Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ACE ARF-X Buttstock Install Problem

jlane21034

I am attempting to replace my adjustable Buttstock to a fixed. I purchased an Ace ARF-X skeleton stock from a distributor that also included an A2 buffer tube, rifle buffer, and spring. After removing the old buffer tube and installing the new A2 tube I can't get the Ace stock to slide over the tube. It will slide on approx 2" then it gets so tight it takes two men to get it apart. From the YouTube videos I have seen it looks like the stock should slide over the tube no problem. The only complaints I have seen is difficulty getting on the foam tube. I assume it is most likely an issue with the A2 tube. No idea on brand I can't find markings anywhere on it. I assume that the Mil-Spec vs Commercial issue is only with the M4 type tubes but let me know if I am wrong. I appreciate any advice you guys can give me.

Tried the tube in the freezer. It helped get the stock about 3.5" on the tube before it locked up so tight I had to drive it off with a block of wood and hammer. Now I am concerned if I get the thing on I will never get it off. Any idea what the OD of the tube is supposed to be?

Unless you find a bump on yours I'd check the tube diameter, I read somewhere there are two different tube diameters in use with different stocks. If you know someone who has an Ace stock you might have them measure the diameter of their tube and compare that with yours. There is usually enough slack in the foam on the Ace that you can measure the tube diameter at one end of the foam or the other.

Could be that there is a little extra coating of some sort inside the stock "holes" or a little too thick a coating on the extension tube. I would imagine that a little rubbing with some fine emery paper inside the "holes" would allow sufficient clearance. Maybe just where there are so many new players making "milspec" parts with all the demand lately.