Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050 please help

Hi guys, been having nothing but trouble with my 1050 since I got it. I'm about to throw it off a cliff

Long story short: I'm still not able to cycle the machine without it throwing powder everywhere. I bought a bearing system that just created more problems, when I uninstalled it, it ran strangely for like 20 rounds then jammed somehow.....

The toolhead wouldn't go down more than halfway without feeling like it hit a rock, I didn't force it because it was a very affirmative stop that it came to.

At any rate, I took the tool head off along with the Shellplate and sprayed, vacuumed, and cleaned everything. Put it all back together and not it won't go up more than 3/4 of the way. It won't go all the way down either. It did crush a .223 case right at the shoulder though, it's literally stuck between 1/2 and 3/4 of its stroke.

I'm at my wits end with this thing. I'd call dillon but they only happen to be open at the exact times I'm at work, and they are closed when I happen to get off work.

Any help?

Remove the primer tube and primer slide bar, you may have a primer cockeyed in the slide bar...or back off the Allen bolt on the primer lever located on the primer tube....slide the assembly up and check to make sure the primer slide bar isn't stuck...you can also remove the the plastic locator tab on station 3 to get a better view of the to the primer slide bar...before you reinstall anything, make sure that the primer slide bar moves back and forth completely and smooth as glass.

A stuck primer, stuck slide bar or dirty priming system will prevent the machine from cycling completely/ smoothly. Good Luck, don't pull your hair out...

The" rock" you hit on 1/2 way thru the handle pull is probably the indexing rod on the head hitting an out of sync shell plate...

Eta; Sounds like you are running 223, are you loading 223 or processing brass?

Edited by RiggerJJ

I will say this, almost all "Stoppages" of the 1050 can be narrowed down to one of these three things...

1. there is something in the station one that is not allowing the de-priming pin to punch out the spent primer (this is the least of them).

2. the primer was not fully ejected from the brass before it got to station 2 for swaging. Damn crimped brass. make sure you have the correct de-capping pins from Dillon (yes there were some that were short).

3. Something caused the primer to get smooshed in the primer slide, be that a not fully swaged primer pocket or what have you. This is the single most likely cause for the press to not move, or the "Hit a Rock".

Other then that it should would.

> there is something in the station one that is not allowing the de-priming pin to punch out the spent primer (this is the least of them).

You mean station 2?

Next, when you install the toolhead, be sure if is all the way down (aligned) before tightening the bolt

If the problem is simply that the movement of the shell plate is throwing powder out of the case, then tighten the shell plate more, move the handle slower and smoother, place a finger over the charged case as it moves to the next station, install a poly ball in place of the steel shell plate alignment ball, or, if a Super, install a thrust bearing.

Tustin always sounds like a disease or cough syrup to me.

Ok, ive moderately fixed the situation. The jam was primer related, i had to raise the lever while jiggling the primer shuttle arm and it went into the up position. From there i was able to dissasemble (and learn alot about the priming assembly in the process) an reassemble everything again. That fixed the jamming problem, the shellplate stil flings powder everywhere, ive tightened it down to the point the shellplate locks, then backed off 1/8 of a turn. No avail.

I will just have to reconcile myself with the fact that i need to operate the 1050 much smoother, and therefore slower, than a 650. If i go super slow there is a very minimal amount of powder spillage, but now im thinking i just chuck this thing off a cliff, buy another 650 toolhead, and load on the 650. If it wasnt for the swaging operation i would have thrown this thing in the garbage disposal already.

Or maybe there is a clever way to only prep my brass on the 1050 and load on the 650, that would fix the problem i guess since there would be no powder charge to spill. Only bummer is id have to prelube the cases and make a mess of my case feeder

Edited by darkmod

If you let the shell plate snap to the next station, you get powder spillage. If you are smooth with it(which takes time) that last 1" or so of throw is where the shell plate advances.

After 10k rounds your main spring will be worn enough that it wont advance at all on its own anyway so just start loading!

When I have new guys come use my 1050 they tend to sling powder around because they arent being smooth and trying to run it to fast. I get on it and everything runs smooth.

now im thinking i just chuck this thing off a cliff, buy another 650 toolhead, and load on the 650

Tell you what, chunk it in a box and PM me your address and I'll swap you an entire 650 already set up for .223, I'll even cover shipping.

Damn, you beat me to the punch on that one but I'll add my 2 cents worth..... If you are going to chuck it, then chuck it my way (San Diego) or bring it down and we can work on it together. (My wife would literally kill me if I bought a third 1050........) LOL!!

Ok, ive moderately fixed the situation. The jam was primer related, i had to raise the lever while jiggling the primer shuttle arm and it went into the up position. From there i was able to dissasemble (and learn alot about the priming assembly in the process) an reassemble everything again. That fixed the jamming problem, the shellplate stil flings powder everywhere, ive tightened it down to the point the shellplate locks, then backed off 1/8 of a turn. No avail.

I will just have to reconcile myself with the fact that i need to operate the 1050 much smoother, and therefore slower, than a 650. If i go super slow there is a very minimal amount of powder spillage, but now im thinking i just chuck this thing off a cliff, buy another 650 toolhead, and load on the 650. If it wasnt for the swaging operation i would have thrown this thing in the garbage disposal already.

Or maybe there is a clever way to only prep my brass on the 1050 and load on the 650, that would fix the problem i guess since there would be no powder charge to spill. Only bummer is id have to prelube the cases and make a mess of my case feeder

Clean the case feeder after each use. What lube you using, i'm running dillons and the lanolin / 90 something% alcohol mix. Both dry prior to dropping in case feeder.

I'm processing 223 & 9 on the 1050, after tumbling lube off load on the 650's.

Edited by cjim