Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Handguards and a JP CTR

Nemesis Lead

HI All,

I have a JP CTR that I love. I am told the barrel nut configuration is different on a JP than a "mil-spec" rifle. How does this limit my handguard choices, if at all?

Specifically, I am interested in the following handguards:

1) BCM KMR

2) Seekins SP3R (a bit heavy, but I like the concept)

3) Carbon Arms Feather

Does anyone know if these are "JP compatible?"

Many thanks!

Jay

Carbon Arm Feather once was available in two models, milspec & JP nut. JP version no longer available but I was able to find a lightly used one from a Enos member. 15" = 5 ozs if I remember correctly vs 12.5 for JP.

Yes, the JP barrel nut is different from a milspec barrel nut.

About the only readily-available handguard that works with the JP nut is JP's "other" style, the RC (rapid configuration) handguard. They make a version that uses the original-style barrel nut.

Beyond that... if you want to change handguards, you're looking at changing barrel nuts, too.

Just about any aftermarket hand guard out there has a 'proprietary' barrel nut. JP, DPMS, MWI, Yankee Hill, Noveske, etc. And they pretty much come with the nut and tube.

Sampson (and maybe troy??).....does use a Mil Spec barrel nut and so do a few others.

If you are looking to swap out the hand guard, don't let the barrel nut stop you.....just remove it.

The CTR-02 upper has a mil spec thread and will take most all of the hand guards mentioned above. It will even take the ones that key in on the mil spec upper, except you'll have to remove that feature on the tube and just line up the rails.

To get the nut off......take the tube off, then with an armors wrench, remove the internal barrel nut. To get the outer nut off.....you'll be needing to heat it up with a propane torch....once you see the loctite bubble....it'll come right off

Tim

Edited by TRUBL

It seems that there are many on this forum who have spent a great deal of time studying nuts. I personally have spent far more time studying other things, but I can appreciate the dedication to nuts that is displayed in this thread. And special recognition to TRUBL who even went so far as to tell us how to get our nuts off.