Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

fastest accurate 9mm load data.

thompsoncustom

I been working with my 9mm carbine lately trying to see how fast I could push a 125ish grain bullet. The answer out of my 16in hi point is 1700fps than the action is open and I can't gain anymore speed.

Fast forward I wanted to see how this would do at 300 yards. Problem is its all over the place at 30 yards. Dropped the charge and tested 7gr to 8gr and can keep it with in a 4 inch group with two of the loads but wouldnt be able to hit a barn door at a 100 yards. Also should note I'm using powder coated lead bullets but have some plated/jacketed I will be testing.

So what do you guys use for accurate loads? The more speed the better but accuracy comes first.

Edited by thompsoncustom

Not sure what powdercoated bullets are, but I am going to guess you are pushing them too fast and leading is occuring. Try some jacketed bullets and see what happens. I have a Oly 9mm uppper (16") and at 40 yrds the bullet holes are touching when I use any of my common USPSA loads. 115gr, 124, 125 and 147 all shoot very well. I think you will destroy your gun if you keep trying this with out changing some springs at least.

Jon

I was surprised to see that the Highpoint has a 1/10 twist barrel. Im guessing that you are powder coating you own bullets? If you are standing them one the base to cure then that could cause a imperfection in the base leading to inaccuracy. Try putting them on the nose.

A 147gr bullet should be a better choice for the gun and 300 yds. This will be much easier one the action for full power loads. Try using clip on wheel weights that you drop straight from the mold to water. 1700fps is fine for hard cast bullets with good lube. Inspect the base of your bullets for any imperfections. Run you lead just shy of the temp where the bullets become frosty. This will give you better fill out.

The 1/10 twist will magnify any imperfections in your cast bullet. Especially the base.

Thanks for the tips on the base. There a round nose bullet so I can't stand them on the nose but cooking them base down seems to give a flatter surface than the nose. Water dropping doesn't work as the cooking of the powder coat removes the hardening. But I could try heat treat them in the oven after coating and water dropping them.

Alloy has to be pretty soft as is.

Edited by thompsoncustom

I focus on accuracy over fps. Tried some berrys 125 plated rn. 4.1gr TG, cci primers, mixed brass..10.5" oly upper..off a bench all rounds were on or touching a 3" target @ 25yds . This was a baseline test to see where I was hitting, before running suppressed. Hitting steel out to 200, isn't a problem, with the carbine.

If the speed thing is your game, great. I found better results using mid point data, for the 4 9mm pistols, and carbine. Plus it stretches out the powderI have.

Well my goal is to keep it on a normal sized piece of paper at 333 yards. If its super fast or a slow and heavy it doesn't matter to me but I'm guessing at that distance with a 9mm I'm gonna need some speed.

Heating treating the coated bullets as I type this. Gonna load up some 135gr flat point jacketed bullet, some 124gr plated, and some heat treated ones.

Edited by thompsoncustom

• 5 months later...

It is my understanding that to truly heat treat a lead bullet it needs to be heated to 60% of the melting point of the lead ... Which would be 390 deg. Heating the bullet until it gets slick and wet looking. I have not powder coated any bullets yet, but what powder coating that I have done has been at 400 deg. Like I stated ... I have not powder coated any bullets yet ... But I plan to in the near future.

Focus on the most accurate load you can muster. From there it's going to require a wicked hold over to hit your mark.

FPS isn't going to mean much if you can't hit what you're aiming for.

Just out of curiosity, why the need to hit 300yrd with a 9mm? I would think you're asking more than the caliber can deliver.

This is something I played with a while back with a Camp carbine and Winchester bulk 124 gr. JHP. Never thought of trying it with cast.

With a Wolff +10% mainspring, the best I could get these bullets doing was 1475 f.p.s. using Blue Dot or Accurate #7. Pushing the powder charge anymore just caused the bolt to start opening prematurely and accuracy went to crap.

With a 100 yard zero, there is around 8 feet of bullet drop at 300 yards. Even a slight bit of crosswind made hitting my 8” gong an exorcize if futility but on a hot humid day, with a good spotter, it was surprisingly easy to get 50% hits.

Hope this helps.

Jeff