Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers or Press: What's the Problem?

Outbreak

After years of loading 9mm and .40 on my 650, I just started loading .45ACP for the first time, and so I'm using large pistol primers for the first time. A year or so ago, I got a screamin deal on Tula KVB-45 large pistol primers, so I have 5k.

I am having the hardest time with these primers. I have a brand new 4-pack of Dillon tubes, plus the one that came with my press years ago. The primers are tough to pick up in the tubes, getting stuck long before it's full. They get hung up when loading into the primer magazine. I think I've only had a couple hang up in the primer magazine, which is slightly terrifying to try and clear. Due to having about 10% small primer cases mixed in, I'm getting a lot of primers in the chute, and they seem to be even worse in all these respects when I try to reuse them.

The only thing these primers do properly is shoot.

So my question is that I have two variables here. I'm new to LPP and never used these primers before. Are large primers more finnicky than small in a Dillon 650? Or did I buy a sleeve of junk primers?

The tulas will work, but make sure you have a nice smooth bevel on your tubes.

Very important. Take the time to sort your brass for large and small primers. Don't be lazy. Instead of crushing a primer you can set one off. Very exciting. Just take the time to sort your batch once and be done with it.

Good luck,
DougC

If the primers don't fit the tubes, then they are almost certainly too large in diameter. Call Dillon and talk to them.

Buy 100 large pistol primers from CCI, Rem, or Win and see if they fit. If so, you know the Russkies failed to meet spec. dimensions.

How many rounds have you loaded on your press since you have replaced the springs on the press? I was having trouble with Tula LPP but it ended up being the press was a little out of alignment because some of the springs were wearing out. The 650 would work fine with any SPP including Tula, but the problems would show up with LPP.

Tula primers are a hair larger in SPP, LPP, and SRP and fit very snug when seating as far as my experience goes.

You may want to replace the springs on the primer assembly, and the return spring under the shell plate, (the long spring running around the ram under the shell plate)

Good luck

Return spring was replaced within the last probably 2k rounds. I've never replaced anything on the primer assembly in well over 15k since I've owned it. But I haven't really had issues with the primer mechanism, just the tubes before they get into the primer magazine. Once they're in the press they work fine.

Diameter sounds like the issue. I don't have any other LPP to check with calipers, but I believe iamdann.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

In my Square Deal, the Remington primers are fine, not much of a problem with stuck primers. However, when using CCI's I get stuck primers in the tubes from time to time. Just got a new 9 mm press the other day and used the CCI's I had bought some time ago (no problem with them in the Lee system), and the first tube filled had one stuck which could not get out. Normally, it is sheer impossible to get them out, so the tube needs to be discarded. I had the same issues with CCi's in the .45 press.

• 2 weeks later...