Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Revolver for IDPA Stock Service Revolver Division

mcb

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 64 as well as a 686. I still use Comp III's with my 686. I have switch from Comp III's to Jet Loaders for the 64. The Jet Loaders are a little smaller in diameter, which helps with cylinder clearance.

You can find Jet Loaders at Power Custom, and Pistoleer.

For Load and Make Ready get HKS speed loaders. Much Cheaper than the Spring Driven ones.

I had Ron Power (Power Custom) dovetail my 64 for a Novak 1911 Fiber Optic Front Sight. I can see it.

You will also probably want to get the Cylinder Chamfered when you get a chance.

Springs, Shims, and some polishing should help the trigger.

Bob R

Another thing that can be done to aid in reloading, is to swap out the thumb piece, assuming an older revolver, to the new style. I originally ground off the bottom of the piece, but that is illegal under IDPA SSR rules.

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_864000020_1.jpg

Edited by RePete

You have some more economical alternatives to the North Mountain carriers.

1g20d5.jpg

This set will be in the mail to REB over on the IDPA Forum in the morning.

My first ones in Ruby Carbon Fiber pattern kydex.

No TecLoc belt loop, but not even close to $35 a pop either.

Ready Tac carriers are also much more budget friendly. And like my Big Creek Carriers they are compact, and close fitting, and can be used for concealed carry.

I do have a couple North Mountain Carriers for a K Frame. They would be a good choice with a dedicated outer Fabric Gun Belt set up. For thread on the leather pants belt I like some other choices better.

Bob R

Big Creek Kydex

Edited by VIPERONE

So here is what I have so far. Got five Comp III speed loaders and one HK. I went with a Safariland 568 holster using the belt loop (Paddle also came with it). I ordered three speed loader holders from Master-Tac. I liked the way he tension-ed the housings and they were cost effective. We'll see what they look like when I get them in a week or so. If I don't like'em I will probably just shell out the bucks for 4wheelgun and kick myself for not going there first. In the mean time I picked up a Safariland 333. Its not IDPA legal, but should let me shoot it at the next club USPSA match if the Master-Tac one's don't get here in time.

m10setup.jpg

Been practicing my reloads with dummy cartridges and it's a lot faster than I feared it would be even doing a weak hand reload like I do with my moonclip revolvers. Open the gun (strong thump on release, weak hand pushing cylinder out) while going somewhat muzzle up. Slap the ejector, ejecting spent cartridges. Then while going muzzle down, grab a speed loader with the weak. Drop the speed loader into the cylinder like a moonclip with the strong hand thumb following it home to release the cartridges. This allows my week hand to slide forward to start closing the cylinder while the strong thumb flicks the speed loader down and out of the way.

Cant wait to shoot it, if work would ever let up and give me some free time.

Now it's time to do yourself a favor and start cutting down those speed loaders.

Yeah, probably going to try that on at least one of the Comp IIIs. Saw an interesting article on 4wheelguns on how to do it. So far in dryfire practice though the stock Comp IIIs are working remarkable well.

• 2 weeks later...

So after being in my gun cabinet for over three weeks I finally got to shoot my Model 10. I had really hoped to shoot it at the range before competing with it given the fix sites and all but that didn't happen. Work has been crazy lately so after getting back from a work trip to Texas Friday I threw it in the bag and shot this weekends USPSA club match in Revolver division. The first time every firing it (sans some dry fire in the basement) was my first attempt at Stage 4 in the match. The stage went well but I got a re-shoot on that stage due to a scoring error (dang tablets and newbie scorers). The re-shooting gods did not cures me this time and I shaved a bit over 2 seconds off the time on my re-shoot and that help me managed a win in Revolver division (1st of 5). I also manage a win in Production with my 627 (1st of 34). Its good to shoot the round gun!

So to round out my IDPA setup I bought three speedloader holders form Master-Tac. They showed up yesterday. For the price ($20) they seem really good. Did some reload practice with them last night and they work great. Hopeful I can get in a IDPA match in the next couple weeks to try them out.

mtfront.jpg

mtbelt.jpg

Man that looks fun! I think I need to look for a revolver!

-Mike

Revolver is the most fun cause we get to reload more than the rest of the divisions. One of the biggest reason I got into USPSA/IDPA was it was one of the only sports I could find that reloading was part of your score.

Might want to slide them back a mite before you go to the IDPA match if they're on the weak hand side...

Yeah I'm guessing I am only going to be able to have one in front of my belt loop and two behind it.

Skip the offending beltloop and put the front loader right at the hipbone. Per the rules you can skip two loops. All good. Then again, I'm not in the habit of feeling for people's hipbones, so your positioning is kinda close.

Then there's the question of whether to wear all three or to wear two on the weak side and stash a third somewhere else (vest or strong side in front of gun). I've been going with three on the weak side, but see merit in dropping one in the strong side vest pocket.

If you have to make a Tac Reload, that speedloader in the strong side vest pocket comes in real handy... stash brass/live loads into vest pocket and come out with the speedloader.

Didn't realize you could start with a speed loader in your vest pocket. I could see where that might be handy. That leads to the most important IDPA equipment question. What vest should I get? I need a good one that is not one of the fleece vest I like to wear in the winter. Would rather not drop $85 for a 5.11 Tactical. What are other good "stylish" IDPA approved vests? How about a good tweed sports jacket with leather patches on the elbows?

I reckon that would depend on how warm it gets in your neck of the woods... Some places you come to a match like that and someone might think you're one of them lawyer fellers...I know there are some good ones around - even some know to shoot wheelguns ...but as a general rule a class of varmint to stay away from...

Go to Walmart, Bass Pro or Cabelas and find a fishing vest that's comfortable. It won't be as tacticool but it'll do.

Some places you come to a match like that and someone might think you're one of them lawyer fellers...I know there are some good ones around - even some know to shoot wheelguns ...but as a general rule a class of varmint to stay away from...

Lawyers don't wear tweed jackets with leather patches on the elbows. That's more of a college professor thing.

But fashion aside, I'm getting tired of bigotry toward my profession (despite the "present company excepted" disclaimer). Most of the lawyers I know are honorable people. And I know a hell of lot more of them than you do, Jerry.

I've never seen anyone finish the reload with speedloaders that way, by pushing the end of the loader with your thumb. Kinda neat.

Not sure if that is a good or bad that you have never seen that before. It just sort of happened naturally for me. I was trying to make my speedloader reload as similar as practical to my moonclip reload. That was the result of practicing in the basement the week before the match.

I agree with Cd, kinda neat reload technique. It appeared to work well for you. Fast and smooth. I sometimes LAMR (make ready for the USPSA types) or help out a sticky loader like that. Just for reference and not as a suggestion, I usually hold the loader with my thumb and index finger on the top skirt. The middle finger rests on the side of the skirt after it leaves the pouch. I just insert, push hard and let go. The loader will just pop off and fall to the ground. The thumb comes in as a backup if needed.

As for vests, my only requirement was two big front pockets of the same size and shape on opposite sides of the body. Tru Spec 24-7 vests have that and more, but they have a divider in the pockets you'll want to cut out. The pockets are big and open enough that they will catch brass from the bottom feeders when I run the timer. The weakside pocket comes in handy for starts where all ammo is on the table. Just drop the loaders in and go. The downside is that it costs the same as the 5.11.

If you don't mind ponying up a little extra I would recommend the Armadillo Concealment. Very stiff material for faster sweeping it out of the way and the wide open mesh back is nice in the summer. I am very happy with mine.

Some places you come to a match like that and someone might think you're one of them lawyer fellers...I know there are some good ones around - even some know to shoot wheelguns ...but as a general rule a class of varmint to stay away from...

Lawyers don't wear tweed jackets with leather patches on the elbows. That's more of a college professor thing.

But fashion aside, I'm getting tired of bigotry toward my profession (despite the "present company excepted" disclaimer). Most of the lawyers I know are honorable people. And I know a hell of lot more of them than you do, Jerry.

The professor look is what I was going to go for, got nothing against the lawyers, I shoot with several lawyers and two law professors.

Another video here. Did not do as good with the model-10 this time, had some rough reloads. The weather was not great, cool and rainy and my feet were pretty soggy after helping setup the match that morning in the rain. Having shot nothing but moonclip feed revolvers for the past year and half I forgot how much it sucks to drop things in the mud that you will need on the next stage. Had to retrieve more than one speedloader from the mud. They are a bugger to get the mud out of. Going to have to look up one of those video on how to take apart a Comp III here pretty quick.

Edited by mcb

I have used both and much prefer the Jetloaders. You may or may not feel the same way. Welcome to revolver Division. The game sure plays differently with a revolver in hand.

Good Luck

Bob

Never had a chance to use a Jetloader. I been shooting moonclip revolvers for a few years. This is my first speedloader fed revolver. I will probably give them a try sometime in the future if I keep shooting this thing. Right now I am just trying to find an accessible IDPA match to shoot it in. I bought it to shoot IDPA and I can't seem to get free when there is a match within driving distance.

Right now I am just trying to find an accessible IDPA match to shoot it in. I bought it to shoot IDPA and I can't seem to get free when there is a match within driving distance.

I did a search on the IDPA website. Looks like Youngstown, Greenport Tactical, South Cuyahoga and North Olmstead may be near you. I don't know how active any of those clubs are.