Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650 and a Sam's Club Ultra Heavy Duty workbench

I'm a few days away from making The Plunge on an XL650. I recently bought a Sam's Club Ultra Heavy Duty workbench which weighs quite a bit and is quite sturdy. It's a bit higher than I had planned on and I'm concerned that the addition of the Strong Mount will make me feel like a midget.

If anyone has this setup, or a similar setup, did you opt for the strong mount? Perhaps an Inline Fabrication UltraMount Junior (+4" rise)?

EDIT: Sam's site has this bench at 38" high.

Edited by tastic

My Dillon 650 on Strong Mount is about 35" from floor (34" Harbor Freight workbench and another 3/4" board on top to raise the press to a height I like). This seems about right for me to load while standing, I'm 5' 11" tall.

I have considered the sams club bench. Another forum member said did not move at all. I currently have mine mounted on a solid old desk. To tall for a chair to short for standing. Mounted on a strong mount

I have this setup. I am 6 4 and it's too tall. I think it's an easy fix with a taller chair.

I'm only 5'11". I think I'll not buy the strong mount to start out with and see how things go.

How do you like the bench? It should support two XL650s just fine, correct?

The bench is pretty solid, the foot leveling system uses threaded bolts that attach to the feet. My shop has a grade in it and where I placed the table I have to crank up the feet somewhat. That put more wiggle into the table. I actually went with the slightly smaller table its almost identical but a bit narrower. It seemed to me that the cross braces on the larger one would interfere with flush mounting the dillon 650. I got this one:

https://www.sevilleclassics.com/lighted_work_center_ultra_hd

My plan was to have 2 of them 1 for each machine. It already has the lights and pegboard.

The larger one might be more stable overall tho.

No matter which bench you use, be sure to fasten it to the wall!

^^^

this, to reduce shaking the primer system and flipped primers.

Also, consider using case lube, even for straight-walled piston cartridges and carbide dies. Less force on handle seems to lead to less shaking of the press and less Q/C issues (flipped primers) in my experience.

• 2 weeks later...

The bench is pretty solid, the foot leveling system uses threaded bolts that attach to the feet. My shop has a grade in it and where I placed the table I have to crank up the feet somewhat. That put more wiggle into the table. I actually went with the slightly smaller table its almost identical but a bit narrower. It seemed to me that the cross braces on the larger one would interfere with flush mounting the dillon 650. I got this one:

https://www.sevilleclassics.com/lighted_work_center_ultra_hd

My plan was to have 2 of them 1 for each machine. It already has the lights and pegboard.

The larger one might be more stable overall tho.

How is the ultra HD bench working out? Any pics of your setup?

I load on a Sam's club bench with both a 550 and Square on Smart mounts. Works great for me. I do all my reloading standing. I took 3/4 plywood and made a shelf on the bottom of the bench for storage. then took another strip and screwed it into back of the bench and then into the studs on the wall. works perfect.

IMG_0867_zps1241188f.jpg

I too have one of these. I have a Forster Coax and a Dillon xl 650 on it. Its a great bench. I use the Inline Fabrication Mounts the junior for the COAX and the micro for the Dillon both a quick change plate so switching and adding other items to it is easy. They have blank quick change plates u can drill yourself.

maybe a bit late on the draw on this one,, but I use two of the SAMS benches, and they are perfect for standing and loading when used with the strong mount . I am 6'3", sitting does not work as well for me. I have a couple of 650s and a couple of 550s mounted. You never have enough room .......