Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38Super Autocomp MAJOR wont stay flat

GunfighterAlpha

Hey guys. Experienced reloader, but pretty new to reloading for an open gun. I'm currently set up with a Bedell Custom 2011 in 38 Super with a 7 port comp. Started test loads out with 7.2 gn autocomp under Berrys 124. Felt like the comp didn't even exsist. Bumped it up to 7.6gn, slightly better but dot tracking is still tough with quite a bit of muzzle climb. I'm going to put some rounds together with a charge of 7.9gn under Berrys 124 running at 1.260 oal.

I ran a friends 9 major to compare and it was incredibly flat. Never lost the dot and I was back on target as soon as it chambered again. I'm looking for this type of performance out of my 38 super.

My question to you guys is what data are you using with Autocomp and 124's? If this 7.9gn load doesn't keep the gun flat I don't want to push that load any further without hearing from guys with more experience. At this point anything helps!

Thanks in advance guys, take care.

Edited by GunfighterAlpha

Hey guys. Experienced reloader, but pretty new to reloading for an open gun. I'm currently set up with a Bedell Custom 2011 in 38 Super with a 7 port comp. Started test loads out with 7.2 gn autocomp under Berrys 124. Felt like the comp didn't even exsist. Bumped it up to 7.6gn, slightly better but dot tracking is still tough with quite a bit of muzzle climb. I'm going to put some rounds together with a charge of 7.9gn under Berrys 124 running at 1.260 oal.

I ran a friends 9 major to compare and it was incredibly flat. Never lost the dot and I was back on target as soon as it chambered again. I'm looking for this type of performance out of my 38 super.

My question to you guys is what data are you using with Autocomp and 124's? If this 7.9gn load doesn't keep the gun flat I don't want to push that load any further without hearing from guys with more experience. At this point anything helps!

Thanks in advance guys, take care.

What PF is your load?? Also what weight recoil spring are you running?

I have the same gun. I think you'll find that autocomp is a bit fast for this setup and will always feel kind of flippy. You just aren't getting the gas you need in the balls. Is autocomp your only available choice?

I have two loads that work pretty well:

8.4 gr. 4756 X 124 gr. Hard cast plated round nose. (practice load)

9.6 gr. 3N38 X same bullet. Match load (flatter)

Going to try N105 if I can ever get some.

Both make about 168 - 170 pf

No Chrono yet, Picking one up next week. Up until now I haven't needed one, I have a perfect load for production that makes PF. Recoil spring is a 9 and mainspring is a 17. As for the 9 major round, I forget the charge weight, but its autocomp under a 124 at 1.168 oal. I have many different power choices, Up here in Canada there's no powder shortage, not in Manitoba anyway. I'll give those suggested loads a go if those powders are in stock around here.

With a compensated gun, selecting a powder that requires a larger charge weight for the same velocity will provide more gas for the compensator. That will help to reduce the muzzle climb. A lighter bullet will also help because you'll need even more gunpowder for the same power factor. Those are the principles of loading for a compensator. That said, many folks will find what fits them best with testing and experimenting. Some folks would like Autocomp, and someone else might prefer 3N38. But trying a different powder might be an interesting experiment for you.

Can you go that low - does Canada follow USPSA or IPSC rules for bullet weight in Open class? i.e. is the lowest weight 120 gr or 112 gr?

Going to a lighter bullet will reduce muzzle rise even if you stay with Autocomp because you'll need more charge weight to hit the same power factor, and the extra gas will reduce muzzle rise.

Keep in mind that you might need to do some experimenting to find what suits you best. A compensator really changes recoil compared to a limited gun, and it might take you a little while to adapt to the change and find what you like. This is normal. Just enjoy the ride.

We follow IPSC rules up here. Don't get me wrong, I'm not frustrated, I enjoy playing around with as many different variations as I can to find what works for me. That's part of the reason I'm enjoying open so much. I love how many factors come into play just to make the gun run well.

I'd stop experimenting with Major loads until your chrono comes in ...

Auto Comp and 124 grain bullets (I wouldn't use Berry's, either - but that doesn't relate to

your making the gun shoot flat) should work - but you need more powder -

And, you don't want to add more powder until you get your chrono up

and running ..... :cheers:

Yeah, you are flying blind without a chrono. Wait to get the chronograph before you continue working up your major loads with your gun.

IMHO - An open gun is a "system" in which all of the components have to be in balance to get the results that works best for you. Springs (mainspring and recoil spring) and firing pin stop shape have a large influence on how the dot tracks. So, if after developing a decent major load you still aren't satisfied then you can easily tinker with the springs and firing pin stop radius to help tame the beast.

Give some 115s a try. Okay, let me try this again. Since you can't use 115 grain bullets (since you're following IPSC rules) you could try some 121 grain bullets, but the difference between 121s and 124s is small. You're probably better off trying a different powder to see if it feels better for you. That would produce the largest change.

I also agree with the folks above about waiting until you get a chronograph to conduct further tests. A chrono will give you valuable feedback.

Edited because I was asleep when I first replied!!

Edited by superdude

Just got my chrono and picked up some 3N38. 4756 is next to impossible to find around here but most Vit powders are available. I can get my hands on 3N38, 3N37, N150 and N350. Bullet choices here is limited to Berrys and Cam Pro for readily available bullets. I'll put a few rounds together and see what we can come up with.

in the VV powders N105, 3N37, 3N38 and N350 are all fairly widely used major powders in open guns.

I've used N350 and 3N38 and like them both. I think the 3N38 is probably a little bit nicer to shoot but as always it will vary with bullet weight, gun type, comp etc etc.

If you don't want to chase your tail using heap of powders try the 3N38 and the N350 first. they are the 2 in the middle. 3N37 is faster than both of them and N105 is slower than both.

I have a old Limcat with a turbo-comp and 3 popple holes. Autocomp seem to shoot pretty flat for me. My load is 7.5gr under a MG HP 124gr @ 1.255-1.260 this gives me about 1380fps. The dot never leaves the C-More I get probably less that 1/4 in (6 mm) rise in the dot. I was just given 700 115gr MG HP's to see how a lighter bullet works.

I also have a ton of Power Pistol I've heard people have had good luck with that powder. The Sierra reloading manual lists loads for both 115 & 124 with Power Pistol and both just barely miss Major PF. Power Pistol is a flashy loud powder in 9 and 40. It seems to produce a ton of gas. YMMV as with all things.

Edited by mjmagee67

Got the chrono out and some 3N38. Running 9.6gn of 3N38 under a 124 is giving me too much gas. dot is pushed out of the c more. I cant back that load off any because they're just coming in at 1360-1370. I'm going to go back to that autocomp and see if I cant make it run flat. Going to test some 3N37 tomorrow morning as well. I'll Keep you updated. Comp has 3 popple holes at the top with 2 on either side up front.