Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Glock is slightly over weight for a big match

Red Ryder

I was told that my Glock 34 is slightly over weight. I have Warren sights, Wolff solid guide rod and spring, grip plug, and grip tape. I was advised to drop the solid guide rod and put in the factory polymer rod to reduce weight. BUT, I don't want the factory spring weight, I want a 13-15 lb spring. If I make the factory guide rod "uncaptured", I need to replace the factory spring with a ISMI spring correct? Or will the wolff spring work too?

You were TOLD it's overweight? Do they know how to weigh a gun for uspsa? You are allowed 2 ounces over published weight. Did you verify? I had all of that and then some on my 34 and I had about an ounce to spare. I suggest you weigh it yourself

Edited by Sarge

You're allowed 28 ounces on a G-34. That's the OEM weight, plus two ounces.

I agree with the others that you being over-weight with the described modifications is highly unlikely. My rig is very similar, except that I'm running a full-length TUNGSTEN guide rod. It weighs a consistent 27.4 oz.

I would weigh it again. I also have those same options and I am legal. You can take the plug out of the oem guide rod and use an ismi spring. The spring dia. Is a little larger and can sometimes come off the rod but once in the gun no harm.

What magazine do you have in it while they weighing and does it have any aftermarket base pad on it? In my experience the ten rounders are a tad bit heavier than the standard 17 ones. Let us know what your scale says. Good luck.

I agree with the others that you being over-weight with the described modifications is highly unlikely. My rig is very similar, except that I'm running a full-length TUNGSTEN guide rod. It weighs a consistent 27.4 oz.

I'm with you here, I'm confused as to where the weight is coming from... I would keep the guide rod, and ditch the plug. Shave off the finger grooves... I dunno, I hope you get it squared away.

I'm with you here, I'm confused as to where the weight is coming from... I would keep the guide rod, and ditch the plug. Shave off the finger grooves... I dunno, I hope you get it squared away.

Can't shave off the finger grooves on a Production gun.

Try cleaning it. Also, use high cap mags - they weigh less than the 10 rounders. Was told this recently (that I was close) as well with a similar setup - once - after that same gun was used at several area and section matches with only a recoil spring change and was within specs each time.

Trust but verify.