Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying Used - What do you check?

There's a local-ish shop with a Bedell Custom 2011 that I'm considering driving out, looking at and picking up, but I don't know much about the platform - what do you look for to make sure you are getting a quality product? All I've seen is photos at this point.

What makes this particular gun 'custom' aside from the name etched into the slide and some cuts I assume are to save on weight?

http://s140.photobucket.com/user/beretta96/library/Bedell%20Custom%202011?sort=3&page=1

They're asking 2600, comes with a pair of 140mm mags.

If you have the serial number you may be able to contact Bedell and get the original build date and work done and parts used.

Some parts may have been replaced by the owner(s). If it is small parts, no problem but if major components were changed (barrel, fire control parts) then closer examination is needed by an experienced eye.

Check how tight or loosely the slide fits to the frame. Look for cracks in the slide, frame and grip. Feel if the barrel is bulged. Feel how smoothly the slide moves.

Make note of anything that does not look right and use that to negotiate a better price. The listed price does not seem too high but depends on the condition.

Good luck.

Custom guns can come with anything. See if they have a list of what was updated from a stock gun. Usually trigger, springs, mag release, sights etc. Look at the general cleanliness of the gun.Being dirty doesn't mean bad, but it may show how well the owner took care of his/her gun. Check that the safety works and the hammer drops fully. Think of it like a car. Does it run smoothly and are there any rattles or shimmying when running. See if they will let you shoot a mag. Never hurts to ask.

If you have the serial number you may be able to contact Bedell and get the original build date and work done and parts used.

Some parts may have been replaced by the owner(s). If it is small parts, no problem but if major components were changed (barrel, fire control parts) then closer examination is needed by an experienced eye.

Check how tight or loosely the slide fits to the frame. Look for cracks in the slide, frame and grip. Feel if the barrel is bulged. Feel how smoothly the slide moves.

Make note of anything that does not look right and use that to negotiate a better price. The listed price does not seem too high but depends on the condition.

Good luck.

I thought of the SN / Bedell contact, and shot them an email a couple weeks back but haven't heard anything from them. Might be worth looking into again or just calling them, who knows - spam filter could have eaten it.

Slide to frame fit, I'd assume should be rock solid side to side. Slide movement, I've had my hands on a friends edge and would assume this should feel similar/better.

Thanks for the pointers.

Good luck.

I thought of the SN / Bedell contact, and shot them an email a couple weeks back but haven't heard anything from them. Might be worth looking into again or just calling them, who knows - spam filter could have eaten it.

Slide to frame fit, I'd assume should be rock solid side to side. Slide movement, I've had my hands on a friends edge and would assume this should feel similar/better.

Thanks for the pointers.

Yeah, I would call them. It is a nice looking pistol. Good luck!

Edited by JMike

1. Put your thumb on the end of the barrel and try to wiggle it. If you hear clicking, pass or get a lower price.

2. With the pistol in battery, try to push down on the barrel hood. If it moves, pass or get a lower price.

3. With the pistol in battery, try to rock the slide side to side, try to wiggle it up and down. If you hear loud clicking and/or the slide seems to move excessively, pass or get a lower price. Try it again with the pistol out of battery.

4. With the slide out of battery, put a finger on the back of the barrel hood and wiggle it. A little play is ok, but if it rattles like it's loose, pass or get a lower price.

5. With the slide locked back, press the mag release and let the mag fall into you hand. If it falls freely, you're good. If it sticks or sounds like it's scraping on the way out, pass or get a lower price.

6. If it displays 2 or more problems with the above, put it down and walk away.

Edited by Dranoel

Bedell guns are amongst the best. Judging by the photos it looks used but not abused. I don't see any scuffs or scrapes. The finish looks to be in very good shape. The slide action should be much better than a Stock Edge. Pricing seems fair as long as it checks out in person. The mags if bone stock are $60/ea new if they are tuned and in good shape up to $150/ea.

I usually close my eyes and whip out the wallet. I've been pretty luck so far when buying used.

I've bought 2 STIs and 2 Baers used. All have been in great shape. People that buy these pistols are not your average owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Called Bedell - he asked for pics and a sn, so I mailed him again. Playing the waiting game.

As for people buying these pistols not being the average owners - I'm more concerned with it being shot out than I am it broken via poor user practices.

Edited by ThePeanutGallery