Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pro custom 18.9's.. How are they running? Mag set up's?

chanman

MarvZ. You said that right! I've got one wacky post ban mag that hangs and won't drop free if the mag spring tension is too much. Springs and followers that work in all other mags will not work in this mag . I have one low power spring that allows it to work and feed 20 round of .40. I wish para had been as serious as Sti about building competition pistols. Supposedly these new mags are supposed to be better but people are still are having trouble . The move to Alabama isn't helping much as mags are vapor ware. Not ragging on para as I like my new one.. Just consistency.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The best way to go with STI mags. Canyon Creek makes a modified mag catch that locks the mag in tightly. Everybody has issues with mags. My new 18 round Para mags work great, but won't take an extension without jamming. I just bought 4 almost new 140mm .40 cal Brazo tuned STI mags for my TJ 16.40 with the CC catch. I have 4 Para mags with stock followers and dawson pads that have been flawless at 20+1 in it , but I wanted to switch to STI's in that one also. Out of the 4 STI's I bought, in two of them the springs jam and turn the mags into salt shakers. Brand new Grams springs, followers and TTI base pads. These 4 mags retail for $600 thru Brazos and three of them have never been used. Makes you not feel so bad about the Para mags. Once this whole Remington/Para merger works out, I'm sure mags will be available again.

Marv Z, that's the exact route I'm going with my 18.9. I've got 3 more standard 140mm 20 rnd STI mags coming today. I've gotten pretty good at tuning para mags over the years but it sounds like STI's are a whole new game. I was going to try the TTI base pads this time. Sounds like I'm gonna have my hands full! I wonder what capacity on para mags would be with extended basepads?

I got 21 in mine, but couldn't make them work with the Arredondo springs/ followers. I can get 21 in the STI tubes with the Dawson pads on, so that's good enough for most 3 Gun matches. Still my XDM with Canyon Creek internals and pads are that best at 23. That's what I used last year for 3 Gun, but the 18.9 shoots so great. I really want to use that next year!!!

Marv Z, I get twenty in my 16-40 para mags with Dawson pads so I was hoping to squeeze more out of the 18.9. Like you this will be my 3gun pistol. I was hoping for 23-24. I just got my trigger job parts today so I'm hoping to have this gun in action in February.

Edited by telecat

I have been shooting mine since July and have had zero issues with it. CDNN Sports had a killer deal on these at 799.00 after the $100 mail in rebate. I have only used the stock magazines that came with the guns and the extras that I purchased directly from the Para Pro Shop. The site says that is currently being changed and is not currently available to purchase magazines. In my opinion this gun is a great shooting accurate handgun that also is a great value. I cannot see spending almost 1-1.5 times what I spent on mine for a STI or other custom 2011 style pistol.

I bought the Pro Custom 18.9, also have a four year old 18.9 Limited. I have 12 mags with the Limited with the Dawson Ext on them. I also have a STI Dawson CRP 9mm Eagle with 8 of the reg base pads 126mm mags.

I only have a few hundred rounds thru the new PC9 but I have run all the above mags with it with zero problems without changing anything. The only thing i have done to the PC9 is a trigger job and changed to a Springco 10lb recoil spring. am also going to order a more substantial guide rod.

hey guys.

got my 18.9 to the range today.

gun is very very smooth (had been cycling and dry firing a LOT since i got it)

very accurate for me, although the indoor range i went to had terrible lighting making it very very hard to see the rear sight as it wa so dark inside.

however, once i got around to it, i was able to get thigns where i wanted them to. recoil is ver very light. i normally shoot a glock 27 (.40 cal), S&W Shield (.40 cal) or a Sig P938. so i normally shoot a much smalleer gun with a more pwoerful round. so it was very pleasant to shoot something as mild as the para.

i was able to load 19 rounds into both of the magazines that came with the gun

100 rounds of RWS 115 grain were flawless

80 rounds of RWS 124 grain were flawless

20 rounds of corbon 115 grain +P+ were terrible. of the 20 rounds, 18 failed to go into battery. this was rectified with wither a palm push to the rear of the slide or slingshot. in all instances the tip of the bullet (corbon hollowpoint) was hung up on the ramp (cartridge had no tilt to it), but was able to chamber and fire by tapping the back of the slide or using the full slingshot method of slide return to battery. this was not unexpected, as the corbon has trouble feeding in other pistols.

other than the corbon, i was very happy with the gun. it is very smooth. trigger breaks well for me (has a lot of vertical play though) and the round nose fed perfectly and were accurate for me at 30 feet.

the attached targets show all 200 rounds.

(all targets were hung by a corner, so the deviation is vertical, not horizontal, fyi)

post-28301-0-61060200-1420927044_thumb.j

Edited by vactor

Ran my 18.9 in a match wed night cold and windy used sti 9 mag and para fac. all ran fine. Won the match by 7.54 sec. and only 6pts down. Gun only has 200rds on it first match i have used it in , was going to do use it in 3gun today but we were rained out .

Ran my 18.9 in a match wed night cold and windy used sti 9 mag and para fac. all ran fine. Won the match by 7.54 sec. and only 6pts down. Gun only has 200rds on it first match i have used it in , was going to do use it in 3gun today but we were rained out .

Are you using a standard STI 9mm mag such as this one: https://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000CA8-1388518163

I'd really hate to pay $64 for a magazine but I've pretty much shelved my Para until I can get more magazines. It's a pain to try and shoot 5 strings in steel challenge with 2 mags. (Yeah I know go 5 for 5 on each string and two mags are plenty) :).

• 2 weeks later...

They do in mine. I had to smooth the top edges of the follower just a bit as the slide would catch it when empty but that was just one mag of 3 sti 140mm's.

can you post a pic of where you file down.

I will but the gun is at my gunsmith having a trigger job and flat trigger installed so it's a couple weeks out. The mags are with the gun too. On the one that hung up, it was very obvious where it was hitting. It was scoring the follower. Mine was the top back corner. I rounded that a bit and it worked great!