Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can I "load 2" with an 870?

I know an 870 is not ideal for competition, but it's what I have and what I want to use for now. I've chamfered the edges of the loading port a little, but still struggle with loading. My best option so far (or so the timer says) is loading three at a time from a 6-shell California Competition Works shellholder.

I've tried the load two thing, but either I'm not doing it right or the 870 makes it difficult. Can anyone tell me if it's me or if I'm trying the impossible? Any tips if it's me?

Yes you can, but it is much easier if you open up the loading port. The receiver is of such a slim profile that the factory dimensions of the port leave a lot to be desired for 2's and quads. It also helps to relieve the front of the trigger plate where it forms the back of the loading port. A gentle dishing of that area helps with alignment.

I will be running my 870 this week for the RM3G. I tried the Nova route but just couldn't get used to how it swings.

I find that it is faster for me to use the load 2 / quad strong handed with this particular shotgun. Don't give up the regular 3 or 4 with the caddies, it still has its place.

Kuan

Edited by ShootfastRunfaster

Yes you can, but it is much easier if you open up the loading port. The receiver is of such a slim profile that the factory dimensions of the port leave a lot to be desired for 2's and quads. It also helps to relieve the front of the trigger plate where it forms the back of the loading port. A gentle dishing of that area helps with alignment.

I will be running my 870 this week for the RM3G. I tried the Nova route but just couldn't get used to how it swings.

I find that it is faster for me to use the load 2 / quad strong handed with this particular shotgun. Don't give up the regular 3 or 4 with the caddies, it still has its place.

Kuan

I don't think anyone in the US has more competition experience with the 870, I would heeds Kuan's advice.

Kuan

Thanks for the advice! Any chance you could post a pic or share some dimensions of the trigger plate dishing?

Pretty sure Nordic tubes set the standard, and I use them on my autoloaders, but I put an inexpensive +6 Choate tube on my son's 870 Express and it works just fine, if a bt heavier.

Edited by BobS761

And as long as I'm perstering you, which magazine tube do you prefer? I have a +2 tube that gives me a 6 shot capacity, but I'd like to find a +4 tube to bring me to 8+1 division capacity.

Thanks,

Matt

Here is a pic of the loading port and the dishing on the trigger plate. Straight from the hotel in Raton.

I run a +6 Nordic extension and it only sticks past my 21" VR barrel by a few inches. I run a 21 only because that is where I cut it a few years ago.

I have a +2 add on from The Shooters Source if I want to expand to a 12 shot tube.

Ill post a full pic tomorrow.

Kuan

post-20753-0-14593700-1407294916_thumb.j

The first cut was the hardest - but WOW what a difference! I still need some practice of course, but I wish I would have done this mod a long time ago. Thanks for the help -

Now it just needs a fresh coat of Gunkote...

870LoadingPort_zps0aea05d2.jpg

The biggest "870 loading" issue that I've seen is the front of the shells running into that big hunk of receiver between the mag tube and the chamber. It is very squared-off. I've found that if you bevel it heavily, it will greatly improve the loading speed of the Wingmaster.

The biggest "870 loading" issue that I've seen is the front of the shells running into that big hunk of receiver between the mag tube and the chamber. It is very squared-off. I've found that if you bevel it heavily, it will greatly improve the loading speed of the Wingmaster.

Thanks - I'd never thought of this before, but now that I've done it I agree completely. It's all Gunkoted now, and I had to chamfer some of the side saddle and mounting plate to match.

DSCF8268_zpsa1357ab2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of area's that I relieved are marked with yellow lines in the pics below. The slide release is too tall and is irritating when you run your hand across it during a load. Also, if during the load you feel the shells stick then look at rounding the leading edges (carefully) of the tube. 870_zpse52b4f34.jpg

How much do you have the spring sticking out of your tube? I have cut mine down alot but dont want to do too much and it not work. I know in my semi-auto its 11-12" past the end of the tube. But in my 870 I have it down to 8" and its still hard as hell to get it to capacity.

I have a Briley tube on mine that gives it 11 in the tube. I would have to take it apart to check the spring. I got it back in the 90s before Nordic or RCI were the ticket. The Briley isn't like the others where you can pop the end off. Briley is a one piece tube so it comes off at the barrel lug.

Craig