Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA REVOLVER

Bill Nesbitt

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, thanks Ted.

By the way, I just noticed something else. In the new, new rule book it list minimum caliber for ESR as .38 (.357) or larger. Does this eliminate the .38 super and 9X23 that the 8-shot guns could be built around? They both use .356 bullets. I know this is really nitpicky, but is that exactly what HQ is trying to do? This could be really interesting... now the "hot setup" for ESR is not only a gun that doesn't exist yet, but now it's chambered for a round that doesn't exist yet either!! :P Can you say 9mm Makarov Magnum? The Mak uses .364 bullets...

Dan Overcast

Thanks to the efforts of Bill, Joyce, and the countless others behind the scenes that have patiently listened to our comments, complaints, and consternations; I truly believe that the irregularities and imbalances of the SSR and ESR

division(s) have been fixed to a satisfactory and very usable degree.

True to my word, I will continue my “crusade” to raise the SSR and ESR divisions to record setting levels!

Understandably, there will still be some mulling over of the fine points concerning equipment, etc. but all things considered we have a workable rulebook concerning these two divisions. TONS better than original and much better than the first draft of revisions.

Thanks Bill and Joyce, etc. for your efforts .

Shoe, I'm shooting my evil 610 anyway, so I don't really care, I'm not going to go out and buy a new revo just to play Bill's game. What I'm wondering is whether or not the rule was specifically written that way to exclude to .38 Super et al. I mean, the wording requires a revolver of .38 caliber (.357) or greater, not a bullet caliber (diameter). Does that mean bore size? I think it needs to be a little clearer. I know this is all terribly nitpicky, but that seems to be the way things have to be in IDPA these days.

Dan Overcast

In the event it does interest you the 4" will be legal, no way will they go back to the 5".

Has anyone else noticed the method IDPA HQ puts forth of measuring a revolver barrel is "from the front of the cylinder"? I have to wonder if this is a mistake, caused by someone who doesn't understand the classic method of measuring a revolver barrel is from the breechface, not the front of the cylinder. Because if it's not a mistake, what's they're really saying is, "Five-inch barrels are legal again."

the classic method of measuring a revolver barrel is from the breechface, not the front of the cylinder.

<sound of LOUD buzzer>

Duane - That's the classic way of measuring bottomfeeders. From the front of the cylinder, the barrel on my nominally four inch M681 is 4-1/8"; from the breech face, it's 5-7/8". Using your way of measuring, only my two inch M10 would be legal, and my three inch M37 wouldn't be.

Actually a revolver is typically measured from the forcing cone since it has no breechface, per se, and the barrel length is rounded. That's why you end up with a barrel length of 4.12, or 4.22, or some other odd number Then again some folks measure them from the inside of the frame. I'm not absolutely sure what the correct medhod is since it's been a while since I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express

Jerry

Its easy: you pinch a dial calipers from the forcing cone to the crown. Then you round down. So a 4.122" measurement becomes a four-inch barrel. Anyone who tells you that a 4.122" barrel is "over four inches and therefore not allowed" should either be slapped into an insensate state, or hired by the Italian government for firearms regulation.

I can't see S&W changing their CAD-CAM parameters by 0.123" (in this hypothetical measurement example) to accomodate such a pernickety worldview. But then I AM a gunwriter, and I've been confused before.....are there meetings for my condition?

I'm enough of a gamer that I'll shoot either my 681 or my BBQ gun (nickle four inch M57).

Oooooh, pretty! :D

Y'know in all the years I've been shooting IDPA I've only seen one .41 Magnum at a match, one of those Lew Horton snubbies. And the shooter used full-power loads all day. I also got to examine the 1" x 2" strip of skin hanging off the palm of his hand after the experience. (Shudder.) A bit too manly for me.

Duane - It's not too bad. My carry ammo for the 57 is Winchester Silvertips, which are 175s that chrono at 1200 fps from my gun. That's not much over .357 Mag PF. My handloads are either 175 grain LTCs at 1100 fps or 170 JHPs at 1215.

I'm guessing your friend with the hanging skin had replaced his grips with rubber grips that cover the back of the grip frame. I have de-horned Ahrends (wood) grips on mine, no problems.

I used to have one of those Lew Horton .41 Mag 3" 657 snubbies. It came with blocky wood grips, but it was still never really fun to shoot. Ended up trading it for a 3" 610, which was a better deal all around.

High up on the list of things for which I have no earthly use but would love to have anyway is an 8-3/8" barreled Smith & Wesson Model 57. Not that I ever really plan to shoot a deer with a handgun, but if I ever did, this would be the gun IMHO.

I sold a Model 57 8 3/8" to buy an Open gun last year. Blueing was beautiful, except for the end of the barrel, holster wear. It's still sitting in the case at the local gunshop...

I was wondering if the speedloader pouch number 609 & 610 at the following link look like they would be IDPA legal for SSR.

http://www.pwluk.com/Speedloader%20holders.htm

Thanks,

Paul

609 yes, 610 no The single would be good also. I sent last week for a catalog from this company and have been in contact with a member of this list who is in the UK. He advises they are good quality.

Send me a PM or an e mail if you want more info when I get it.

Gary