Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grand Power in the US: best time to purchase?

IDPA rules, look at section 8.5:

http://members.idpa.com/Content/Rules/g0hunysc.eoc.pdf

Does it seem legal to you? Yes, I happen to enjoy the red neck league once in a while.

Nic: after pestering my LGS, I now have an X-cal inbound. Anxiously waiting to try it. 2 questions:

1) since you commented on IDPA, I assume it fits in the box and is IDPA legal? Should be OK for SSP and ESP, correct?

2) have you gotten used to the clockwise recoil torque that you commented on previously?

Thx, JR

It should fit the IDPA box, since it fits the IPSC box, although the latter is deeper. If anything, you may have to switch the safety levers which would not be an issue if you shoot SSP (DA start).

IDPA SSP has no list, unlike USPSA production. Read section 8.2.1: http://members.idpa.com/Content/Rules/g0hunysc.eoc.pdf

You may have to bring some printout of the Grand Power website or even a brochure to show that this gun comes as it is. You may have a hard time explaining that, yes, the slide ports are stock, as are the sights (USPSA allows sight modifications, not slide ones).

All that is required is a 2,000 production. Showing a printout of the fact that it is on the IPSC production list (and USPSA once it is) would prove that it meets the requirements.

Don't forget that some IDPA SOs are very strict as far as rules and regulations.

The yaw you mention is only an issue if you shoot weak hand without prior practice. It was worse with the K100, not much with the X-Cal, which I love.

Nic: Based on all the discussions of the X-Calibur I got one (can't wait to shoot it tomorrow for the first time!).

However, I researched this question a little more and, strictly speaking, I don't think its IDPA legal. By my interpretation (please correct if I missed something), its because of the bull barrel. Specifically, per 8.1.7.3. heavy and/or cone style barrels without a barrel bushing are not legal except as allowed in ESP and CDP divisions with length restrictions. If you look under the ESP section of the rules, 8.2.2.2.21. states that heavy or cone style barrels on firearms are only legal with barrel lengths of 4.25” or less. Lastly, I think the slide cuts are not allowed in ESP, as per 8.2.2.3.2. removal of material from the exterior of the slide other than front cocking serrations, tri-top, engraving, carry melts, and high power cuts. I hope I'm wrong about this, because I would love to use it in IDPA, but it seems pretty clear.

Nonetheless, its an awesome looking gun and I'm sure I'll love shooting it tomorrow...

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd take a close look when you talk about heavy or cone barrels. My assumption is the wording may refer to replacement barrels, not the factory standard for that model. Simply put, you can not buy an Xcal that does not have the slide scallops or that profile barrel.

Where can you buy extra mags. I am tempted to buy the x caibur when it becomes available.

I purchased from APEX Gun Parts https://apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/products_id/4237

Century was also selling new old-stock from when they were primary importers. Not sure if they still have them in stock, but they're a pain in the butt to work with anyways.

Even though they say K100 and GP6, they're identical to the mags that shipped with my new Xcalibur.

Thank you

I'd take a close look when you talk about heavy or cone barrels. My assumption is the wording may refer to replacement barrels, not the factory standard for that model. Simply put, you can not buy an Xcal that does not have the slide scallops or that profile barrel.

I am no kind of expert when it comes to interpreting IDPA rules. I think I'll cross post this in the IDPA forum and see what they say...

Well, talking about magazines... It turns out that I only have 5 left after some #^&$#* burglarized my home on Friday. It was obviously a snatch and grab by a meth head who stole my laptop, my Playstation and my range bag.

I think he thought my gun was in there but fortunately I am not totally dumb and it's a good thing that meth heads aren't usually good at cracking safes.

I had my 20-round magazine, my magazine modified to 19 rounds and the two magazines which I could load up to 17, plus another one. And my ear and eye protection, plus 200-some rounds of 9mm, Dillon boxes, several tools, my USPSA RO credentials, etc... etc...

But, anyway, life goes on!

And he was lucky I did not catch him in the act. I won't say more.

Edited by NicVerAZ

Well, talking about magazines... It turns out that I only have 5 left after some #^&$#* burglarized my home on Friday. It was obviously a snatch and grab by a meth head who stole my laptop, my Playstation and my range bag.

I think he thought my gun was in there but fortunately I am not totally dumb and it's a good thing that meth heads aren't usually good at cracking safes.

I had my 20-round magazine, my magazine modified to 19 rounds and the two magazines which I could load up to 17, plus another one. And my ear and eye protection, plus 200-some rounds of 9mm, Dillon boxes, several tools, my USPSA RO credentials, etc... etc...

But, anyway, life goes on!

And he was lucky I did not catch him in the act. I won't say more.

DAmn!!!!

Not a problem, glad to help.

Just got home from putting another few hundred rounds through it, so it was already on the bench. As it sits, I removed part #52, the "firing spring back-up", which dropped close to two pounds off of the trigger pull weight, bringing it down to just a bit over 8# DA and 2.25# SA, but I have not polished or cleaned up anything inside. When I hit 2K rounds through the gun in another week, I'll do another detail strip and polish up any points of contact/wear that I find.

Edited by r0kawn

Maybe you GP guys can help me out.

I Picked up an X-Cal recently.

It came with the shortest recoil spring installed.

I want to make sure I understand the spring applications.

The flat wire spring is for heavy +p loads?

The longer round wire spring is for standard loads and best for 115 and 124gr bullets?

The shorter spring is for light loads and best for 147gr reloads?

Have I got it right?

Also - anyone know the fiber optic rod diameter?

Thanks,

Edited by Parks

I believe the claimed difference was that the spare wire spring was a little weaker and better for the lighter rounds. I think this was the longer spring, but cannot remember.

Reason being- I changed between them multiple times and could not tell any difference. Lost track of which was which and have not been inclined to care.

The red flat wound spring, on the other hand, is Serious Business. It's extremely difficult to even get the gun together with that one in place. Sure seems like we could use a spring more like the flat blue spring that came in the mk7 K100/P1.

As it sits, I removed part #52, the "firing spring back-up", which dropped close to two pounds off of the trigger pull weight, bringing it down to just a bit over 8# DA and 2.25# SA, but I have not polished or cleaned up anything inside. When I hit 2K rounds through the gun in another week, I'll do another detail strip and polish up any points of contact/wear that I find.

Let me know how polishing goes. I haven't measured the SA pull, but with the new sear I have recently got (should be the same sear as in all your new guns) the DA pull is a little over 8 pounds without any springs removed. ;)

I don't want to overstate this, so by all means check with Troy...

If you look you will find a picture of Troy holding the X-Calibur at SHOT, giving the thumbs up.

Prior to SHOT, he said he could not see a problem, and should be able to get it on the list as soon as the show closed.

At SHOT, he mentioned that there was an issue with a denial of service attack on the USPSA server, so it might take him a few days to get it listed, but that we were good to go.

I don't want to overstate this, so by all means check with Troy...

If you look you will find a picture of Troy holding the X-Calibur at SHOT, giving the thumbs up.

Prior to SHOT, he said he could not see a problem, and should be able to get it on the list as soon as the show closed.

At SHOT, he mentioned that there was an issue with a denial of service attack on the USPSA server, so it might take him a few days to get it listed, but that we were good to go.

Now if I could just find one..... Anyone know of a dealer getting a bunch, maybe I could preorder there?