Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 major with coated bullet

ss+P

I bought a 250 pack of 115gr blue bullets and run them through my open gun with no issues. They are very accurate and just a slight bounce of the cmore dot, alot better then the 124gr I have been shooting. They are a little faster than other 115gr I have tried but I am always happy to save money using less powder. I have been running autocomp with no signs of over pressure with cci small pistol primers. Hope this helps

Spritz a little Dillon Case Lube into the comp before you shoot a stage and let the alcohol evaporate. The lead buildup is almost nothing when this simple task is repeated for each stage. Coated lead boolits are a real alternative and have been used for all styles of competitive shooting in places like New Zealand and Australia.

They don't smoke. Accurate as any other bullet.

I find it hard to believe they don't smoke. I shot some BBI's in minor and they easily smoked 3 times as much as plated or jacketed bullets. And no, I wasn't running TG.

There is a vid out there from a 3 gun match of an open gun smoking like a freight train. Figured that was probably a coated bullet experiment.

Smoke doesn't hurt anything though! :cheers:

Edited to add: I just want to clarify, in case anyone misunderstood, that I know for a fact BBI are great bullets. A smoking bullet is not a bad thing. All guns smoke to some degree but some of us care more about it than others probably. I personally don't like shooting through a cloud of smoke no matter which brand of bullet I shoot.

Aside from the smoke, or lack thereof, I think what is more important is the fact that vendors such as BBI do so much to promote our sport and shooting in general. BBI sponsors a lot of shooters that I know personally and they all rave about the product AND the company. I would too if I could call him up and have bullets hand delivered to a match. That is service! :cheers:

I tend to say what I feel without thinking things through every great once in awhile :goof: and I don't want a new member to look at my posts and take them as gospel. Especially if it might hurt a dedicated sponsor of USPSA.

Edited by Sarge

Previously I've pinged BBI on using their bullets for major PF, their response:

We have a multitude of people using both the 115s and 125s in open with success. Autocomp powder works very and we have seen most success thru using it. 6.2 of Autocomp with the 125 loaded at 1.160 (corrected) seems the most common load for 9 major.

Edited by trgt

• 3 weeks later...

7.4gr WAC with a 135gr RN with HiTek coating.

That seems like a LOT of WAC with a heavy bullet? :surprise:

I'm using 6.8 - 7.0 gr WAC with a 124 gr MG JHP

and making major.

I could see 7.4 gr HS6, perhaps, but not WAC.

Do you have any velocities on 7.4 gr WAC/135 gr

bullet? :cheers:

Sarge was that with the new BBI HiTek coating, or the old molly coating? I have been using the blue bullets, no smoke. I have found bullets that I shot and the coating was still covering the bullets.

Yes, the latest coating.

Interesting you mentioned the blue bullets. I won some of those at the Tri State Championship and will be testing them for smoke soon.

Edited by Sarge

I thought the coating was imported by one guy in multiple colors and distributed. So if they are all using the same stuff,

I would think its powder / OAL / charge weight variation that may cause some smoke. Or perhaps some bullets after

coating are sized larger / smaller. "Smoking" is also a subjective thing to different people.

I thought the coating was imported by one guy in multiple colors and distributed. So if they are all using the same stuff,

I would think its powder / OAL / charge weight variation that may cause some smoke. Or perhaps some bullets after

coating are sized larger / smaller. "Smoking" is also a subjective thing to different people.

I believe the blue bullets use something different. But as far as I know the other major players are using the same stuff like you mentioned.