Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Junior shooter shooting open

ejevans45

So my 12 year old daughter is finishing her first year in USPSA. She has been shooting Limited minor all year with a S&W M&P pro 9. We tried several different guns to see what worked for her and due to her small hands we chose the M&P. That being said, next year she has said that she wants to switch to Open. :blink:

So here is the dilemma (other than funding the gun):

She is pretty small and isn't expected to grow much so the grip size is expected to remain close to the same. Should i make a 9 major gun out of a M&P or have her try and work with the larger framed STI? The STI she can manipulate but with difficulty and the one we tried was a 40 limited gun. i'm afraid the less than perfect grip on the open gun will cause her too much trouble.

So keep her with the Smith or go STI?

Hello: You can make a STI grip pretty small. If you can afford it I would get the STI. She will have a better trigger and can use it for a very long time. I would let her shoot one to see what she thinks. Weight is another thing to consider for a junior shooter also. A STI Tru Bor is a great starter gun and can be modified as she grows. Thanks, Eric

Here is a Video of Lynda Turnbull shooting at the Nationals this year. She is pretty close to making A class and she might be 5' tall and 90 Lbs. soaking wet . She is shooting a full size 9mm Major Limcat with a tungsten sleeved barrel in it and doing pretty darned good with it. Not trying to convince you one way or the other but it can be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy1oeKQV_aQ

Thanks for the info. I was looking at a trubor and kind of leaning that way. I've never been into open so it's a whole new world for me. BTW that Lynda can shoot!

I was also worried about the harsh recoil with a lighter M&P over the STI. I'm going to have to find one for her to try out.

Here is a Video of Lynda Turnbull shooting at the Nationals this year. She is pretty close to making A class and she might be 5' tall and 90 Lbs. soaking wet . She is shooting a full size 9mm Major Limcat with a tungsten sleeved barrel in it and doing pretty darned good with it. Not trying to convince you one way or the other but it can be done.

Yeah... She beat me at nationals, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello: You can make a STI grip pretty small. If you can afford it I would get the STI. She will have a better trigger and can use it for a very long time. I would let her shoot one to see what she thinks. Weight is another thing to consider for a junior shooter also. A STI Tru Bor is a great starter gun and can be modified as she grows. Thanks, Eric

This^^^^^^^

Yeah... She beat me at nationals, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She didn't beat me but another junior girl did...lol