Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a gunsmith to build me a 2011

Go to Pistolsmith Guild. There is a list of guild members; this is a guild in the european sense. Members are invited to submit pistols for review, etc.

Cylinder & Slide has two members. Tripp and Strayer are also members.

That said there are quite of few great builders out there.

Matt Burkett has some very talented folks working there.

I would not be too concerned with finding a local smith to build me something from scratch.

This could go both ways. If there is not a top tier builder within 6-8 hours of you then I would go with a quality builder such as Matt Cheely in Michigan (ccgunworks.com). But if there is a well known smith who knows how to build guns set up for this game then I think it is wise to stick closer to home.

Matt Cheely is probably 6 hours from me and if I had a real emergency before a major match I could call him and drive to his shop and get my gun back in action right away. When my slide cracked at the Ohio State match Matt was there shooting. He took my gun home with him and had it back to me in about 5 days with a new slide. I'm not sure that would have been the case if I had bought from a builder in Texas for example.

I agree, not too concerned about a build too close to home. Tripp built my 2011 years ago and I live in a different state. I've sent my gun back to him once in 7 years for a matter my competent local gunsmith could not figure out when I went full auto. Virgil knew exactly the problem just explaining the issue on the phone.