Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inexpensive red dot- Vortex SPARC or ?

Bryan 45

I have a couple Aimpoints and Eotechs and they work great, but I'm needing a decent dot for another rifle and don't want to spend much money. Is the Vortex Sparc about as good as it gets under $300? (I've seen them as low as $150)

I have a Vortex Sparc on my 3 gun for limited and close up tactical matches. Their quick release mount is good. Recently tested the return to zero aspect. Zero'd at 50 and shot at 100 and 200. took scope off 3 times and the zero stayed. Like any other tube that has knobs, buttons, or other "stuff" on the left and right side, it does require you to not be sloppy with your cheek weld and to make sure you have a good index. After about a half hour of dry fire when I first got it...indexing, and transitioning, the "stuff" on the outside of the tube mostly vanished and the dot is there where you look. I think I have about $230 into it, scope and QD mount.

I'm actually using the Vortex Spitfire 1x Prism with great success for Limited irons/1x. I also own 3 Aimpoints (m2, m4, micro) And I would choose the $300 Prism over my $800+ CompM4 for 3gun anyday. But if your just intent on a Reddot, I never had a issue with my Sparc, I use it on a .22 pistol that is used for sportsman team challenge.

I'm actually using the Vortex Spitfire 1x Prism with great success for Limited irons/1x. I also own 3 Aimpoints (m2, m4, micro) And I would choose the $300 Prism over my $800+ CompM4 for 3gun anyday. But if your just intent on a Reddot, I never had a issue with my Sparc, I use it on a .22 pistol that is used for sportsman team challenge.

Are you happy with the illumination?

I have another sweet Samson RAM mount just waiting for an optic, the Primary Arms dot may be just the ticket.

Doc- good to hear the Spitfire is a nice optic. But I can't bring myself to shoot a match in Limited with anything other than iron sights.

Are you happy with the illumination?

For the Spitfire? yes at setting 5 its bright enough to see in the Colorado sun. Anything under 5 is useless.