Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

124s and HS-6 (hodgdon)

ghost21

Anyone using HS-6 with 124s in 9mm? Also in 40 SW

Any favorite loads with this powder, I found a half pound ,I didn't know I had(don't remember what caliber I used it for)

Any pet loads?

Thanks

Jeff

Edited by ghost21

I just tested HS6 powder today. The result was. H&N 125g HP, 8.5g 30.7mm gave me 173PF. Full size Svi hybrid with 3 popple holes and brazos Thundercomp 2. I compared the HS6 to 3n38. I had to put 9.0g to make the same PF. same length and bullet. Alvin

Only a million people...

Its a slow open major powder, one of the 3 powders that 9mm open major can use. Don't use it for 9mm minor or 40, sell it to an open shooter. He will be forever grateful. :)

jj

Why don't use it for 9mm minor? I am seeing loads in the hodgdon reload guide for 6.0grs under a 124 bullet.

Please elaborate on this!

BTw I don't have enough of the HS-6 to even get a good price for it, I have enough for about 150 to 200 test loads, Just wanted to try it out in some of my 9 and 40 loads!

Only a million people...

Its a slow open major powder, one of the 3 powders that 9mm open major can use. Don't use it for 9mm minor or 40, sell it to an open shooter. He will be forever grateful. :)

jj

Why don't use it for 9mm minor? I am seeing loads in the hodgdon reload guide for 6.0grs under a 124 bullet.

He means - don't waste it on minor, as it is very desirable for major load, and people are looking for it, whereas you have many other choices in regular 9mm loads.

I Just did a search and according to the newly updated Vihtavuori reloading manual HS-6 has the same burn rate as N330. And in the vihta powder description,N330 can be used in place of accurate No 5. Having the same burn wouldn't you be able to get similar loads with HS-6 as you would with N330 or accurate No 5?

You will have to forgive me guys ,I still shoot ( a match here and there) but I've been out of the game for awhile and I used to know all this like it was my middle name ,But not playing the game for awhile I have gotten a little rusty!

Jeff

Jeff, as a general rule of thumb faster powders burn cleaner and produce a softer recoil impulse at the same velocity. You can certainly load 9 minor with HS6 and 124s, but it will likely be more harsh feeling and dirtier than other options. That being said it is a desirable powder for compensated 9mm pistols so you could likely trade it for a better powder for your purposes like Titegroup, Clays, WST, etc.

HS6 burns better at the upper end of the scale. I have had some 6.0 to 6.5 loads that did well in most aspects (accuracy, reliability, consistency) but was still dirty. It does burn cleaner when you push it into the 8 to 9 range but do NOT do this unless you are shooting the right gun and are working up slowly watching for pressure signs. It is one of the most highly coveted 9Major powders so it would be nice to trade it to an Open shooter (like me :) )with a more suitable 9mm minor powder. I have tried 8 different powders for 9Major and HS6 is my favorite.

Also, do not go by burn charts and try to use the same loads as "similar" powders, that will get you in trouble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just a note, I was just comparing the burn rates, would never use them to work up loads!

Thanks for the info guys! Maybe I can find an open shooter near me here in Columbia that has some titegroup they would like to trade, I have about a half pound of the HS-6.

Besides, I do like the titegroup in 9mm and 40 SW.

Thanks

Jeff

Only a million people...

jj

BTw I don't have enough of the HS-6 to even get a good price for it, I have enough for about 150 to 200 test loads, Just wanted to try it out in some of my 9 and 40 loads!

^What they said... :)

That powder is rare so use sparingly. :) I believe Hodgdon hasn't had that powder in stock for more than a year.

oh for me, chronoed using a CED Chrono :

124gr MG CMJ

WSRP

1.165 OAL

5" barrel, no holes

8.1gr Hodgdon HS-6

~ 168pf.

Edited by robot

That powder is rare so use sparingly. :) I believe Hodgdon hasn't had that powder in stock for more than a year.

Absolutimo... that is why I am switching to Auto Comp, still have over a pound of HS-6 left, but saving it.

• 8 months later...

Only a million people...

jj

Three powders? I can think of about 6 that 9mm open major can use.

Only a million people...

jj

Yeah, me too and actually a few more.

Wow, old thread.

HS 6 is not rare. You just have to watch Powder Valley daily. I got 20 LBs several months ago. 1 pounders, but all the same Lot #.

When listed at Powder Valley--They sell it out in one day.

Only a million people...

jj

Yeah, me too and actually a few more.

Wow, old thread.

Yea, old thread...

Whatever...contradict me if you must. The three that come to mind are Autocomp, Silloette, and HS6.

Afaik, anything else USUALLY is too bulky and over-fills the case or is wayyyy compressed, either way is a pia to load 9mm on a progressive because of slinging powder all over the place.

(3n37 comes to mind as highly compressed, 3n38 is right at the top edge of the case)

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ