Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extreme bullet new products!

glenr

And with new product had anyone else noticed increased pricing across the board?

Yep. Just when Xtreme had nudged into the 'cheap enough to buy instead of coated bullets' category for me, they dropped the free shipping, then flat rate shipping, and increased prices.

Back into the 'only when on significant sale' bucket they go, for me, at least for 9mm, the bulk of my bullet purchases.

I may still pick up some of their 55gr FMJBT when on sale (assuming shipping doesn't become $$), as they're decently priced comparable to bulk orders when on sale and/or free shipping, but in lower quantities.

124gr RN is now at 8.x c/each with current shipping, vs 6.x-7c/each for various Hi-Tek coated options.

As an aside, unlike for example, MG 124gr JHPs (my most accurate loads to date), I've yet to get their 124gr HPs to perform (accuracy-wise) even on parity with their 124gr RN.

With jacketed bullets, it's likely the flat/jacketed bottom of the bullet accounting for better accuracy with JHPs, but I'm just not seeing any benefit so far with plated HPs vs plated RNs - anyone seeing the same, or the opposite? Right now, price changes ignored (as they're already on the fringe of becoming don't buy w/out 15% sale :) ), I'd put the HPs on the 'don't bother'/not worth the premium over Xtreme RNs list..

From what I hear JHPs are more accurate than FMJs and CMJs, but does a plated HP offer anything over a plated RN (besides an OAL challenged ogive)?

I don't think so, but - anyone seen any different?

Anyone had a problem with then tumbling? Used plated in past and had issues. WA thinking of trying 147 gr for 3 gun load. Did try their slugs last weekend. They worked fine.

No issues tumbling here, in loading their 124gr RN, 135gr RN, and 147gr RN to date (in CZ and PPQ, Glock). Just can't get their 124gr HPs to beat their 124gr RNs..

And with new product had anyone else noticed increased pricing across the board?

Yep. Just when Xtreme had nudged into the 'cheap enough to buy instead of coated bullets' category for me, they dropped the free shipping, then flat rate shipping, and increased prices.

Back into the 'only when on significant sale' bucket they go, for me, at least for 9mm, the bulk of my bullet purchases.

I may still pick up some of their 55gr FMJBT when on sale (assuming shipping doesn't become $$), as they're decently priced comparable to bulk orders when on sale and/or free shipping, but in lower quantities.

124gr RN is now at 8.x c/each with current shipping, vs 6.x-7c/each for various Hi-Tek coated options.

As an aside, unlike for example, MG 124gr JHPs (my most accurate loads to date), I've yet to get their 124gr HPs to perform (accuracy-wise) even on parity with their 124gr RN.

With jacketed bullets, it's likely the flat/jacketed bottom of the bullet accounting for better accuracy with JHPs, but I'm just not seeing any benefit so far with plated HPs vs plated RNs - anyone seeing the same, or the opposite? Right now, price changes ignored (as they're already on the fringe of becoming don't buy w/out 15% sale :) ), I'd put the HPs on the 'don't bother'/not worth the premium over Xtreme RNs list..

Thats business for ya- the minute something starts to sell good- they up the prices to be closer to the competition.

I've shot 25,000 124 RN last season & am currently through 14,000 147 RN this year from Extreme with no issue. I've also shot about 1,000 of their 124 HPs. didn't note any increased accuracy with them to justify the price difference so I've stayed with the RN ...

Edited by Nimitz

Thats business for ya- the minute something starts to sell good- they up the prices to be closer to the competition.

True enough, and it's their prerogative. I suppose the question is who exactly is their most direct competition?

Xtremes are priced better than Berry's or Raniers, but I've seen no reason to shoot either of those for the small price difference vs Montana Golds, or the larger price difference/savings using Hi Tek coated. I just don't see Berrys/Raniers as being price-competitive at all nowadays. MGs are much more accurate for me, and not much more.

I think the latest round of price increases (e.g. MG) and the expansion of Hi-Tek coated availability is already likely to change what a number of us are buying over time.

Using 124gr as an example, it's roughly 10c+ Rainier(1k + ship), 9.8c MG(JHP, case, incl ship), 9.4c Berrys(+ship?), 8.25-9.5 c/ea Xtreme (1k lots w/shipping, RN or HP), ~7c each case lots of Hi-Tek.

If they're intending to only compete with MG, PD, Rainier, and Berry's, they're more or less OK (except their 124gr HP prices, IMO..at 9.3c each + ship, I'd stick with MG or PD..). Even there, I'd be looking at an ideal of 8c/eac for 124gr RN, and 8.5c/ea for HP..shipped.

Oh well, we'll see what happens. Due to their former pricing and sales, a lot more people, myself included, have tried them (and probably have ~6k of various 9mm, and 4k of 55gr FMJBT on hand still). Maybe they're at full capacity with the new prices, or maybe we'll see them drop back down again...Xtreme certainly has changed pricing more than anyone else out there in a 12 month timeframe. :)