Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nordic extension on Versamax coming loose

Nealio

I put Loctite on it, and I have the Nordic clamp, but every time I take my Versamax sporter (with Nordic +12 tube) out the tube is loose by the end of the session. And I'm not even dumping it in a barrel or anything, just shooting. The Nordic nut is really sloppy when it threads onto the factory tube, is that normal? After maybe 700 rounds the threads on the Nordic nut are looking like they are partially stripped.

Edited by Nealio

I have a Nordic extension on a carbon arms tube and just make the habit of tightening the nut every time before I shoot a stage, practice run, etc... It just works loose.

DO NOT put Loctite on your shotgun extension. Turn till the extension bottoms out, then loosen a quarter to half turn. This will allow the mag clamp to move the tube relative to the barrel, maintaining POI. Having the extension tight may result in a cocked extension, meaning the clamp will pull the barrel relative to the mag tube, throwing off POI.

The problem is the smooth finish on the inside of the clamp and the outside of the extension. You want to increase the friction between these two interfaces, to prevent the extension from spinning under recoil.

There are a couple of ways to do this.

(1) Wrap some electrical tape around the tube where the clamp will contact it.

(2) Put electrical tape on the inside of the clamp where it contacts the extension (much neater this way). Can also do the same thing with a thin coat of epoxy (don't forget to use release agent on the extension!).

Mick

It ain't the nut, it is the threads of the stock tube. Would not suggest locktite unless you want to put it on the connection between the distal extension and the nut.

Ok, if it ain't the nut but the factory tube threads..... why do I have the same issue on two guns with CA tubes?

It ain't the nut, it is the threads of the stock tube. Would not suggest locktite unless you want to put it on the connection between the distal extension and the nut.

Ok, if it ain't the nut but the factory tube threads..... why do I have the same issue on two guns with CA tubes?

If the CA stainless tube is locktited into properly cleaned receiver threads and the barrel nuts are tightened, they won't loosen.

I don't know about the threads stripping, I've never experienced that problem. As far as the extension loosening, that's normal in my opinion, if you're not using a barrel clamp (I'm not). My gun has the CA tube and a Nordic +4 screwed on to that. Nothing is Loctited, and the Nordic tube does loosen up with normal use. I've never seen this as cause for concern, I just check the extension and my choke tube before every stage.

If the CA stainless tube is locktited into properly cleaned receiver threads and the barrel nuts are tightened, they won't loosen.

I'll tell this to my guns so they'll behave like they're supposed to. :)

I don't know about the threads stripping, I've never experienced that problem. As far as the extension loosening, that's normal in my opinion, if you're not using a barrel clamp (I'm not). My gun has the CA tube and a Nordic +4 screwed on to that. Nothing is Loctited, and the Nordic tube does loosen up with normal use. I've never seen this as cause for concern, I just check the extension and my choke tube before every stage.

If it's Remington threads.......they'll strip or are prone to stripping. Been RO'ing 3 gun for years.....every time I've seen a tube launch.....it's been a Remington. Nordic, Tac-Star, Choate, Briley.....it's not the tube, it' the factory threads.

Too short, too shallow.

And when they designed the VersaMax.....they had the chance to change it......but they decided to keep the same pattern that they've had on the 870, 110, 11-87, etc.

If you can do a clamp.....use it, if not......follow Mark's advice, well, follow his advice anyways.....and just keep checking to make sure it's tight.

Tim

PS.....smart move going with Nova threads, Mark!!

Edited by TRUBL

I agree it seems like the threads are horribly crappy on the factory tube, plus the Nordic nut only grabs 3 threads. With the forend off the nut slops around so much I'm surprised it even stays on. Can I modify the forend to let the nut go on farther or is the best solution to get the Carbon Arms SS base tube to replace the factory one?

Can I modify the forend to let the nut go on farther or is the best solution to get the Carbon Arms SS base tube to replace the factory one?

We tried that and it just makes the material of the handguard too thin creating other problems.

We sell both a 4+ to just replace the factory tube as well as the 8+ that allows you to also get rid of the clamps. We used a better thread pattern where the nut attaches to the tube which is really the strength and reliability addition.

As for the extensions in the end of the Nordic nut, yes, those can come loose...good to just check them before you shoot, or primer and loctite the extension to the nut, but not to the tube installed into the receiver.