Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walnut media, NuFinish and Dryer Sheets

ES13Raven

New reloader here.

How many times can you use a batch of crushed walnut (pet store) to clean brass?

Are you supposed to add a capful of NuFinish to each brass run, or does one capful last several brass runs?

Are you supposed to use new dryer sheets or used?

Thanks.

Edited by ES13Raven

ES13Raven

I also use crushed walnut.

I usually run several thousand 9MM or 40S&W brass thru it, in several different loads. Usually about 500-1000 pieces of brass at a time. The crushed walnut may last 3-5 times. When it is discolored (based on looking at new crushed walnut), I toss it.

I use new dryer sheets, as I don't use them in a dryer at all. I throw them away when they have picked up a lot of dust! usually about as long as the crushed walnut lasts.

And I don't use any additive, but I also don't care about shiny brass, just clean!

Hope this helps!

I make a solution of half mineral spirits and half Nu-Finish in a glass jar and keep next to tumbler.

Shake and pour a little in every 3-4 times.

I like to start tumbler and put solution in for a few minutes before adding cases so it distributes evenly throughout media. Nu Finish by itself is like glue.

+1 On diluting the nufinish. I also do not polish with walnut. I polish with corn cob after cleaning with walnut. The walnut is abrasive and cleans the crud off then corn cob with a drop or two of nufinish mix every 3-4 loads of brass. Keep a small dish of clean, fresh walnut on the bench. Every now and then pinch some in your fingers to compare the old to the new. Once all the sharp edges are worn off it takes forever to clean the brass.

After 5-6 years of walnut media I added another bag from the pet store, that was 3 years ago, and many thousands of cases, I judge by the color of the media when more NuFinish is needed, if it's brown it's GTG, I don't use dryer sheets at all.

I use dryer sheets after they've been run through the dryer. I use 2 sheets and cut them into 3 making 6 total. They are tossed after each batch. Never tried unused sheets. But I have used store brand an national brand, stay with national brand.

As JON said "DUST". Crushed Walnut shells has a lot of dust built up in it and the Dryer sheets collect the dust. For the last 5 years, I run 2 vibrators. The first one has crushed walnut, the other has corn cob. I use the walnut to clean and the corn cob to polish. I usually run the brass for 30-40min in each. I've used Nufinish + the std Dillon polish. Can't tell the difference between them other than price. I've never tried the mineral spirts.

I use a mix of corn cob and walnut....not because I wanted to, it just all got dumped in the same bucket one time...it seems to work quite well like that...50/50. I've never added anything to it, not nu-finish, mineral spirits, dryer sheets, nothing. Then again, I dont sit there waiting on it to get done either. I put a couple thousand cases in the tumbler, turn it on, and do whatever else needs to be done around the house for the next 2-3 hours....or more...I don't care if it's shiny....as long as it feeds in the press and in the gun.

I use a mixture of crushed walnut and corn cob (about 2/3 corn). I add NuFinish, couple capfuls of mineral spirits, and a cut up used dryer sheet for every batch. Been using same batch for at least 4-5 months and done thousands of rounds. I probably do at least 500 per week. Just did a batch last night and still get very shiny at 3 hours. I also soak them beforehand with mixture of LemiShine and Dawn dishwashing soap and that gets most all the crud off before go in the tumbler.

I use a 50/50 mixture of Corncob and Walnut as well. I add a 1/4 cup of mineral spirits about every 3 loads of brass. I never knew about the dryer sheet trick. After the media gets old, it does get a little dusty. I'm gonna try it.

I use 3/4 walnut & 1/4 corn cob with a capful of Nufinish. Also cut a used dryer sheet in 1/4's for dust. The dryer sheets get tossed after every batch. I run about 600-700 rounds on a capful of Nufinish at 250-300 rounds per batch. I toss the media mix when the corn cob is charcoal colored. I have run about 3k rounds through in about 4 weeks on this media mix. Will probably change the mix before I run anymore brass. I find that the Nufinish helps to lube the .40 Brass before I run it through the GRX die. Crushed walnut and corn cob is cheap at Petsmart, 25lb bags at a time.

Edit: I also bought a plug in timer for my tumbler. Now I set the timer, fill the tumbler and check it when I think about it. I can set it to start right before I get home from work or can set it to go off sometime during the night and don't have to worry about it.

Edited by Waynebob126