Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weighing for double-charges

ES13Raven

I caught myself loading a double charge of powder before I seated the bullet on my 550b. My initial handle pull didn't go down all the way, and I accidentally did a full stroke again. Thankfully I caught the mistake.

This freaked me out and I wanted to make sure I didn't double-charge any of my last 100 or so rounds I had just made. I thought I could just weigh the loaded rounds and look for 3.0 grains of additional weight (loading with 3.0 grains).

I weighed a few of my 9mm 147gr rounds, and found that they had a wide range of weights. I was sure this was because I was using mixed brass.

The average weight seemed to be about 212 grains, but I had some that were 6-7 grains higher.

I then weighed a few of each headstamp brass to see what the differences were. Most were in the 61-62 grain range, but I had some brands that were down to 57 and other brands that were up to 65.

I found that my heavier rounds were from the same head-stamp, and the numbers added up. The lightweight rounds were from the same headstamp too.

But in the end, I found that its not so easy to weigh for squibs or double-charges when using mixed brass.

The more you know...

The amount of powder in a pistol round is relatively small, so unless all your brass is very close the same weight, you probably won't be able to find any over or undercharges.

You can get closer if you sort all your brass by headstamp and weigh it that way, but I'm not even sure how close you will get that way.

Don't forget that the bullet heads also can fluctuate in weight as well. I have some bayous that were as far as 5 gr less than stated weight and also as high as 3 gr more than the stated weight

I've used 230 gr. RN Bayou Bullets for several years. When I get a new case I weigh 4 or 5. They've never weighed less than 230 gr, and the average was + 1 gr.

When there is a case in station two. While pulling the press handle grab a bullet with your left hand. The press handle doesn't get moved again until said bullet has found a home. Even if I have a problem, like a primer doesn't feel right. I still hold onto the bullet or place it in the case before I investigate the problem at hand. I figure with my method there is no way I can double charge a case. Short of a failure in the power drop system there really is no way I can load a squib either. I do not grab the bullet until the press handle is being operated.

When there is a case in station two. While pulling the press handle grab a bullet with your left hand. The press handle doesn't get moved again until said bullet has found a home.

Do you put the bullet in the case while it's still at station 2 or do you just hold it in your hand until you index the press? I normally place the bullet once I index and the case is sitting in station 3. I can see where putting the bullet in at station 2 before indexing could be a good idea. I'm loading some ammo this morning so I'll give that technique a try.

Don't forget that the bullet heads also can fluctuate in weight as well. I have some bayous that were as far as 5 gr less than stated weight and also as high as 3 gr more than the stated weight

I've used 230 gr. RN Bayou Bullets for several years. When I get a new case I weigh 4 or 5. They've never weighed less than 230 gr, and the average was + 1 gr.

That can be important at Chrono if you get down to the last bullet.....

If you know what your heads weigh consistently, and they have a different (lower) weight, maybe you want to have them pull the last bullet....

If you determine that the weight is spot on, maybe you want to have it shot over the chrono....

All of us have made mistakes that's why they make bullet pullers. On a 550 you need good lighting and stand or sit so you can see in the case just

before placing the bullet. Sometimes it not a double charge but a slight amount of mud, a bug or any other type of foreign material that worked

it's way in to a case. Not a fan of race reloading quality is better than quantity.

I hope you were able to narrow down which rounds were suspect. Pull the bullets you'll sleep better for it.

At 9gr of powder in a 9mm case, I don't need to worry about a double charge, it would be all over the press :)

True, but you get less than 780 rounds out of a pound, he gets over 2300 out of a pound (depending on how many are double charged).

Yea but his bullets go a lot faster!

When there is a case in station two. While pulling the press handle grab a bullet with your left hand. The press handle doesn't get moved again until said bullet has found a home.

Do you put the bullet in the case while it's still at station 2 or do you just hold it in your hand until you index the press? I normally place the bullet once I index and the case is sitting in station 3. I can see where putting the bullet in at station 2 before indexing could be a good idea. I'm loading some ammo this morning so I'll give that technique a try.

I place the bullet on the case while it is still in station #2. When I first started reloading I used a lot of Power Pistol. If I waited until station #3 I would get the occasional powder spillage from the case when indexing the press. My method kind of evolved from that. I'm not saying my way is the best, but it has worked for the last few years. I have never had an ammo related malfunction. (knocking on wood as I type one-handed.) Also I visually verify powder in the case before I set the bullet. Most of my loads are between 3.5 and 5gr. A quick look is always a good idea.

To finish how my method works. After setting the bullet while in station #2. My left hand indexes the shell plate, while my right hand is grabbing a new case and putting it in station #1. The timing works out that when that is complete. I am grabbing another bullet and operating the press handle. At no time during reloading is one hand waiting for the other to do something. I'm not super speeding when reloading but I like to think I am efficient.