo milk)

Luca, I know you're from up north, but back me up here, okay? Jake, you too.

Once you deviate from that, you're treading on shaky ground. At least with pepperoni (salami) you're still in the same country. Thai Chicken Pizza? Dude! You're no longer on the same continent! And you wonder why it sucked!!!

You want Thai food? Go to a Thai restaurant.

You want German food? Go to a German restaurant.

You want a pizza? Go to a pizzaria.

Hello!?!?!? Do we see a pattern forming here??? I hope so.

Dave,

I've made a lot of Thai Chicken pizza. My neighbors all used to love it.

Y'all are welcome to drop by sometime. :)

(And the choice in restaurants was motivated by what a friend from out of town would find easily, which was a HUGE mistake on my part. I hate Applebees, Chilis, <insert name of bland chain here>. $15 for a bad microwave dinner. Is that value or what?

Well, there's your other problem. You went out and ordered somthing that you make really well yourself. Stop doing that and you'll enjoy eating out much more. ;)

I have no doubt your cooking is good, Eric. Otherwise, you wouldn't complain about the food you order.

Eric, I am so glad you brought this up..... When was the $9 burger born??

I got sorta set up to go on a triple date with 2 other couples and the one girls friend a couple weeks ago (still follow me??) They decide we have to try the new "Red Robin" resturant. I am approx. 75 miles from home so I just agree and get ready for another run of the mill burger. Needless to say what I actually got was a $9 hunk of shit. But at least I had to wait 45 mins after ordering to get my $9 piece of shit. Last time I make that mistake.

Man, you hit the nail right on the head. I honestly don't mind paying for a good meal. If you ever are eating in a restaurant as say to yourself, man I could cook this shit better, you know how I feel most of the time. Sad but true, it's not that practical to cook if you're only cooking for urself. Ramen and hotdogs only taste good once a week. I hate doing dishes.

Dave,

you're correct.

The recipe you posted if for the original pizza "Margherita", as it was invented more than a century ago near Naples for the (then) reigning queen of Italy.

From then, anyway, pizza has become like sandwiches: everybody added to his own taste.

Yes, there are a few classic pizzas, that are quite likely to be encountered in each and every italian pizzeria, but variations are uncountable nowadays.

BTW, nice to read someone still remebers what the original pizza is made of... ;)

Eric, I am so glad you brought this up..... When was the $9 burger born??

I got sorta set up to go on a triple date with 2 other couples and the one girls friend a couple weeks ago (still follow me??) They decide we have to try the new "Red Robin" resturant. I am approx. 75 miles from home so I just agree and get ready for another run of the mill burger. Needless to say what I actually got was a $9 hunk of shit. But at least I had to wait 45 mins after ordering to get my $9 piece of shit. Last time I make that mistake.

So, since you remember the $9 hunk-a-crap, the date sucked too? :ph34r::ph34r:

All hail the greasy-spoon and home cooking! (The last two places in America where a good meal can be had.)

Eric,

I'm there with ya! I've got all the good local diners in our circulation area memorized.......

.....and one that's about half way to Buffalo, from the years where I traveled to camera shows.....

DB,

I guess you'd better leave that restaurant in a hurry... B)

AFAIK, spanish paella was born as the fishermen leftover dish ... but I'll gladly eat such leftover every day... :wub:

Here in Italy it is common to have ravioli stuffing made by leftover meat, but I really can't imagine how pizza can be made with leftovers... <_<

As an aside.... yea the date sucked, but not like driver is thinking....

I dont know what God installed in me that makes me a magnet for fat, sweaty, toothless, cross eyed chicks. I also dont know why I am still friends with people that set me up with annoying girls like this one. I thought I woulda learned by now that when all your friends will tell you about a girl is, "she's really nice..." maybe that should be my cue to turn down the offer.

sorry to highjack your thread Eric, please keep rollin with the hate.