Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tumbling 9mm. open

bandit9077

I decided to use my backup gun the other day. I shot the last stage of the match and noticed the hits on the target. This is using the same ammo that I used all match. Both my guns appear to use the same comp,barrel length. There are no marks on the comp indicating a strike. Inspecting afterwards does not appear anything wrong. Could my load be causing this? Barrel manufacture are different. I did not check both guns with this load. The backup is New to me.

I had cracked my comp, causing the exit holes to not be concentric with the bore. I noticed keyholing, then found the comp issue. My smith said he could ream the comp, but I had been looking for an excuse to rebarrel to 9mm anyhow, so I did. As suggested, check the comp to see if it is full of residue and clean out. Check the easy cheap things first.

I am going to tell how my one Open Guns worked with different bullets. Certain bullets looked like a shotgun ammo. I could not understand why . All my Open guns are made by great gunsmiths. When i changed the bullets I was astonished how they were different. I found that this is not rare. Sometime bullets are better than others. You may want to try that.

One of the guys at my club had similar issues. He was using plated bullets. When he switched to jacketed (Montana Gold) the problem went away. Might want to check bullet diameter. Sometimes the plated ones are a bit undersize.

I've had this occur when I was using too much crimp. It was distorting the bullets. Not every one would keyhole, but enough for me to investigate.

The barrels may be different enough that the crimp may cause keyholing in one and not the other.

I'd suggest pulling a few bullets from loaded rounds and measuring the bullet diameter at various locations.