Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mid-priced .223/5.56 "best all-around" 3-gun ammo?

dchang0

I'm running out of my former stockpile of "match" factory 75gr .223 ammo, and given the cost of the same round (now about 55 cents per round), it's probably time to find a better factory round, something that is less costly but still "good enough" for 10" steel plates at 450yds. "Good enough" here means <2MOA but not necessarily <1MOA.

Basically, I'm looking for something that is cheap enough that I won't feel bad using it for the close-range IPSC targets but just barely good enough to hit the long-range targets without costing as much as the "match" ammo.

In other words:

.223 or 5.56

factory new (I do not reload any more and do not trust reloaded ammo)

bullet does not attract a magnet

between the cost of brass-cased 55gr factory new ammo (approx 35 cents per thousand now) and 69gr "match" factory new ammo (as low as 50 cents per thousand now). Closer to 35 cents per round is better than closer to 50 cents per round, obviously.

consistently <2MOA

I figure there has to be something "in between" or "all-purpose" or "best all-around" ammo for the 3-gun sport.

Muzzle velocity doesn't matter to me so much as tight grouping. If it matters, I am currently running a MSTN/Noveske JLT 17" rifle-gas 1/8 twist "Mod 0" chamber barrel that was sub-MOA when new. Not sure what MOA it shoots now, but it's certainly less than 2MOA with the 75gr PRVI Partizan match .223 I am running now.

Thanks in advance.

Sir,

My rifle loves Federal XM193. I'm running a 13.7" Rainier Ultra Match barrel and getting right at MOA with XM193 that's still running just north of 3000fps.

Hope this helps a bit.

Matt

For those who are using the American Eagle 55gr what velocities are you getting at the muzzle?

It is advertised at 3240 (24" test barrel) fps but so was the Freedom Munitions which chronoed for me at 2797 with a Nordic Components 18" Wylde barrel and a Seekins ATC muzzle break.

I had a chance to confirm my zero at 100 yards the other day but my chrono was too hot to see the screen.

Thanks for the help.

I was getting ~3000 fps from AE in my 16" JP. XM in the same barrel was low 3100s.

XM out of my Nordic 18 was around 3300 fps.

Hope this doesn't repeat, I think I hit a wrong button. I've had great luck using ASYM 75 gr for the longer range stuff. Hornady Tap 75 also shoots well. Both are around a buck a piece but if I can hit at 350 using my EOTech, I'll pay the price. XM 193 does fine out to 200 but by 400 group sizes double compared to the ASYM or Tap.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the consistency and quality of the AE55s that KurtM is using. It runs fine, it is not sub MOA, but just a shade over out of my ARs.

I have used the Hornady Steel Match, yes, a tad slow, fine for blaster range, and accurate. However, multiple handling of it does remove the dry lube. In the 75 grain, it won't function well in my PMags, but works fine in the Lancers and GI mags. If I had to buy 69s, the Black Hills would be on my short list. Always have had 100% function and <1 MOA with that stuff. It was the first ammo I shot back in 2005 when I built my first AR and it continues to be good stuff.

• 5 months later...

Thread revive! Anyone ever chrono the Hornady 55gr Steel Match out of a 16" barrel? I was shooting at 500yds today with a few 55 and 62gr loads and all easily hitting either slightly high or low on a 10" plate with a center hold. Decide to throw some of the Hornady down range and it's in a different zip code. I couldn't even spot my misses, which means they where getting lost somewhere in a brush pile about 30yds short of the target. Must be a good bit slower than most.