Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loaded rounds getting stuck in chamber - AR15

Will_M

I'm loading for an AR15. Brass has been trimmed to 1.750". 55gr FMJBT bullet. 2.235" OAL. Stag 3G barrel, Bravo Company Mfg BCG, Palmetto upper receiver.

Loaded rounds keep getting stuck in the chamber and require mortaring the rifle to get the loaded round out. All rounds extracted have a similar helical drag mark on the bullet. It's most visible on the round on the left. All rounds pass the case gauge easily.

9LnrACf.jpg

Any ideas why my reloads keep getting stuck in the chamber?

Edited by Will_M

Make sure the shoulder is properly re-sized. You have to "cam-over" the press arm to make sure the brass gets all the way up into the die.

Are you full length sizing or neck sizing? For semi auto rifles, it is recommended to full length size every time.

Edited by PKT1106

Make sure the shoulder is properly re-sized. You have to "cam-over" the press arm to make sure the brass gets all the way up into the die.

Are you full length sizing or neck sizing? For semi auto rifles, it is recommended to full length size every time.

Full length sizing. Die is adjusted according to Dillon instructions.

I'm concerned about the consistent scratches on the bullet. Is that normal?

I had the same issue with a JP and Dillon 550 until I screwed the sizing die down further to the cam over position as mentioned.

Good luck!

Scratches are normal. Usually from the sharp feed ramp.

I'd bet you aren't setting back the shoulder far enough.

Get a Hornady (uses your own caplipers) or RCBS mic and measure brass fired from your gun. Set your dies to set the shoulders back an average of .003".

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/479704/hornady-lock-n-load-headspace-gage-5-bushing-set-with-comparator?cm_vc=ProductFinding

The case on the left shows a shiny line at the body/shoulder junction. The sizing die needs to be down more. I've had to take material off of the bottom of sizing dies in order for cases to fit in chambers that will take a Go gage properly.

Don't follow Dillon's instructions for this one. I did, and had the same exact problem as you on my 550. If you look at the shoulder of your rounds, see how it has a radius on it? It should be a very "sharp", if you will, line around the neck.

I took my Lee dies and threaded them in until they touched the shell plate. Lowered the plate and threaded the die in another 1/4 turn. Re-sized 1 dummy round, chambered, and it came out like butter.

Scratches are normal. Usually from the sharp feed ramp.

I'd bet you aren't setting back the shoulder far enough.

Get a Hornady (uses your own caplipers) or RCBS mic and measure brass fired from your gun. Set your dies to set the shoulders back an average of .003".

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/479704/hornady-lock-n-load-headspace-gage-5-bushing-set-with-comparator?cm_vc=ProductFinding

What he said X 2 :cheers:

Here is easy way to sort out if it is ammo vs the gun.

Try to separate the upper & lower then pull the BCG out. Insert a loaded round by hand into the chamber. If it feels like it is sticking stop, don't force it in farther. It should not stick and should fall right back out. If it sticks you can easily remove it with a cleaning rod inserted in the muzzle end, and it will easily tap it back out. The cleaning rod technique seems to clear a stuck round much easier than mortaring if you have one available and is less severe on your optic.

If it sticks, try the same test with some factory ammo.

If only the reloads stick take a close look at sizing process. It could be shoulder set back as others mentioned or bullet run out.

The scratches look like they are from the feed ramps and are likely not contributing to the issue.

Edited by Collateral

I've had the same issue before with cam over and just needing a little more bump back on the shoulder of the case. Your chamber may be on the tight side and it's amazing how leaving them just a little long gets them stuck like you were doing it on purpose!

Go just a little shorter until they feed and eject from that chamber

I also had to go cam over with my dillon size/trim die to get it to pass a wilson gauge. I was worried I was setting the shoulder back too far, but have not noticed decreased brass life.