Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are you referring to the internal supply or the AC adapter? The adapters that come with the 'books aren't that big, so the Mm's shouldn't be gargantuan. AFA the internal supply... I doubt you could pick out anything in that tiny package. ;)http://www.apple.com/macmini/design.html

It's definitely a whole new ballgame with Desktops.

The tune player is TINY!

The shuffle isn't that big of a deal, IMO. It's more of a bandwagon product than anything else. I'm sure they'll sell well, but it ain't all that innovative (except maybe there's more storage than similar flash-type players).

Well sorta cheap but not really .. I mean it doesnt include a keyboard, mouse, or monitor in that price. Not to mention that once you add those "accessories" which take a lot of desk space, who cares how small the computer itself is?

For $500 you can get Dell Inspirion 1000 Notebook (not from the website but in their paper adds) with the same specs and a better CPU and it already includes the monitor and keyboard. The latest Dell ad I got had a comparable desktop for $249 (without monitor or keyboard). And I'm not even that big of a fan of Dell machines, I'm just using them as an example.

I started my professional CS life on macs, but for the last 10 years I have yet to find a single reason to go back. Its Unix and Windows for me.

Vlad

Are you referring to the internal supply or the AC adapter? The adapters that come with the 'books aren't that big, so the Mm's shouldn't be gargantuan. AFA the internal supply... I doubt you could pick out anything in that tiny package. ;)http://www.apple.com/macmini/design.html

Looks kinda like a laptop - cut in half and stacked - No screen or input device.

Bet it uses a notebook style hard drive - 5400 rpm or less? Did I read it correctly in that no burner in the package?

Looks kinda like a laptop - cut in half and stacked - No screen or input device.

Bet it uses a notebook style hard drive - 5400 rpm or less? Did I read it correctly in that no burner in the package?

it has the combo drive, so burning cds is there, as well as playing dvd's. for $100 more you get the superdrive, so you can then burn dvd's. i'm going to macworld tomorrow, but will keep wallet in pocket, especially since i already bought the new g5 imac and an acog.

Its Unix and Windows for me

OSX is UNIX and that’s why I am on Mac hardware. The OSX GUI on top of UNIX is what it is all about. The hardware has a lot less to do with it than this does. Much more robust than any of the Windows OS varieties. Yeah, the hardware is a little pricier, but the GUI is worth it if you want to get work done without the Linux learning curve and the lack of productivity apps.

I’d like to see OSX ported to the Intel platform. Then you would see some real performance. Imagine Dual Xeon’s in a custom bling bling box running UNIX underneath a better GUI than XP. Yeowza!

--

Regards,

Awesome, I think I can finally upgrade from my 8600! I thought maybe at the price they'd drop FireWire, but it has it and Ethernet. Smart move on not including a monitor like an iMac, because some people are OK with 15" screens and some people want uber-plasma-LCD-flat-cinema screens.

Speaking of MacWorld, I was there one year wearing a "Will Tech Write for Food" sign in my badge holder. It got a lot of attention. But I sure don't miss working a booth.

Edited by Erik Warren

Hopefully it is more durable than the cube. apple doesn't have too good a track record with low noise, low air flow designs. None of the schematics or pics show a fan, so I've got a bad feeling it may be the cube all over again. If it were a slow G5, it would have been interesting. The G4 processor in it is pretty lame performance wise, as are the graphics. The graphics at least are on par with the embedded stuff in similarly priced x86 boxen.

Went to the apple store yesterday to look at machines. Guy suggested we come back in 2 weeks to see the mini. I was wanting a new laptop but got thinking about a desktop again.

Did like the G5 very much though, will probably replace my 333 G3 I mac with one of those.

Ted