Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bolt lightening discussion, Was it worth it?

DocMedic

So its been a couple of years now since the whole craze of bolt lightening was discussed, and this due to possibly of more 3gun ready shotguns on the market. But I have notice we don't see any discussion about lightening VersaMax or Berretta bolts, etc etc. So the question is, was bolt lightening just a FAD? Was there ever any real benefit too it? The past 3 years RO'ing some large 3gun matches one recurring theme that I see is when a Benelli M2 went down the first thing I notice is that the bolt has been lighten, not saying that it was the cause of the benelli going down but it is the first thing to catch my eye. Does the reliability of the shotgun change over time because of the mod? I was just curious to get a discussion started. From reading threads in the past the only people that supported bolt lightening were people who actually did the work (bolt lightening)or customers that had the work done, was it Placebo Effect? Do those shooters still shoot those M2’s that been modded?

Lets Discuss

Edited by DocMedic

:(

One of the things I regret the most was winning a Cert from Accurate iron to get a full race package done to my benelli. but unfortunately I lost the cert during my move. When I found it it was past its expiration date, but one of the things I did want to get done was the bolt lightning, but then i went to open so the benelli stayed in the safe, now that I'm thinking of going back to it I was just wondering if it was still worth it.

Yes. Depends on who does the lightening. There is more information on the CalGuns forum than here about this idea. The Beretta bolt seems pretty light to me and is attached to rods, not the same as a Benelli bolt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I first lightened my M1 bolt in 1998 in collaboration with Benny. My gun had around 70,000 rounds on it. I still use the same gun today with a paltry 245,000+ . Is it worth it? It sure is to me! Do I sell bolt lightening services? NO!! But I will tell you this, it is THE MOST MISUNDERSTOOD MODIFICATION.....EVER!!!!

I would like to hear about it as well... I already had the full race setup done on my versa max including lightening and fluting the bolt done by triangle..... The recoil on the versamax is already extremely manageable but I must say that 300 rounds in I'm pretty impressed.... So far so good

• 5 weeks later...

Watch these videos so you understand the physics behind the system. The lightening of the bolt speeds up the bolt movement which equates to being able to shoot a tenth or two faster without getting hammer follow. A heavier bolt actually helps with lighter loads. Lighter/heavier inertia springs, hammer springs, and recoil springs changes things too.

I thought it was because Chicks Dig It.

West Chandler and Pat Kelley are the only guys I've ever seen outrun a shotgun in a match.

I can do it, as long as I'm only concerned with rounds going in the general direction of down range.

I've never done it with shot, but on the rare 2 slugs on paper stage, with close targets, yeah, I've outrun the gun. Easily. Transitioning between steel or clays is just enough to slow me down to not worry about it.

ha you were the first person that came to mind as i was reading this thread... some of the pistol splits that you have on steel on 3 gun nation tv show are insane.... it never fails, you miss once or twice and then mow down 3 or 4 with retarded splits and then patrick kelly says something about it... cracks me up every time