Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 SC bullet bulge

TheBrick

I finally received my backorder of 38 short colt brass and tried to load some test rounds.

I am using a 38/357 carbide size die in Dillon 550 press.

9mm powder funnel/flare

9mm seat die and

9mm crimp.

After loading a few test rounds with no powder/primer I noticed that the 142 Montana Gold .357 dia bullets left a significant bulge in the exterior of the case causing it not to fit in the case gauge.

I test loaded some moly BBI .356 and they bulge but to a much lesser degree and will fit the case gauge.

.355 bullets just fall through the cylinder forcing cone and would not be accurate.

I have cut down 38 spl. Federal brass (.900) and successfully loaded the 142 MG to a nice accurate load.

Any ideas, comments or suggestions on how to eliminate the 142 bulge in a 38 SC case would be appreciated.

With 358 160 grain bullets I can't load any shorter than 1.170" or I see issues. WIth 357 147 bullets I'm able to go down to 1.150" without issues. With 355 & 356 125 bullets I'm down to as low as 1.120 without issues, but usually stay above 1.130.

Also you can put a heavy taper crimp on them but you can still go too far with jacketed bullets and that can cause a buckling of the case.

I measured the case walls and at about .250 from the case mouth the side walls start to get thicker. If I remember correctly it goes from about .010 to .012 close to that point. And then increases from there down.

With the 358 160 I went as long at 1.200 and never saw any bullet pull either. So I try to keep the base of the bullet at .250 or less from the case mouth. Seems to have plenty of grip still.

Edited by pskys2

I was seating the bullet in the cannelure so the oal was 1.080

I will try the longer oal tomorrow. Hope that works.

Thanks

Yes that's way too deep. The cannelure just can't be used on that, or any that I know of, bullets in the 38 short colt. One reason why most are using a Taper Crimp. I'd try 1.150 for that bullet.

10157321_633895773355868_459602896303126

Oh wait that's not quite right...

1625759_589027957842650_1598810356_n.jpg

Left: Short Colt loaded with 160gr RN IbejiHeads OAL: 1.190 inches. Right is 38 Special with 158gr RN Speer OAL: 1.480

10157321_633895773355868_459602896303126

Oh wait that's not quite right...

1625759_589027957842650_1598810356_n.jpg

Left: Short Colt loaded with 160gr RN IbejiHeads OAL: 1.190 inches. Right is 38 Special with 158gr RN Speer OAL: 1.480

The top photo, this is the only round I've ever loaded that I have had that same issue.

What sizing die are you using? My loads seem to always leave a "ring" around the base about .200" up from the rim. I've tried several different dies and have the same issue with them in my 550. Don't hurt anything but they just don't look as nice as yours. I've also seen that ring on my other 357's using both Magnum and Special brass.

What sizing die are you using? My loads seem to always leave a "ring" around the base about .200" up from the rim.

Try a Lee sizing die. They do a better job of sizing the case down near the rim.

The top photo, this is the only round I've ever loaded that I have had that same issue.

What sizing die are you using? My loads seem to always leave a "ring" around the base about .200" up from the rim. I've tried several different dies and have the same issue with them in my 550. Don't hurt anything but they just don't look as nice as yours. I've also seen that ring on my other 357's using both Magnum and Special brass.

The top one was made when I was not using enough flare in the case. I moved the powder funnel/flare down just a bit more and bullets falling over on the up stroke happens very rarely now.

My setup is on a Dillon 650 XL. I am using all standard Dillon 38/357 shell plate and sizing die in position one, 9mm powder funnel/flare, 9mm seating die and 9mm taper crimp die. The crimp die probably does not even get down to the actual crimp portion of the die since 9mm is a tapper case and the mouth is smaller than 38 Short Colt it seem to just use that long tapper to remove the flare. I have only one or two thousands crimp on my loads.

.38 Short Colt, Starline brass, Montana Gold 142 gr; photo at:

http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/index.php/sfa-photos/j-l-rhodes/miscellaneous/38-short-colt-moonclip-1-3051#joomimg

OAL is ~ 1.082". Can see a slight case bulge ring at the base of the seated bullet. But it is not a problem; this ammo chambers and performs just fine.

Although the bullet has a cannelure, these bullets are taper crimped; the cannelure is just above the case mouth. Again, no problem.

I've not been able to cut/paste text data, include an image, nor use quote/multi quote function in these BE forums.

No problem with other website forums.

Anyone know why?

Edited by varminter22

I've been shooting Xtreme 147s at 1.115-1.120 without any bulging issues.

When I tried the MGs, Carmoney's number was as low as I could go without a bulge, 1.140.

The "Bulge" that you're seeing is the part of the case, that's been under sized, resized to the Dia. of the bullet. The remainder of the case below "The Bulge" should be the same Dia.

As has been said here, "Won't hurt nothing".

Bullet on it's side, Fell over on the way up to be seated, would be my guess. I've seen this first hand.

Thanks everyone,

The oal was the problem.

I went as low as 1.140 as Mike said but that seemed to be the very deepest without a problem.

I decided to go out to 1.155 with a taper crimp which looks like a good compromise with only a slight visual ring at the bullet base. Fits the case gauge easily.

Now to get busy working up a load with Clays.

Thanks again for all the good info.

Peter

What sizing die are you using? My loads seem to always leave a "ring" around the base about .200" up from the rim.

Try a Lee sizing die. They do a better job of sizing the case down near the rim.

Have Dillon, Hornady (std) and Lee all do the same. Doesn't cause any issues just looks funky. The issue is sizing the case down to minimum specs, but can't get it flush and probably never would. Guess I could try not sizing as far down, might do that just to see.

Have Dillon, Hornady (std) and Lee all do the same. Doesn't cause any issues just looks funky. The issue is sizing the case down to minimum specs, but can't get it flush and probably never would. Guess I could try not sizing as far down, might do that just to see.

Next step is to use a Lee "U" (undersize) sizing die.

Or increase the cylinder chamfers :surprise: ! I'm not worried about it, just curious.

Or increase the cylinder chamfers :surprise: ! I'm not worried about it, just curious.

Cylinder chamfer doesn't extend far enough into the chamber unless they're HUGE. I used a Lee "U" die to "de-Glock" .45 acp brass for use in my 625. The "U" sizing die functions kinda like a small base rifle die. Very usefull when you need it.