Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Akai vs. Infinity (svi)

jstagn

Looking at Akai with a stainless grip and Infinity 40 cal limited 2011 gun. Have read about Akai 'stroker' guns and Infinity fit and finish. Anyone had a chance to shoot both makes? Understand there is a trigger 'feel' difference. Also considering a sight tracker/hybrid barrel option... Cost is not an issue between the two. You can PM me if you desire. Thanks...

Edited by jstagn

like OG said. one is a custom gun builder who chooses parts, customises parts and yes does make some custom parts (compensator etc). The other is a custom gun MANUFACTURER who makes their own slides, grips, frames. You are certainly buying a premium product with SVI and is money is not entering into your choice then they would be probably the way to go. having said that shay seems to do some very high quality work and I would like my next open gun to be one of his. :)

That video has absolutely nothing to do with the OP post. Waste of time. Shay builds awesome guns, really. But Infinity guns are in a class by themselves. StraightUp_OG has it right.

I have nothing against Shay. Just wanted to show him that because he mentioned it on his post.

That video has absolutely nothing to do with the OP post. Waste of time. Shay builds awesome guns, really. But Infinity guns are in a class by themselves. StraightUp_OG has it right.

I have nothing against Shay. Just wanted to show him that because he mentioned it on his post.

He does offer any evidence, merely states "it's different, but its the same".

What about after the sale service? How does each treat their customer after the cash is handed over? Any gun functioning problems with either manufacturer? PM is ok if you desire...

Both are excellent. Would be helpful to know where you are because you would need to see one of these guns before buying. At an sectional or Area match. It will be a year wait for an Infinity and 6-12 months for an Akai. Sometimes you get lucky and somebody has to stop with a build or a used gun comes up, but it is still significant waiting time. Thats why Glocks and stuff are so popular!

What about after the sale service? How does each treat their customer after the cash is handed over? Any gun functioning problems with either manufacturer? PM is ok if you desire...

I have an SVI and a gun built by Shay, and another Akai on order.

I shot my SVI back to back against a nearly-identical Akai with the same ammo. Both were 5.4" Hybrids with butler cuts and steel grips. The Akai gun was stroked, and it was noticeably flatter. I would put zero stock in the analysis of someone who has never even shot a stroked gun, like in the video above. I would put more stock in the performance of people who shoot stroked guns, like Lesgar, Shane, etc.

Both will have superb after-sale support. I've driven my SVI out to the factory a couple of times to have some mods made (thumb shield, eg), and Brandon and Tiffany are class acts who work extremely hard and produce excellent pistols. Shay has helped me with some magazines that needed tuning, and he was quick, thorough, and a pleasure to deal with.

If money is truly no object then do what I did - order one of each and let one of them be your back up gun. Either way I strongly, strongly doubt you will be sorry with your purchase decision.

The triggers were the same SVI style flat tri-glide triggers. I'm sure they could each be set up to perform any way you would want.

The Akai gun had a Phoenix Trinity aggressive texture steel grip, and the SVI gun had an aggressive micropockets steel grip. They're both good as far as I'm concerned.

I know certain inconsequential gun builders will deride what Shay and SVI do, but that's kind of like me making fun of Blake's hair cut because I can't beat him at a match. Anyone will tell you that SVI makes excellent guns, and anyone will notice how many elite GMs choose to use Shay's guns to win big matches. Watch how long either of them will stay on the classifieds when they are for sale. Those things should tell you all you need to know.

Get a SV. Sandy has been designing his parts for a long time and there are little things in there that the untrained eye will not notice, but makes a difference. Customer service is second to none, Brandon is great to work with. The part mentioned in other post about making your parts in house means more than you can imagine. I have shot Chris Tilley's guns and with thousands, and I do mean thousands of rounds through them, they still shoot great. I have owned SV pistols myself and they were tack drivers and that was back when SV was great guns and now SV makes even better, more advanced guns. Sandy never stops designing. I can't help but wonder what the next thing that Sandy will design for the sport.

So the question that always runs through my head in these types of discussions is if akai, topsmith2, topsmith3, (not in any order) etc started with all SVI parts would the gun built be an SVI? Or "just" another custom?