Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classification system updates

Nimitz

I wonder who they awarded the contract to and how they solicited bids for it? You'd think HQ would put out a new update or at least post something in the weekly email they send out.

If someone was awarded a contract, they should stop using "unpaid volunteers" as an excuse for not getting the work done in a timely fashion.

USPSA E-mail Reply sent to Nimitz......

At the time of that announcement, we had expected to have a new web site built to do the weekly classifications built by April. We experienced some set backs in getting the new site created, and had to essentially start the process over. The good news is that we have a signed contract to create the new site and we hope to have it on line in the next two to three months.

Yikes! I think it would be against forum rules to say what I really think about that response to Nimitz.

It reminds me of someone else who spends a lot of time telling the country about all the great things he is going to do, but never gets around to actually doing any of them.

I wonder who they awarded the contract to and how they solicited bids for it? You'd think HQ would put out a new update or at least post something in the weekly email they send out.

If someone was awarded a contract, they should stop using "unpaid volunteers" as an excuse for not getting the work done in a timely fashion.

Good point. According to the reply that Nimitz received there is a signed contract in place so that means by October we should have a new nifty USPSA web site. I'll believe it when I see it.

Keep in mind, the whole volunteer thing was anecdotal from Radartech up in post #3 or 4 of this thread. Who knows how long ago it was said, or if the person answering even understood the question.

I wish my employer would allow me to officially announce a new feature to be implemented "Soon" to our customers then delay the deployment of that feature for 6+ months with no solid deployment date ever committed to.

What the?........

I guess you have never bought an i-phone, or accu-shadow, or any other modern device..... Everything gets advertised long before it's actually available.

However, I do agree that the communication could be better. i was wondering about exactly this topic today (since by my math I shot a good enough classifier to bump up to A).

hmmmm .... there was a time in the not too distant past .... I think dinosaurs were still roaming through Wyoming ... that companies never released products (or announced that they were ready) until they were actually ready. Now adays, with a society that has to have everything in 5 mins, with an associated attention span to match, we don't care what companies do .... Microsoft releases products they know are not mature because they also know there are 30,000 wanntbe programmers (consumers) who can't wait to help them fix it so they release it early and get thousands of hrs of free labor - brilliant ...

Keep in mind, the whole volunteer thing was anecdotal from Radartech up in post #3 or 4 of this thread. Who knows how long ago it was said, or if the person answering even understood the question.

Just about any time one of the nifty bytes guys open their mouth here on the forum, they remind us that this project is being handled by unpaid volunteers.

• 2 weeks later...

At the time of that announcement, we had expected to have a new web site built to do the weekly classifications built by April. We experienced some set backs in getting the new site created, and had to essentially start the process over. The good news is that we have a signed contract to create the new site and we hope to have it on line in the next two to three months.

Those two or three months have come and gone—anyone heard a new new ETA on the web site and classification system updates?

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone else having problems with classifiers not being scored or scores/classifications being removed? Something is definitely wrong with the system. One month I'm classified, the next month I'm not and classification scores are missing. This has been going on since May. Just curious if others are having this problem. I know several members of our club have been negatively affected.

Folks,

Recently, myself and a few others started a little data mining project of classifications and such...

I posted this on the Area 6 facebook page but here it is for those not on FB.

All the data is from the the classification data files from EZWINSCORE that are publically available on the USPSA website.

Attached are 2 pictures that show 6 months worth of classifier score changes per division and per class.

notice the bumps April for Production and the May for Single stack

and then the following month they go down..

all this came from a spreadsheet review of the data using counting formula's from Excel.. I hand verified the GM and Master in Revolver as a proof of concept to verify the numbers... and used Sort and filter rules as a backup check ..

So the data is good...

ANYWAY--- I wonder if those classification issues were in Single Stack and Production in the months above....

just a thought!

J

post-36520-0-07960100-1408385232_thumb.j

post-36520-0-71249200-1408385240_thumb.j

RadarTech - I just checked the numbers for Limited (where some of my issues are) and this correlates with me being classified and then not classified. If you look at May/June and then July, the numbers go up and then down. A lot of our club members are having problems with Production classifications. If these numbers are correct, I feel like I'm not losing my mind. Thanks for posting.

Can you post a link to where I can find this information on USPSA? I'd like to do a little research myself, so I can maybe help some of our members better understand what might be happening instead of blaming our MD's for the mix-up.

RadarTech - I just checked the numbers for Limited (where some of my issues are) and this correlates with me being classified and then not classified. If you look at May/June and then July, the numbers go up and then down. A lot of our club members are having problems with Production classifications. If these numbers are correct, I feel like I'm not losing my mind. Thanks for posting.

Can you post a link to where I can find this information on USPSA? I'd like to do a little research myself, so I can maybe help some of our members better understand what might be happening instead of blaming our MD's for the mix-up.

most of the data is just the EZWINSCORE classupdate files...

go to club support ezwinscore support and then pull the class files for the month... most MD have these saved for a period of time...

• 3 weeks later...

Those two or three months have come and gone—anyone heard a new new ETA on the web site and classification system updates?

Another month has passed. Anyone heard any updates?

It is on the agenda for the BOD meeting this weekend. It should be covered under the technology project update.

It is on the agenda for the BOD meeting this weekend. It should be covered under the technology project update.

Agenda to discuss the rollout do you suppose? Or how to get the project started?

About a month ago I sent a rather lengthy email to the BOD with some ideas and thoughts and mentioned an update to Kim's state of the org letter.

Phil replied with this about the tech project:

----

In fact, Kim has sent the BOD members a prospectus from an outside source to update USPSA's website, score & classification updating, and back-end user interface. It's a follow-up to her technology update that was delayed due to some key people falling off the project.

---

There was a little more in there..

I put out the idea of a USPSA convention (like the NRA does) and a couple other thoughts.

So there is some kind of action plan in the works... Details? I'm sure we will hear more.

In January, Kim put out her 'State of USPSA' statement to the members which included statement of how classifiers were going to be 'virtually immediate'. In response I pointed out, on the Area 6 website, this was a good idea but it was not going to happen for a while. For my telling the members the truth, I received a threat to shut up or be removed from the BOD from the President. He was reacting to Kim being upset for me telling the truth to the members.

They were supposed to have it done by April 1st with the tech project.

That project failed and was slated for $40k. Now they have to start over. Note the agenda for Sept BOD meeting.

The sad part is instead of revamping everything all at once, they could easily focus on one thing at a time and get somewhere. Classifiers have nothing to do with the website or apps.

Focusing on the classifiers would accomplish so much.

- Improves classifier processing consistency

- Removes the stigma of rigging scores around Nationals dates

- Publishes the 100% Hit Factors

- Standardizes the High Hit Factor formula

- Dramatically reduces workload at HQ

- Might reduce overhead of employees at HQ

Yep, I told them so but instead of listening they threaten me with removal for speaking out.

Almost a year later they still have nothing to show for their actions.