Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grand Power in the US: best time to purchase?

It's an off menu option. Which is to say it was not and currently is not listed in the catalog with that option.

The Canadian distributor asked if we could ship some that way...

While the decocking hammer group has a very nice trigger, it's not the same as the standard X-Calibur.

Who sells these guns in Canada ?

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, here's an interesting thing:

I shot my X-Cal for the first time today, and I think I experienced limp wrist issues. Which was also a first. If anything, I tend to be overaggressive and stiff, causing a host of other issues, but never FTE's.

I was noticing the ejection distance was often VERY short, and I had cleared one or two errant stovepipes in the first 50 rounds. Seemed odd, but figured it just needed a little break-in. When it started to get WORSE, I suddenly realized that I had been instinctually treating the damn thing like a .22 target pistol. Just super-relaxed, letting the recoil happen, focusing all on sights and trigger. I even remember thinking that I was surprised the recoil was as strong as it was; not considering that I was barely holding onto the gun...

So I swung to the opposite side of the spectrum and starting bearing down on the gun like it was a subcompact .45. And holy crap, it came alive. No matter how bad my technique, accuracy remained pretty great. I can casually, with no focus, pull the trigger, and groups are damn consistent. Not super-tight, but always centered on the bulls-eye. I finally understand the stuff about watching the front sight rise. In something not all that far from mag-dumping rapid fire, I can watch the front sight kick up ever so slightly, and then immediately regain my initial sight picture.

...it's a good gun.

It definitely rewards proper grip and trigger technique. A firm and well distributed grip is all you should need.

Also, play with the other round coil spring. The lightest spring is probably right on the money for 147gr 132pf ammo, and the one in the gun when it shipped is likely ideal for 125gr ammo. The red flat coil spring is best for +p ammo should you want to push the limits.

Regarding the grip, I explained that a couple days ago. You need to keep it tight and firm and concentrate on making your shots for the first couple hundred rounds, or else you will take bad habits.

Over extending the support thumb also pays off on this gun. Unlike a Glock or an XDm, it will go to slide lock even if the support thumb is holding strong.

My current trick, which is not production legal but limited legal, is to put a piece of grip tape over the take down lever on the weak side so that the support thumb can ride on it. This will help build good gripping habit.

Regarding the recoil spring, it seems to be the same length as on the K100. The slide is machined so that the recoil spring sits about half an inch further back from the tip of the slide than on the K100. The barrel protrudes 1/4 inch further out of the slide, Which is also how it manages to be 5 inches long.

This gives full compatibility of parts and allows the same trick as with the K100, namely B92 recoil springs cut to fit.

A recoil spring gauge is something I want to buy once I settled another debt.

I have found that 147gr CMJ RN (I use Frontier) at 1.120 OAL with 3.4gr of Titegroup have a 131 PF out of the XCal.

Slowest out of 9 (1 gave an error) was 842, fastest 922 but most were in the 900 to 915 fps range.

Very nice to shoot but not super accurate: 4" group at 10yd 2 hands grip. Thinking about lenghtening to increase consistency and decrease speed.

124gr with 4.0 of TG had a 132 PF and was much more accurate: 2.5" group at 10yd 2 hand grip.

Sunny Arizona winter with a 50F temperature, light wind (enough to flip pages).

I have a batch of 135 Bayou bullets on the way.

Titegroup is available a plenty these days.

Edited by NicVerAZ

I shot my X-Cal for the first time today, and I think I experienced limp wrist issues. Which was also a first. If anything, I tend to be overaggressive and stiff, causing a host of other issues, but never FTE's.

I was noticing the ejection distance was often VERY short, and I had cleared one or two errant stovepipes in the first 50 rounds. Seemed odd, but figured it just needed a little break-in. When it started to get WORSE, I suddenly realized that I had been instinctually treating the damn thing like a .22 target pistol. Just super-relaxed, letting the recoil happen, focusing all on sights and trigger. I even remember thinking that I was surprised the recoil was as strong as it was; not considering that I was barely holding onto the gun...

So I swung to the opposite side of the spectrum and starting bearing down on the gun like it was a subcompact .45. And holy crap, it came alive. No matter how bad my technique, accuracy remained pretty great. I can casually, with no focus, pull the trigger, and groups are damn consistent. Not super-tight, but always centered on the bulls-eye. I finally understand the stuff about watching the front sight rise. In something not all that far from mag-dumping rapid fire, I can watch the front sight kick up ever so slightly, and then immediately regain my initial sight picture.

...it's a good gun.

Is the muzzle flip less than the Shadow or Tanfo ?

...it's a good gun.

Noticeably so, but don't take my word for it. If DVC Range is in your travels, take one of there's out for a test drive.

...it's a good gun.

Noticeably so, but don't take my word for it. If DVC Range is in your travels, take one of there's out for a test drive.

I would love to do that but i live about a 5 hour drive from DVC.....and at this time of year it might take 8 hours to get over the mountain passes and I would need a new windshield and paint job when I got back home :(

Edited by hal1955

I will admit that buying the X-Cal blind is a bit of a gamble, as I simply do not see being able to sell it locally (in the US, in my particular state (TN), face to face sales without paperwork are completely legal, so it's a BIG buy/sell/trade state). Would almost surely have to list it in Gunbroker or something to get most of the money out of it (which means FFL'ing it to another state. Luckily, I have no desire to sell it. :)

I believe I mentioned that I actually bought two of the mk7 P1's. One has been flawless for thousands of rounds; the other has maybe 200 rounds down it and is up for sale in 'like new' condition: I can't seem to get $350 (what I eventually settled on as a bottom dollar) for it. It's absurdly superior to anything else available for that price...and it won't sell. I've had maybe three people who have actually heard of GP email me about it, but none are within a reasonable driving distance. And, I mean, this is talking about something at a price that you would think might inspire curiosity. I know when I see interesting/rare/new-to-me stuff for low prices, I tend to look into it a bit. An unknown gun with a $900 price tag? Yeah, not happening. :(

Yes, being a GP fan is frustrating. Nobody wants to listen. They don't want to believe you.

You buy one, you are married with it. This is my 3rd. The GP6 was traded by STI. The K100 I will keep as a home defense pistol. I know I can't sell it. Not even going to try.

The fact that nobody knows about the XCal gives you an advantage, really. I personally don't understand why Glocks are so popular. In the early 90s, they were ground breaking. Without parts, tinkering and experimentation you don't have a gun that is ready to race. Yet, no issue reselling it. Boggles the mind, but that's how it is.

Building brand recognition takes decades. Glock has Die Hard to thank for a huge amount of (bizarre) publicity. Grand Power may remain a smallish brand forever but this may be a good thing, in a way.

We will see... In the meantime, I understand your hesitation. If you stop in Phoenix, message me. I'll be happy to help.

By the way, when the owner of the shop who ordered it for me saw the XCal, he decided to order one for himself. That's how much he was impressed.

I am just going to shoot it and show brochures to whoever wants to know what the bizarre gun I am shooting is. That's all I can do. Convince people by shooting it.

When I started shooting in 1989, Glocks were viewed with some suspicion still in Canada. CZ 75's were dirt cheap as we had a glut of contract over-run guns on the market. People were somewhat luke warm about them. SIG was barely known and most folks that had them bought them because they were rebadged as Brownings.

Times change. Good designs and good companies eventually get recognition.

You can't even *really* buy one of these yet in the US and they aren't USPSA Production legal yet - those two things have to happen before it could possibly get popular.

Question - does the XCaliber have the "click" in single action before the break point that the K100 has/had?

That's the half cocked position. Nope.

And yes, you can buy it in the US, since I now have one.

And no, not production legal yet. Still it is fun to shoot limited minor. I ranked 4th out of 16 shooters in that division at a match Tuesday night. Ok, the first guy was an A class, not a big match ? but it was the first time I really shot it in a match. #1 comment? That it really does not flip much.

Edited by NicVerAZ

They are IPSC approved which is stricter than US guidelines. I would assume no issues and will be approved shortly.

USPSA NROI will be examining them in person at SHOT in three weeks and already have the paperwork for them. Troy is not anticipating any problems. They should be on the list before the end of January. :)

That's the half cocked position. Nope.

And yes, you can buy it in the US, since I now have one.

And no, not production legal yet. Still it is fun to shoot limited minor. I ranked 4th out of 16 shooters in that division at a match Tuesday night. Ok, the first guy was an A class, not a big match but it was the first time I really shot it in a match. #1 comment? That it really does not flip much.

The "click" I have with my K100 is not the half cock position. The hammer is already fully cocked and, when I start the SA pull, the click is actually the trigger bar popping up before the break point. I was told by Jaroslav that "The clicking issue isnot issue. Its a character of GP Trigger group...."

The X-Cal does the same thing. It's a little less pronounced than the old K100/P1; it happens as soon as you touch the trigger (before take-up) and seems quieter.

But in either gun's case, you don't feel it when you're shooting. The click only happens when the hammer has been manually cocked.

If you are eager, get your local dealer to call Amchar Wholesale

Davidsons

Ellett Brothers

Jerrys Sport Center

Lipseys

Midwest Gun Exchange

Sports South

Williams Shooters Supply

These guys are all getting guns from this order and can always add based on demand. If your favourite distributor isn't listed, bug them anyway as there is always room for more. The buyers are just getting there feet wet with this line so added feedback from the retailers is a good thing.

Davidsons and Amchar are out of stock. The rest still have some.