Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carbon Fiber Hand guards pros -cons?

Longshot83

I am looking at replacing my 15.5" JP hand guard with a carbon fiber one, looking mainly at the Lancer carbon fiber hand guards. For those that have used them what do you think? Pros? Cons? I want to remove a little weight from the front of the rifle and also it will be nice on some of the higher round count stages having the hand guard not get so hot.

How stable are they (flex, against a barricade, etc.)? Are they durable? Since the carbon is so smooth do they offer enough grip?

For the Lancer round or octagonal? I am leaning towards round but the octagonal one looks pretty cool and I like the QD points built into the receiver extension.

Using the search on here I really only found a few guys say they have held up for one to two seasons and they like them, not much more information than that.

Thank you

I prefer the Octagonal to round for better grip and the flats for barricades.

I know Mark from Carbon Arms has written some very interesting things about cutting carbon fiber and the dangers associated with it. Hopefully he will chime in here. It has given me pause about using Lancer or any other slotted Carbon Fiber

I have found that you can get lighter than the Lancer. Even the Noveske keymod is lighter than the lancer. at 11.6 v. 14.5 oz

The Lancer from Ranier is extremely nice but the extension adds all of the weight to it. The weight does sit right up on the receiver so it still balances nice. I have the octagon tube on mine and really like it. Each person is a bit different though. I have a Samson evolution on my other rifle and there really is no discernible difference in weight between the two.

I'll not repeat it in depth, but slotting Carbon Fiber is just a bad idea all-around. The materials strength is defeated and there are very real dangers to exposed raw Carbon fiber edges. I think if you search, you will find the threads.

The Feathers are the strongest on the market and actually flex less than most barrels with pressure on them. We have been making them for 4 years and we have never seen one of ours broken, but we have replaced several of other brands that were delaminated and or broken. While our standard Feather has a gloss finish, the fabric does provide a little texture. However, I wanted more and did not want grip tape. We now offer two levels of girt epoxy on the surface, the most aggressive is very grippy, even soaking wet. You can also get colors...red, blue, green, purple, orange...dark or light. I do believe they are the best CF handguard available. Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions.

Mark

What options are there for mounting a sling or bipod to the carbon arms handgaurd?

Thank you.

We can drill holes pretty much anywhere. I have been using the Nordic QD sling cup made for 2" OD forearms and the Nordic 3" rails, also made for the 2" OD forearms. Sling studs can also be mounted directly with a hole.

We put a plastic plug in the holes, so you can just pop that out and put in the stud or a rail. For bi-pods, better to mount a rail.

I bought a Lancer (octagon style)a few months ago for a new rifle build. This is what I've learned thus far:

Pros: light weight

does provide a good grip despite its smooth finish

Does not have noticeable flex

So far has held up to one 3 gun match and tough practice sessions with no sign of wear

Cons: The attachment requires Loctite to hold it in place and does not have any screws or locking rings. The hand guard is attached by screws like a JP and some other brands.

It does look and feel good, but for the price does not provide significant advantages over other brands.

I have only held the Lancer and AP handguards. I personally like them. The weight of my Lancer is the same as the MI handguard I took off, but it shifted all the weight to the end of the upper receiver which to me feels better. I have not had any issues with flex and it is held up to a lot of abuse from me this season. I like the octagonal profile of mine, and I have never had an issue with grip on it. My hands sweat a lot at matches and I have never had a problem holding on to it.

• 4 weeks later...

I run the AP Customs keymod carbon guard and love it! I ended up picking this one up because you can order it in 17" length..which is perfect if you're running a longer barrel like I am. it comes in really handy when shooting prone or bracing on any structure..it just gives me more options for shooting position that a shorter barrel would. the keymod is nice too because it was a nice clean simple way to attach a sling for some of the local matches.

if you go to shooters source you can see it there..he sells them. it's identical to the Lancer product...so they both must source the carbon tube from the same manufacturer. I like the octagonal shape..just feels good in the hand and allows me to feel the 'bottom" of the guard. and like I said..that extended length was the selling point for me...not many companies make a 17" carbon guard and it fits the 18.5" barrel perfect!

Edited by jriggs

I have the Carbon Arms in silver (aluminum powder is bonded to the outermost carbon fiber layer, then clear coated, I think) and it's awesome. No gluing and you can drill a hole or two using a 1/4" diamond bit anywhere for sling mounts, short rail sections, etc. It's the lightest handguard out there.

I could care less about a fraction of an ounce....the part need to be reliable and work as intended..weight is secondary.

that being said...I have not had a chance to see one of mark's guards up close but I'm sure they're sweet as hell..as are all his other products!

I have one of the original Carbon Arms tubes that fit the JP nut. I love mine, even drilled a couple of holes with a regular drill after wetting the surface so I didn't get any fumes. The tube is very light weight and very stiff!

Doug

Mark

What options are there for mounting a sling or bipod to the carbon arms handgaurd?

Thank you.

We can drill holes pretty much anywhere. I have been using the Nordic QD sling cup made for 2" OD forearms and the Nordic 3" rails, also made for the 2" OD forearms. Sling studs can also be mounted directly with a hole.

We put a plastic plug in the holes, so you can just pop that out and put in the stud or a rail. For bi-pods, better to mount a rail.

Can you post a link to the 3" rails you use to install a front sight please.

Mark

Thank you.

http://nordiccomp.com/retail/shop/ar-15-10/picatinny-rail-for-nordic-components-nc1-style-hand-guards/

Mark

Thank you.

http://nordiccomp.com/retail/shop/ar-15-10/picatinny-rail-for-nordic-components-nc1-style-hand-guards/

Thanks!