Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New S&W M&P Performance Center Open Guns

matt7184

I picked my 5" ProComp up about a month ago and just now recently got to the range to test it out. i was mainly interested in seeing how effective the porting was with typical "minor PF" ammo since that's the type of ammo the gun is seemingly intended for. For comparison sake, i also brought out my STI steel master which is another open class gun that is also designed to work with minor PF ammo so i figured these would be two likely competitors, at least functionally. I neglected to bring my regular M&P 9L to see how comp vs no-comp was but i'll do that next time.

My observations are that in comparison to the Steelmaster, the M&P 9 ProComp has noticeably more recoil, hands down, in all categories. The could be due to the additional mass of the STI (39oz vs 24 oz, almost 1 POUND difference) or because of its more simplistic compensator design. But whatever the actual factors, the net result is that the M&P does exhibit both more tenacious and overall amount of muzzle flip over the STI. Even though both of these guns are designed to make due with typical minor PF ammo, i reckon some hand loads with a slightly slower burn rate powder could optimize it further but without going major PF territory. Alternately, since these guns are often used in competitions without a min PF, going below the 125 PF floor with a light bullet and charge may be a way to further optimize it, though at that point, propellant gas is reduced even further thus making the comp even less effective but if recoil is reduced commensurately due to lighter charge, it may not be a factor.

So while the M&P is significantly cheaper, new for new, even when all the required parts are added to make it an open class gun for steel or other, i'm not sure its a very effective open class gun due to the limited recoil reduction the porting offers. Some is better than nothing, but in this game, we tend to spend the bucks for the best possible equipment to run at the fullest extent that the rules allow so i'm not sure its a good candidate for traditional open class disciplines. Perhaps some of the newer multi gun games with different rules sets may offer it a competitive place for its more compact overall form factor and cheaper entry price but that remains to be seen.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked my 5" ProComp up about a month ago and just now recently got to the range to test it out. i was mainly interested in seeing how effective the porting was with typical "minor PF" ammo since that's the type of ammo the gun is seemingly intended for. For comparison sake, i also brought out my STI steel master which is another open class gun that is also designed to work with minor PF ammo so i figured these would be two likely competitors, at least functionally. I neglected to bring my regular M&P 9L to see how comp vs no-comp was but i'll do that next time.

Thanks for posting this. I've been debating getting one of these or saving and buying a Steelmaster. Looks like I'll just have to keep saving and buy the Steelmaster.

JonF, thanks for the review. I was debating the performance center 9 but didn't think the ported barrels were worth going to open division competing against full blown STI 2011s. That's why I went with the pro 9 5in to run production and you just confirmed my thoughts.

Is anybody else un-impresed with the trigger? I feel the pull is heavy and the reset is inaudible and has only the slightest feel - making it almost impossible to detect. Is this just me or my gun - or are others feeling the same thing?

Part of Smith's party line is that some of their competitive shooters slap the trigger rather than ride the reset, therefore everyone should be slapping the trigger rather than riding the reset.

I'm not at all surprised that a comped STI with a frame-mounted red dot shoots better than a ported M&P with a slide-mounted dot. You've got almost every possible factor stacked against it: the slide's not lightened, the dot's moving with the slide rather than the frame, and the barrel doesn't have a big ol' comp attached to it to help eat up some of that recoil before the barrel's unlocked from the slide. All of these make a huge difference. The same is true when you go from an M&P Pro 40 to an STI or TS or any number of purpose-built Limited guns over a slightly beefed up Production gun.

That said, I'm interested in what a shot timer says between the two, and I imagine this is still an excellent choice for 3-gunners who have much higher reliability concerns as well as a desire for a striker trigger for abandonment purposes.

...I imagine this is still an excellent choice for 3-gunners who have much higher reliability concerns as well as a desire for a striker trigger for abandonment purposes.

This isn't intended to compete with STI's, its to compete with the low end side of the market. You can buy these for $675 new, you can't pick up double stack STI's for anywhere near that low. It's going to compete with Glocks/XDMs/off-brand 2011s like RIA Tacticals.

The cheapest solution is almost never the most effective, so why would you expect it to be?

Edited by KSwift

Kswift, The fact that it has a ported barrel makes it an open gun in 3 gun so you will have to compete against fully loaded STIs. Your bringing a mustang with a hood scoop to race Ferraris and Lamborghinis. I would totally buy this if I didn't compete, but I think many here feel the same way, get a pro 5" and you can compete in production, limited, and open.

Everything else aside I'd like to hear a side by side comparison between the ported gun either 4 or 5 inch and a "non ported" M&P

I will be able to do that review shortly my ported core in at the dallas fort worth airport on ot way to me. Just in time for Christmas.

Is it flying first class? Nothing but the best for S&W folks, right :)

So I think the triggers are hit and miss. Felt one that was decent and one that was lacking. I recently sent my gun to salient arms to get their flat face trigger. I have to say that I am really UNIMPRESSED. Most will feed crap about making a bad decision and call sub par really good. The only difference beside the trigger being flat was the weight decreased about a lb. all that for 300 bucks. I called to get clarification if something was out of sync or maybe it wasn't done right and I have yet to receive a response after two weeks from either my email or phone call. I have felt the Apex before and it feels better than the salient for a cheaper price and you can install it yourself. Honestly I don't see an improvement over the stock pro trigger that can justify 150 plus. Jut my opinion though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

I have been shooting M&Ps for about 5 years now. My main pistol is the 5" Pro with Apex parts. I was able to pick up a 5" Ported model and have a couple of questions.

I do not feel much recoil reduction with my 129 PF loads, sounds like I need to bump the charge up?

Also I am not impressed with the stock accuracy, even in a Ramson Rest. So here is the big question. I know you can get a conversion barrel to make a 40 into a 9, can you get a conversion barrel to make a 9 into a 40? Maybe have the slide reamed out to 40 spec and then buy the 9 conversion barrel?>

Sounds like KKM barrels are the way to go, anyone have one quad ported and if so did it make a difference?

Mike

I was talking to a gunsmith who also is a GM at a match last weekend about this pistol. He said he took one to the range with an extra unported barrel and ran some drills. He said he could not see any difference in time. Granted, he has monster grip strength. I asked him about quad porting, he didn't try that, but it didn't seem he was excited about that either. I have a 9 pro that was horrible accuracy wise. I put a stormlake barrel and it helped a lot. I also switched from 147 to 124 and that helped too. Mine prefers lighter bullets. Ironically, I do not! I think each M&P has its own personality, mine happens to be a catty b@tch! I don't think it is worth putting all the extra money switching from 9 to .40. Just my opinion. I would try some 100 grain frangible bullets in it. I love the way they shoot in comped minor guns.

Edited by bmiller

• 2 weeks later...