Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm AR

Gary Stevens

What 9mm AR do you have?

As long as you have a ramped 9mm bolt and your current gun has a rounded hammer (not a notched 9mm hammer) you can run a JP trigger or as I do, a POF drop in trigger. Or most any AR15 match trigger.

Mick

• 2 months later...

What 9mm AR do you have?

As long as you have a ramped 9mm bolt and your current gun has a rounded hammer (not a notched 9mm hammer) you can run a JP trigger or as I do, a POF drop in trigger. Or most any AR15 match trigger.

Mick

I need to play around more with my YHM upper, but jp trigger + jp hammer + SCS didnt seem to be a great combination for the lower.

Need to try it with a regular buffer and spring to rule out the SCS, but in its current setup, it will start to hammer follow with anything over 135 pf.

As stated above, if you have a ramped bolt pretty much any aftermarket trigger will work.

That being said....some of the aftermarket triggers use shorter style hammers. This can/will cause reset problems. So if you can, take a standard factory hammer and compar it to the hammer of the aftermarket trigger you want to use. If it is the same height, you should be GTG.

I am currently using a ELF 3gun trigger in my 9mm AR. Works great. I ran a Timney 3 lb. trigger in one of my older 9mm AR's with no problem.

Is that the 9mm SCS or the standard one?

The 9mm one.

I single loaded 20 rounds of each of the 128 pf ammo as well as the 140 pf ammo (measured in my handguns). Not a single one of the 128 pf rounds had a hammer follow and all of the 140 pf ones did.

Im guessing its just borderline working with the lower pf ammo and the extra recoil force with the hotter ammo is enough to push it over the line. 12 pf isnt really enough of a safety margin...

Guess I'll have to try something other than a JP trigger to get this thing running safely.

I really want to pick up a SIG MPX. Apparently they are compatible with standard AR triggers and the controls otherwise mirror AR. http://www.sigevolution.com/sigmpx

But it's a SIG ;)

And it's about 2x the price of this: http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-scorpion-evo-3-s1-pistol/

Yes, but you can't swap out parts on the CZ with AR15 components.

But with the Sig...you pay $1,500+, rumored $70 magazines...is it really worth it? Yes, CZ will take a bit to build an aftermarket, but at that price point ($850) with mags under $30, it will develop. And for some, it will be the factor that it is "different."

I am currently saving up for an SBR upper in 9mm. Anyone know if you can run a Geissele trigger with a ramped bolt?

I have heard that the Geissele 3gun triggers hammer is to short to get reliable reset with the ramped bolt. Other Geissele triggers are said to work with the ramped bolt.

But their 3-gun triggers are the only single-stage ones, right?

I bought a Timney to try out. Hopefully that will work better than the JP one.

But with the Sig...you pay $1,500+, rumored $70 magazines...is it really worth it? Yes, CZ will take a bit to build an aftermarket, but at that price point ($850) with mags under $30, it will develop. And for some, it will be the factor that it is "different."

I am currently saving up for an SBR upper in 9mm. Anyone know if you can run a Geissele trigger with a ramped bolt?

The CZs are already being used in competitions around Europe, and I think quite successfully, so hopefully after market stuff will grow.

I have heard that the Geissele 3gun triggers hammer is to short to get reliable reset with the ramped bolt. Other Geissele triggers are said to work with the ramped bolt.

But their 3-gun triggers are the only single-stage ones, right?

I bought a Timney to try out. Hopefully that will work better than the JP one.

I ran a Timney 3 lb trigger in one of my past 9mm AR's with zero problem. Plus you can run the Timney in a non-ramped bolt due to it's rounded hammer.

Edited by BigBamBoo

The CZs are already being used in competitions around Europe, and I think quite successfully, so hopefully after market stuff will grow.

It seems that either the US aftermarket follows the trend of European markets, or completely does its own thing. I hope we follow them, and embrace the CZ warmly. I actually like the look of the factory stock (obviously have not played with one yet). I also wonder based off the importation and aftermarket, how 922r compliance will be achieved.

I tried 2 geiselee ssa 2 stage. Both had reset problems about 1-2 times every 50 rounds. Tried a geiselee select fire trigger, no problems. I'm using a timney single stage 3.5 lbs, seems to work fine but a little light for all the bolt bounce the blow back 9mm makes. I'd gladly pay $1500 for the sig mpx if it actual works. It is a locked breach action. Felt recoil would be half that of a Blow back 9mm. 9mm blow backs created a lot of felt recoil compared to .223 with a good muzzle brake. I'd say felt recoil is close to a 6.8 or 7.62x39. Not terrible but you won't be able to keep pace with A class or better shooter in 3 gun. I use my 9mm ar 15 for cheap practice and steel plates that are meant for pistol only.