Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder searching

LegionShooter

Not so much the search, but the fact that every single time I find powder available that I need/want, it is literally sold out in less than a minute. In fact GunBot has brought up powders as "Sold Out" before it even shows available. So, are the inventory systems of various retailers lagging behind enough to cause this, or are there just that many powder hawks out there that just buy up everything they can get their hands on? And are those individual hoarders, or are they trying to mark up the price and resell? I don't know, but it is really, really annoying...really...

We should be able to get something done about this... We have guns! :D

But seriously, it would be good to have someone knowledgeable explain what's going on. I saw the Chris Hodgdon video a couple of months ago, and I appreciate him going on camera and answering questions, but I really didn't get the answers I wanted. I'm a firm believer in capitalism and it's hard for me to understand how this can be going on for so long.

My SWAG is that there has been a lot more demand the last few years and the major powder producing companies are reluctant to invest a considerable amount of capitol when the market may revert to (or close to) 2007 levels. Same problem with the .22 rimfire shortage.

Remember how for awhile all the reloading equipment producing companies were way behind in being able to fill orders. That didn't come from all of us who had been reloading for years suddenly buying new presses, it mostly came from new reloaders. Then they had to acquire bullets, primers and powder which they had none of. This really added to the demand along with all of us trying to maintain - or increase - what we normally had in stock.

But seriously, it would be good to have someone knowledgeable explain what's going on. I saw the Chris Hodgdon video a couple of months ago, and I appreciate him going on camera and answering questions, but I really didn't get the answers I wanted. I'm a firm believer in capitalism and it's hard for me to understand how this can be going on for so long.

Supply and demand. Create the demand, bottleneck the supply, and skyrocket the price. It's like some JP Morgan game.

Edited by A-shot

Supply and demand. Create the demand, bottleneck the supply, and skyrocket the price. It's like some JP Morgan game.

Supply and demand. That had to have been invented by a woman. Create the demand then bottleneck the supply. :devil:

If I want powder I look on the shelf.

When my friend needed powder, I found her an 8# jug at a small shop.

edit to add the list

Alliant Reloader 19 Alliant Reloader 17 Alliant Reloader 50 Alliant Green Dot (8 lbs.) Hodgdon BL-C(2) Hodgdon Varget IMR Trail Boss IMR 4064 (1 lb or 8 lbs) IMR 8202 (8 lb) Ramshot TAC Winchester 748 Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

It does seem, from what is reported by the members here, that some areas either are getting more powder or they have fewer reloaders in the area. Here, in Northern Texas, I haven't seen reports of any on the shelves such as have been reported in a few areas.

It does seem, from what is reported by the members here, that some areas either are getting more powder or they have fewer reloaders in the area. Here, in Northern Texas, I haven't seen reports of any on the shelves such as have been reported in a few areas.

I agree. Here in northeast Illinois only rifle powders in small quantities are to be found. 3 hours north plenty of pistol powder.

Two observations-There were two fabulous online suppliers that accepted backorders as recently as 30 days ago. the primary purpose was to put you at the top of the list, before the items were posted on the web. Today they no longer back orders-maybe it cost them to call people or it incurred greater expense for an easily sold product. However it did make it a little harder to get what you wanted. On the other hand I have seen more powder on the shelves locally than in the past year or more.

I heard from a bullet manufacturer that there are 26 Sea Cans full of Hogdon/IMR setting on the dock in Australia but only 2 cans are allowed per ship??? This would be a problem, Also spoke with Western powders and their product was coming largely from Belgium. We need to grow more Tree Cotton here at home the import laws or slow import process are screwing up the rotation.

• 1 month later...

I have to say that I believe part of the problem is us. There are many of us hoarding powder. I can only be so critical as the only reason I'm still shooting is because I bought large amounts of Clays, Universal and Bullseye when I could get it after the first shortage .

• 3 weeks later...