Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

lightened slide VS accuracy

sigsauerfan

Hello: Could be when you had the slide lightened they overheated it since the Glock slide has a Tenifer heat treatment to make it hard. The coating may be causing the problem also. What bullets are you using? Thanks, Eric

. was using 147's before , tried 124's with no improvement at all .

this gun was a tack driver and now it's a pathetic paper weight .
i think the long slots machined on top of the slide might be the culprit. they're very close to the ejection port, and maybe the slide lost some stiffness around that area of the gun, then lock up isn't as tight as it was....i'm brainstorming here, because i'm short of a definitive answer about the dramatic loss in accuracy this gun suffers after the lightening job

had to give a full turn downward on my rear adjustable sight, but the problem is more that the gun now seems to shoot loose .

Something wrong with the sight? If you move the sight back up, the POI changes but does the group size change?

had to give a full turn downward on my rear adjustable sight, but the problem is more that the gun now seems to shoot loose .

Something wrong with the sight? If you move the sight back up, the POI changes but does the group size change?

yes, groupings are horrific . that gun was very accurate before the job, grouping enlarged like crazy , i still haven't pin pointed exactly what happened in the process. it now does nothing tighter than 3 inch groups + random flyers all along. sights are ok .

Have you tried a heavier recoil spring to rule out the possibility of pre-mature unlock?

i already have a 13lbs RS in the gun. i tried a 15lbs ismi,doesn't works with my ipsc loads, plenty of FTE's. the OEM 17lbs is out of question.

i wonder now if i should order a KKM gunsmith fit barrel to cure the problem. i really tried everything i can to find a fix for the loss of accuracy, but nothing pop'ed so far.

If the accuracy comes back with a heavy recoil spring you know that the issue is due to premature unlocking. If that is the root cause of the issue you can improve the lockup tension by using a lighter striker spring with the 13lb recoil spring.

You still didn't answer the question as to when the slide got its "Blue" Coating. Was that done at the same time as the slide cuts? Did the gun produce good groups with the blue coating and no slide lightening? What type of coating is it?

Looking closely at his pictures tells me the slide was refinished before the cuts were made. You can see the bare metal in the pictures.

That only tells you that the coating was done before the cuts. Maybe he wanted the bare metal look on the cuts? This is all an assumption as only the owner of the gun really knows if the gun coating is another variable to look at with regards to the reduction in accuracy.

Looking closely at his pictures tells me the slide was refinished before the cuts were made. You can see the bare metal in the pictures.

That only tells you that the coating was done before the cuts. Maybe he wanted the bare metal look on the cuts? This is all an assumption as only the owner of the gun really knows if the gun coating is another variable to look at with regards to the reduction in accuracy.

yes, the cerakote finish has been done before the cuts. the cool thing is it tightened up the slide-rails and lock-up for a while lol. of course the cerakote hasn't affected accuracy at all, but seems the cuts did.
i followed the advice about trying a OEM (17lbs) recoil spring,and yes accuracy went back to some extend, the groupings are tighter,not what it was before, but noticeable.
however, the now ''' mandatory ''''set up completely defeats the purpose of a lighter slide. there's no way i could use my usual IPSC sub level 2 loads, i now have to get back to hotter loads to run the 17lbs spring.
the funny part in all this is i got my G35 slide lightened ,but not drastically like the 17, the 35 hasn't lost any of his original accuracy doing so.
i'm more convinced than ever that the slots cut on top of the 17 is the culprit here which in my opinion modified something in the lock up of the gun, although after inspection , nothing perceptible visually .
Edited by sigsauerfan

finally ordered a KKM semi drop in barrel for my 17. will see , i settled a plan with the gunsmith to see if we can tighten up the lock up without hurting the reliability. thus getting the extra milliseconds needed to get the round out the barrel before it starts to lift.

Edited by sigsauerfan

Borrow someone's 17 slide. Put your barrel in it and shoot it. See what it does. Process of elimination.

already done. accuracy is back with the non worked slide. however, it doesn't tells me if the loss of accuracy is due by a prematured unlock of the barrel-locking block , a warped slide, or the vibes of the barrel who changed so dramatically that the accuracy went south.

Edited by sigsauerfan

in a last attempt at getting the original accuracy of that gun back,i've sent it to the smith for some specific measurements and maybe remodeling if possible.

however after a quite extended chat with a milling guy who works on military planes, he pointed out that the long and slim slots machined on top as well as the one on the left side of the locking block might have weakened the slide and it now kind of whip a little more than originally, explaining the sudden loss of accuracy .

at the end, it's not the amount of metal removed,it's more WHERE it has been removed and also the design of the machining style who could be the culprit.

Sorry to hear this. It does make sense that removing material on the left side of the locking block doesn't leave much material between the forward and rearward part of the slide. It seems to me that area is already the weakest part of the slide due to the ejection port.

Sorry to hear this. It does make sense that removing material on the left side of the locking block doesn't leave much material between the forward and rearward part of the slide. It seems to me that area is already the weakest part of the slide due to the ejection port.

yes. i've made the mistake by myself.

i tried to emulate the ZEV dragonfly slide. the dragonfly has a port machined on the left side of the locking block. where i've probably messed is in the design of the port ; shouldn't have drilled long slots. the zev has kind of squared ''windows'', not slots . on the zev , there's no slots on top near the locking block . the 35-34 guns has one port on top near the muzzle which is a factory made , but no lightening on top over the locking block .

learn to live live to learn. i consider that i'm lucky, did the test on an inexpensive glock LOL. i did the lightening on my G35 too, but we machined square ports dragonfly alike instead of the long slots of my 17 , and the 35 hasn't lost any accuracy.

my 17 is now a nice paperweight although i still have hopes a fix is possible. otherwise, i'll get another slide and will do the porting like on my 35.

Edited by sigsauerfan

talked with the smith today. he said he tightened the slide in specific points . like me he went with some measurements specifically around the locking block-ejection port and noticed some discrepancy points .

said he tightened it to get back close to the factory specs. although not sure it'll not whip more than before the lightening job , i'm confident some of the original accuracy might get back . i reflect that if we can't avoid more whip of the slide because of the slots drilled too close of the ejection port , maybe tightening the slide-rails in relation with the frame, some of the accuracy lost might get back .

before i could get all shots inside a quarter at 15 yards easy, but since the job has been done by a gunsmith, it's now a 3 moa at the same distance with the same ammo !!

3 moa at 15 yards is .45 inches. Which is smaller than a quarter...

Did you mean a 3 inch group?

my slide is back from the smith.

after measurement around the locking block-ejection port, evidences were right there for us to see.

the slide lost some strenght in the ejection port area,then enlarged a bit which is ''normal''' given the fact a slot has been drilled on the opposite face of the port.

smith used some modified tightening blocks made for 1911's slides , and performed a slide accurizing-tightening job . it worked. he'll send me the '''before''' and '',after''' numbers .

i'm gonna test it tomorrow , however i already noticed how the slide and lock up are much more tighter in relation with the frame than it was before , tighter than my still production glocks, now 2011 race guns alike.

i expect a dramatic improvement . i hope to see the original accuracy back,and more. finger crossed.

Edited by sigsauerfan