Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice On Going Open?

saibot

Experts-

I was considering shooting Open next season to focus primarily on shot calling during the match and enhancing/speeding up my movement. Plus it just looks like fun!

I want to start out on the 2011 platform and was looking at the STI Truebore. Any advice on the switch? I have NO experience with Open other than messing around with a buddy's Open gun once. Can I compete with a stock STI? Will it be reliable? Or do I have to have it worked on a bunch? Any suggestions on what I may need or want to do to it?

Thanks all!

I would say start off with a stock trubor or build out a glock. The glock will be cheaper but a totally different platform. Yes, you can compete with a stock trubor. Just starting you need to play with several different guns to see what you like. You can then have it rebuilt or buy a new full house build. Either way, it is fun. Good luck.

I bought a TruBor, slicked up by Dawson Precision, and couple years later, another

slicked up from Brazos (they both offer packages where they enhance the guns).

The one from Brazos has always worked perfectly.

The only trouble I've had with it were some mags I got from Dawson.

Once I corrected the mag problems, & had the Dawson gun to a gunsmith,

they both worked well. :cheers:

I went with a Trubor when I started, and it still runs perfect. Lots of opinion on the matter, stock versus a custom build, but I wanted a new gun and didn't want to wait for months. I was shooting mine 3 days after I made the call to order it. I changed the mount to a horizontal and added an Aftec after the stock extractor started losing tension at about 6,000 rounds. Otherwise mine is completely stock, not even a trigger job. I have no issue being competitive against equally classified shooters with custom built 2011's. It doesn't look as pretty as some others but it runs and that's all that counts when the timer beeps.

With that being said, I still want a nice custom 2011 built to my specs, but the Trubor has been a great starter Open gun for me.

Experts-

I was considering shooting Open next season to focus primarily on shot calling during the match and enhancing/speeding up my movement. Plus it just looks like fun!

I want to start out on the 2011 platform and was looking at the STI Truebore. Any advice on the switch? I have NO experience with Open other than messing around with a buddy's Open gun once. Can I compete with a stock STI? Will it be reliable? Or do I have to have it worked on a bunch? Any suggestions on what I may need or want to do to it?

Thanks all!

Don't do it.

Experts-

Thanks all!

You can't go wrong with a stock STI Trubor or a STI GrandMaster in 9Major. If your not real handy with 1911/2011, don't by used unless they are bone stock.

Experts-

Thanks all!

Don't do it.

That answer is bit vague don't you think!

Go for it. Get a stock TruBor. That way if for some reason you don't like shooting open you won't have a problem selling it. If you find out you really enjoy open then you can get a true custom built and keep the TruBor for a backup or sell it.

I considered converting my Glock to an Open gun, but it just seems like it gets my halfway there (just my perception I guess) and it's money I could put towards a 2011.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like I'll probably shoot for the Trubore if I can swing it. Any common parts I should have in my rangebag for it?

Thanks again!

Good luck with your Open experiment.

My experience is that Open will test your patience. Be prepared to spend a lot of your time and money keeping an Open rig running.

Open is high risk, high reward.

yes! one thing people often lose sight of in open is that reliability is number 1. there's no point having the most dead accurate gun if it jams once a stage...

I think the trubor is a good choice, or perhaps a match master.

but if it was me buying a new 2011 open gun I'd go to akai custom and get one of their trubor built guns. not much more $$ over a factory STI trubor but has some very nice touches.

they do the trubor model for $3600 with their own slide etc and custom gun level of fit and finish. they say it's comparable to the STI match master, but I think it's a a few bux cheaper and should in theory be a nicer gun.

or for just a few more bucks ($4K) you can get the shaolin model which comes with the akai comp, popple holes etc. basically full custom gun. though I admit at $4K we are getting a fair way from a stock trubor price now...

pics of both below. disclaimer: I have very limited experience with akai guns myself (have played with one open gun) but I've NEVER heard a bad thing about them. they may not be the fanciest out there but they seem to have an excellent reputation for reliability which is so important in open.

optrue.jpg

op1.jpg

I started out with a xdm 9 with a carver customs kit for open and it was great. The gun ran great and had no problems. It is a great way to get into open to see if you like it. If not you can sell the parts. Or go for the TruBor. Either way just go have fun and compete.

I appreciate all of the help! I think I'm going to go for the Trubore next month and see how it goes.

On a side note, I asked a friend who has always steered me in the right direction about bumping up to the GM and he said he likes to get some wear on the slide/frame BEFORE getting it hard chromed. Looking around, I don't see the GM offered in a NON chromed version. Are the differences between the Trubore and the GM that big of a deal?

I don't know... I have a Brazos Edge that was hard chromed when it was new, I don't think I have ever had an issue with it. I would of had my open gun hard chromed if I wasn't to impatient of adding the extra time because there was a pretty good backlog when it was built.

Welcome to Open! I'm not you, but I can't imagine regretting my choice. I'm a troubleshooter and a tinkerer by nature so the "reliability issues" are just part of the game for me. They are a bit finicky with loads and you seem to pick up new issues if you try to shortcut stuff such as brass, or change too many parameters like shoot different bullets too often. If you are not a patient and technical person I can see why you wouldn't be into Open. Once you find the right recipe for all the components almost any gun should run fine. It took me a while and I still throw something at it once in a while that lowers the reliability... but.... High risk, high reward. It's just FUN.

First off I would suggest looking into a used gun to start. There have been some great deals on smith built guns on the forum that have a lot more bang for the buck then a new trubor. For the same price or less you would get a quality gun and usually a mag or two. I am not knocking the trubor, actually owned a modified one for awhile and it was great. But buying used allows you to get into it and see if you like it. If you do you can use it as a backup when you order a full custom down the road or sell for close to what you paid for it.

Second would be to try and put at least a few rounds through one at your club. Most guys will let you shoot a mag after a match to see if is something you really want to do before spending big bucks on a full setup. Talk to them about their experiences with their particular brand to help you out with your decision.

Thanks again everyone for all of the info and the great advice!

I'm somewhat technical and think I can probably keep an Open rig running. I'm really just looking for some of the speed enhancements of my own performance and thing changing to Open will help me work on that. And always being target focused will be a nice change.