Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New dot sight- Which one?

Ed Robinson

OK. I feel like it's time for a new sight. Running a old blue Aimpoint Comp now with the big dot, 10moa I think.

The dot size is just too big so I'm looking for a new sight with a smaller dot. Prob 2 or 3 moa.

I've looked at the Aimpoint PRO and Comp C3. They look like the same sight to me, for all practical purposes.

Have considered the Pride Fowler and the Ultradot. Never used the Pride. I remember Kevin telling me he had probs with it holding zero or something.

Played with a Ultradot, don't really like the small tube. Looked at the Burris SpeedDot 135. Has 35mm tube. Anybody have any experience with it?

Others to consider?

I'm leaning toward one of the Aimpoints right now but wanted to hear from yall.

Thanks

Ed

I have a Aimpoint CompML3 with 2moa dot. I like it. It's heavy, and has unneeded night vision settings. The PRO or CompC3 would be good also.

I used to have the Ultradot Match dot. I liked it, but wish it could have been bright like the aimpoint.. The crisp round dot on the matchdot is really nice. If I could get a scope with aimpoint brightness and battery life, and matchdot like crisp round dot (instead of a star like Aimpoint).. that would be my ideal scope.

I think the newer Ultradot models may be brighter than the one I had.

Agreed DW- My dot in my old Aimpoint looks like cluster of grapes. I thought it was my astigmatism. Have a buddy with CompM4 on his AR, dot looks alot better than mine. Hoping the C3 or PRO have crisper dot.

I played with a Match Dot on a Volq/ruger MKIII abt 2 weeks ago. Dot looked great. Felt like the small tube might give me fits.

I have an Aimpoint C3, 4 moa but if I needed to buy another sight I would get the Matchdot 2,4,6,8 moa. It's more than 2 oz. lighter and about half the price or the Aimpoint. I like the 4 moa dot but being able to switch to a 2 moa for the 50 yrd line would really be nice.

Edited by toothguy

UltraDot has a new Matchdot II that has the 2468 size dots and a target turret on the elevation so you can quickly and repeatably move up and down as you go through the course. I wish they had a bigger tube though.

Edit to add - I have trouble getting on target quickly with the small diameter scopes. I am currently using old Tasco ProPoint 5+ ones that are 45mm OD and 36mm ID.

I can always find the dot quickly in them and see the next target I'm going to as well. These have 4,8,12 and 16 moa dots. Field of view 82 ft. @ 100 yds.

Edited by Toolguy

Warren, I've looked at that matchdot ii heavily today. Just can't pull the trigger on the smaller tube. Wish I could mount one and test drive it before buying one then regretting it.

Anybody got a spare or old one they'd loan?

Got the Burris in. Looks like a well built sight. Nice sharp dot. Not as bright on high as the aimpoint but looks plenty bright still. The lenses have a bit of a blue hue but not too bad. Will post some pics and review after mounting it and zeroing.

Hello Ed.

I have just tried to find the scope you guys are talking about, but the only one I see is the XTS speed dot, but it says it's a 30mm tube, I must be looking in the wrong place on there web page.

Could you help me please.

As Kevin says, I have an Astigmatism in my left master eye, and the only sights I can us that don't give me the 2/3rd's snowman are 2 old Holo sights I use. but they after almost 20 years of use are not reliable anymore. I might be able to have the serviced, but they are very heavy.

Thanks

Russell

Got the burris mounted and zeroed yesterday. Everything seems ok for now. Shooting nice tiny groups at 25. Didn't get a chance to check my 50 zero. Storm blew in. Like I said earlier, it seems like a well built sight, dot is pretty sharp. Only thing I don't like is the blue tint of the glass. Looks just like the cheap eBay Cmore knockoff I put on my sons 22 mk1. Wish burris had a different coating or whatever it is. Guess I'll get used to that.

It looks like a good scope at a good price. How does the field of view compare to the Aimpoint? (tunnel effect or whatever it's called). Does the dot appear to be a 3 moa?, the dot size standards seem to vary by manufacturer. Thanks.

Tooth- since the tube length is almost the same as the aimpoint and the aimpoint tube steps down to 30mm then back up, sight thru appears to be nearly identical. The burris tube is 35mm from end to end There is no appreciable tunnel effect, no more than the aimpoint anyway.

The dot may actually be closer to 5 min, although my astigmatism may be a contributing factor to that. I drew a 1.5" circle on a uspsa tombstone to sight in with. At 25 yds, the dot covers most of the circle I drew which would equate to 5-6 moa. Remember I do get a little starburst effect of the dot which may account for the size appearing larger than it is.

All in all it seems like it will work perfectly for the job at hand. Time will tell. Have abt 3 wks before next match to wring it out.

Edited by Ed Robinson

Ed, I have a Burris XTS-135 Speed Dot it has a 5 moa dot, 30 mm tube. I had it before the Aimpoint and now keep it for a backup. It has not given me any problems I just thought it would be better to have the longer battery life, but at more than twice the price that's a lot of batteries.

Ed, I have a Burris XTS-135 Speed Dot it has a 5 moa dot, 30 mm tube. I had it before the Aimpoint and now keep it for a backup. It has not given me any problems I just thought it would be better to have the longer battery life, but at more than twice the price that's a lot of batteries.

Aimpoint makes great products. I am in no way knocking them. I just cant justify the cost when there are other sights that will do the same job for less money.

I came real close to ordering the PRO to keep the same profile and mount as my old CompXD. Battery life is great but at $416.00 I could not justify it.

I DO have other hobbies that need feeding! My Hydra Sports is missing me, and she's thirsty! 2 mpg at cruise.

Thank you Ed.

May I ask which eye has the Astigmatism, for me it's my master eye and that's my shooting eye even though I always have both eyes open.

For what ever reason the old style Holo Sights I have work great, just go to see if they can be serviced.

But if found the web page you quoted and its there.

Will you be at the matches in Bedford in 3 weeks?

Thank you again

Russell