Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To those that use something other than Dillon - are you happy?

The Rock Chucker was delivered and shell holders slip right in so I called RCBS again and they are sending a new ram. Ordered a micro ultra mount from Inline Fabrications and it was delivered today. The bench I am mounting it on is about 7 inches higher than the bench my Dillon's are mounted on so didn't think the regular mount would work. The bench has molding on the front which makes it not possible to just mount directly to the bench. Hopefully, this will work. I don't really need two single stage presses, but if I get the Partner to work and can dedicate it to bullet pulling.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mounted the Rock Chucker today using the Inline micro mount. Was not able to mount it far enough back to use through bolts on all 4 mounting holes. Had to use lag bolts on the front two mounting holes of the Inline mount. Hope it holds okay. I still think it is better than if I only used the two mounting holes on the press itself and had to use lag bolts (which I would have had to do). Time will tell I guess.

The only think I don't like about my LNL AP is changing calibers (9mm, .40, .223) it is had removable tool heads like a 550b it would be perfect.

Moving from 9mm to .223 is a breeze; what's the issue?

I'd be fine if the entire head swapped out as well, but I'm just not seeing any inconvenience, other than having a second powder measure (one for rifle/.223 and one for pistol/9mm). Both of these are small primers, so I can swap over within a few minutes...(no primer shuttle/ram swap from small <--> large primers)

?

• 4 weeks later...

I have used a Lee 1000 for nearly 20 years. Good press.

I bought a Dillon 550 last week. Awesome press.

Both presses require undivided attention to detail and cleanliness.

I have no reason not to keep and use the Lee along side the Dillon.

Edited by BBM3

Have the LNL progressive and single stage and an ammomaster. Only thing I would change in hindsight is get a rock chucker or other non quick change single stage. The quick change bushings add up when you have a bunch of calibers to reload.

• 10 months later...

I'm not the handiest guy (I know computers, not loaders), so when I started reloading a year ago, I bought the loader that made the most sense to me -- the Lee Classic Turret. Only one thing is happening at a time, and the whole shebang was right at $300.

16,000 rounds of 9mm later it's been great; I don't make ammo any faster than 225 rounds per hour (a bit of a problem when I'm shooting a lot), but I was productive on it right away, haven't had any real hiccups, and the quality of the ammo has been excellent.

Even the people who move up to a high-zoot progressive seem to leave their Lee turret press set up for the ammo they load less frequently (changing from one caliber to another really is a trivial job).

• 2 weeks later...

Well in post 46 I stated I wouldn't get rid of my 550b, I did for a XL650 with case feeder, what a difference that case feeder made, now saving for a mr bullet feeder. I wasted my money on a mini mr bullet feeder, still have to load one at a time, dust collector now.

Before retirement, I was Tool and Die Maker, so I know my way around mechanical things. I had two Lee Pro 1000's and will state they worked. However, every time I used them, I had to dink with adjusting something or fixing something. Every time. The straw that broke this camel's back was when the powder measure hung up and (unknown to me) loaded half a dozen rounds of 9mm in a run of 300 with no powder. Luckily, I was shooting the gun when I encountered the first one. The primer was enough to stick the bullet in the barrel. A less knowledgeable or careful person may have tried another round - with disastrous affect. I got rid of both, the Lee's, warning the people who got them of the potential problem and bought a 650xl. Had the LnL been available then, I would have looked at it too, but in reading some of the issues people have had, I'm not sorry I bought the 650xl. And while it hasn't been 100% trouble free, I had more problems with the Lee's in one reloading session than the Dillon in over 20 years. Of the two Lee's, the 38/357 gave me the most grief, outside of the no powder 9mm episode. I had shell feeding problems, primer problems (no Federals either) and powder measure problems. A primer going off in a closed room is surprisingly loud. As a side note, the Lee Load Master had been introduced, and looked interesting, but the bad taste I had from the Pro 1000's wouldn't let me even consider it.

Reloading presses are mechanical, just like a car, and as such, you'll find good ones and bad ones in every brand. The key is to go with the brand that has the fewest lemons. For me, that was Dillon.

I've got three Pro 1Ks. 9mm, .45ACP and .223. First thing I did was disassemble them and remove all vestiges of priming equipment from them. I prime with Lee Ergo primes.

They work quite well for the amount of shooting that I presently do. If I were shooting competition presently I'd go for 650s or 1050s but they would be total overkill for the amount I'm currently shooting.

At the price they sell for from FS or Titan it's silly to not have a press for each caliber and not have to waste time and effort changing calibers on presses.

My Lee LoadMaster just keeps churning out ammo. I hear a lot about how bad they are, but mine works just fine.

+1. If you understand how it works and how to use it it really churns out good ammo at a great value.

That being said I would like to have a S1050, xl650, or some other premium press for those long ammo runs.

I have the LNL. Been using it for over 2 years. 9mm, .40, and .45. When I first bought it, I used it like a single stage, just loading one round at a time.

It gave me insight on what was really going on, and it wasn't that slow. I still use it that way from time to time.

The bushings are pricey, so buy in bulk. You WILL use them at some point in time. Same thing with the die lock rings.

I have many different makes of lock rings, and I'd say that the Hornady ones are the best.

Watch the set up videos on YouTube. Adjusting the pawls are the key to smooth operation. Once you understand how they time the shell plate, you'll be good to go!

One of my first presses was a lee classic turret which I still own, use and like. I had the LnL with case feeder and bullet feeder for about a year and ended up selling it for a 650. A much better designed press in my opinion. It all comes down to your budget and needs. There is the right press for any of those categories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Not much love out there for RCBS... Have the Piggyback set up for .45, the Ammomaster does 9mm and the Rock Chucker and Hollywood for rifle. Each has it's learning curve but once set up, are tremendous presses. I have also had excellent customer service from RCBS. Need a replacement part, just call and it's in the mail.

I started and stuck with my LNL. A friend has a 1050 with a MBF and whIle it truly is amazing, I cannot justify changing from the Hornady.

I will say this though - if I ever do get a Dillon, I will DEFINITELY use a hornady powder measure. It is so simple and accurate. My buddy avoids adjusting the Dillon measure because it is such a pain. I can set and check my powder charge from scratch in about 2 minutes and that is with checking a 10x drop twice. It has never needed to be adjusted during a loading session and I have yet to find a powder that it will not throw within 0.1g every time